Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Breeders' Cup > 2014 > Breeders' Cup 2014 - Saturday Nov 1
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Breeders' Cup 2014 - Saturday Nov 1 Saturday Breeders' Cup Races - Discussion

Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #21
Lt1
Grade 1

The stewards did indeed rule that Bayern did cause interference at the start of the race but in their opinion did not violate the 2nd part of the rule. That maybe correct since it is a subjective call but common sense should dictate that you don't allow a horse to commit a major violation and still win the biggest race in the country. It is a major black eye to the sport. This is why racing can't get new fans. How the heck can you get them to invest their money when they see you can break part of a rule and still be the winner.
Lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #22
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Stewards and Racing

I won money on Bayern, and would of had no problem taking him down at all. My main issue was that we had no press release from the stewards or announcement on why they did what they did?

These folks closed up shop and headed for their cars and got the hell away as fast as they could.

Have some balls, make a ruling, and let everyone know why you made the ruling....................Don't take 24 hours to come up with a statement.
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #23
mildeu
AlwNW3X

CLAIM of Foul

No Jockey or Trainer claim?????
mildeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:02 AM   #24
wilbur porter
AlwNW3X

The social and political hierarchy in the Southern California racing industry is quite unique. I have the impression that it is a very "tight-knit" family and community. The Santa Anita stewards enjoy an excellent reputation. I am not insinuating that Mr. Baffert had anything at all to do with the decision, but perhaps had the offending mount belonged to another "New York" or "Woodbine" trainer, the results might have been different. I might add that Mike Smith would be very unlikely to object...remember he and Gary Stevens were both outrageously bumped by Luis Saez aboard "Will Take Charge" earlier this year in the Oaklawn Handicap. You have to keep quiet and take your medicine. It worked for Stevens...He ended up taking the mount from Saez thereafter. You will certainly see Smith have "more" opportunities aboard Baffert stake mounts in the future. There is a code of silence.

Last edited by wilbur porter; 11-04-2014 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Punctuation
wilbur porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #25
Bill V.
The egg man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1 View Post
The stewards did indeed rule that Bayern did cause interference at the start of the race but in their opinion did not violate the 2nd part of the rule. That maybe correct since it is a subjective call but common sense should dictate that you don't allow a horse to commit a major violation and still win the biggest race in the country. It is a major black eye to the sport. This is why racing can't get new fans. How the heck can you get them to invest their money when they see you can break part of a rule and still be the winner.
RACING needs to follow the pattern of the national football league
They need to adjust the rules toward safety and what the people want.
It is a tough call. Yes racing wants more fans. You are correct. But
many people just bet anything Bafffort So they had to go with their decisions
It's a no win for the stewards either way
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #26
Bill V.
The egg man

If I had to make the call I would have taken the winner down
I suppose people who really want to get into horse racing would respect the hard decision to take away a winners purse and their bet if the horse made a violation .

But money talks
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #27
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Here is an interesting pic from the break.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...e-sequence-692

I have watched the break over and over again on video, and i have made some observations.

- Bayern broke immediately to the left with his first jump.
- Bayern' head was straight at the break, he wasn't being pulled to the left before the gate opened.
- Bayern had a one length lead with the first jump.
- Garcia yanked on the rein three times with his right arm to correct the problem.
- Garcia, almost standing while correcting the problem had his body twisted to the right for leverage while pulling on the right rein.
- The horses head does not seem to react to Garcia' pull on the rein, how hard was he actually trying to correct the problem?
- Why did Garcia have such a loose hold on the reins at the break? His hands seem to be at the end of the reins, while all the other riders had a hold at the back of the neck.
- It almost seems that Garcia was not prepared for the start.
- it seems the horse saw the rail and was taking an immediate path to the rail.
Hoof 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #28
Lt1
Grade 1

The most objective response I heard on the incident was by former jockey Richie Miglore doing color on ESPN. As they were playing the slow motion reply he pointed out that on the first step it was not the jocks fault but then he said watch now he just keeps coming over almost looking like he was doing it on purpose. It is definitely a riding foul and it does effect on the start of the race for both Shared Belief and the other speed horse Moreno. He also stated that although the 9 did also come over he didn't effect the start.
Lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #29
Mark
Grade 1

BC Classic

I don't feel there is anyway to justify the stewards decision. If that race had been a lower profile race the horse would have come down. I was somewhat surprised when he didn't given that he basically took out the favorite and really all the horses to his inside.
The racing industry suffers tremendously from loss of fan and better support and is a shadow of what I remember as a child in the 50s. Besides the declining annual foal crop, half of what it was in the 80s, this industry suffers from lack of credibility. This is just another example of the ills the industry suffers. Even a novice could see that the start gave Bayern an unfair advantage. How can anyone see this and not think the game is rigged toward the big barns and high flying wealthy owners.
An opportunity was presented and again track officials chose to move in the wrong direction. I is a shame!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #30
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Hoof - Thanks

Hoof - nice post....and wow - The hands of Garcia...INSANE....he was not ready at all for the break.

Thanks for the Bloodhorse link.....

Happy Punting!!
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote