Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Selections
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Selections Post Your Picks - 1 race or a card

Old 08-20-2016, 05:03 AM   #51
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latekick View Post
Thanks Tim. Unfortunate second in the 7th at 15/1.

Quote form Dr. Sartin many moons ago. IF a horse is 9/2 or better to win, ALWAYS BACK IT UP TO PLACE.

Always double or triple the place bet
Old 08-22-2016, 04:20 AM   #52
Latekick
Grade 1

I apologize for my absence, the past two days in Toga were pretty busy for me.
I was playing in one of the low roller games there, and also had two interviews with websites interested in the area of attracting youth into the game, so i was all over the place.

As my Saratoga trip comes to an end, i look back on the trip and can't help but feel a little sad that i have to leave, but enthusiastic at all of the opportunities that have presented themselves, and all of the opportunities that will come from this week in Saratoga.
From an interview with Americasbestracing.com and insider pickinsider.com in front of the Oklahoma training track on a Sunday morning, to meeting some of the guys that were face to face with Pharaoh before he powered home to give my generation a timeless champion and earned his spot in history at Belmont.

I was able to finish off my Saratoga trip profitably, only by a small margin however. I am not at all upset with it. The fact that i was there on track every day and socializing with all of the new people i met from Pete Fornatale and getting to hang out with all of the DRF and other various website writers and even tv stars out there like Kevin Cox, Matt Hegarty, Brian Nadeau, Mike Hogan, Steve Byk, Mike Beer, etc.. i found it best to focus more on the social aspect of being at the track rather than my normal intense focus at home.
It was a great trip with many memories that were made. I met dozens of new people both in the industry, and out. I got to hear and witness some of the "insider stuff" that goes on behind the scenes and it is incredible how much hard work these guys put in.

I've got to say that Saratoga is everything that people make it out to be. There is hype for a reason, and that is because the hype is very real in the sense that the place is just incredible. Dinner's consist of not only your whole table talking about the races, but also every table around you talking about a Thursdays day racing. Comments about Marble Falls in the second who wired the field at 17/1. Or how Night officer won the 8th race when everyone seemed to have the horse at dinner that night, but tore up tickets as the 10/1 winner crossed the line earlier in the day! All jokes aside, the atmosphere in Saratoga is unique, and by unique i mean that it is like no other place i have ever been in my life. A guy who was at every racing day at Saratoga for 25 years straight is a bit jaw dropping isn't it? Good luck trying to focus on your dinner when you have this guy sitting next to you telling you 25 years of history and stories! It seems that the norm was just guys who love racing, have always loved racing, and love talking about racing.

Songbird was incredible by the way. I hope that when i get home later today i am able to post some of the up close photos i got of her. I also got a few videos of her, not sure how that will go posting here, but pretty cool videos none the less.

As impressive as she was to watch, the real freak broke from the gate at around 9:30 Saturday night. It was a mouthwatering night. No, not for the freshly baked pizzas being made and cooked right there in front of me. No it was not the smell of these home-made pizzas making my mouth water. Instead, it was Beholder and Chrome being walked into there respective starting stalls, and waiting to hear Denman's iconic voice 30 yards from the gate. Chrome is a freak indeed, and it was a pleasure to see him assert his dominance while i was enjoying a fire, Modelo beer, and a cool breeze in Saratoga Springs with some "degenerates" in their own right.

There is just way to much to write about this trip, it was as if every moment that went by was something that needed to be cherished while in that historical part of America where racing always has been, and always will be the pride and joy of Northeast New York Saratoga Springs.

I'd like to personally say thank you to Pete Fornatale, if you get a chance to read this. It was an unforgettable trip. Being kicked to the couch for a week was actually a good thing, that couch is weirdly comfortable. Weirdly as in, I'm wondering why my bed isn't as comfortable as a small couch with dog hair from end to end! It was the opportunity i was in need of, and am thankful for allowing me to meet, and connect with so many great guys in the industry. I know that wherever i go in racing from here on out, will be due to this opportunity that you gave me.

Now to some business!
Looking back at when i started this thread, i realize that i did not, and am not selecting and posting in the most efficient way. Majority of the time my own personal wagers were different than the straight-forwardness of just selecting two horses to win on here and betting them to win. I am not, however, upset at with how my selections were going and the fact that i was having a little unfortunate luck. I do realize that i had a few alternates win, some at very nice prices. In my own plays, these were big days for me. On here, it shows nothing, which is not representative of what is actually going on. With all of that being said i plan on not completely abandoning this work, but instead posting to it, or at least trying to post to it in real time, when my actual decision process is being made. Instead of only selecting two horses to win at $2, i instead will be posting my actual plays, in real time.
This could include exactas, doubles, win-place, and win.
Latekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #53
Tim Y
turf historian

The generalized Kelly criterion should push your wagering. BET more the more advantage you have over a contest.

If your numbers suggest that a 9/5 horse should do well and it goes off 2/1, that is not much advantage. If the same horse went off at 4/1, BET BIGGER since your advantage is larger.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #54
Latekick
Grade 1

Pete wrote a very cool piece that was posted to DRF this morning. If you are a fan of Saratoga and are not ready to say goodbye to the meet yet, DO NOT READ it! LOL! It will make you miss the meet even with 10% of it still to go!

In all seriousness it is a very cool article in which i am even mentioned in. Take a look if you are an avid reader of the DRF.

http://www.drf.com/news/saratoga-books
Old 09-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #55
Lt1
Grade 1

Looks like you had a blast Grant.
Tim
Lt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #56
gandalf380
Grade 1

Hi Grant:

Hopefully you will be mentioned next time by Pete as winning a major tournament.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:21 PM   #57
Latekick
Grade 1

I sure did Tim!

And Charlie, i agree with you on that one!
Old 09-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #58
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latekick View Post
Pete wrote a very cool piece that was posted to DRF this morning. If you are a fan of Saratoga and are not ready to say goodbye to the meet yet, DO NOT READ it! LOL! It will make you miss the meet even with 10% of it still to go!

In all seriousness it is a very cool article in which i am even mentioned in. Take a look if you are an avid reader of the DRF.

http://www.drf.com/news/saratoga-books
'Grant LaGrange, 20, of Lafayette, La., made a positive impression as well. Just days after having to be evacuated from his house by boat, LaGrange made his Spa debut anyway. It was great to see Saratoga from the eyes of a passionate racing fan who was a first-time visitor. “This place is unbelievable,” he said upon arrival. “If I could pitch a tent in this place and live here you better believe I would."'
Grant, you are schmoozing with all the right people Glad to hear you had a great first visit to the Spa! We should all try to get together there next year

Now, I hope you have a home to return to back home ...

Ted

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #59
Tim Y
turf historian

La Grange Georgia ...my place of birth a thousand years ago.

Quiet little hamlet about 40 miles outside of Atlanta.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:42 AM   #60
Latekick
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
'Grant LaGrange, 20, of Lafayette, La., made a positive impression as well. Just days after having to be evacuated from his house by boat, LaGrange made his Spa debut anyway. It was great to see Saratoga from the eyes of a passionate racing fan who was a first-time visitor. “This place is unbelievable,” he said upon arrival. “If I could pitch a tent in this place and live here you better believe I would."'
Grant, you are schmoozing with all the right people Glad to hear you had a great first visit to the Spa! We should all try to get together there next year

Now, I hope you have a home to return to back home ...

Ted

Ted

Thanks Ted! Yes we should, and although i won't be in my own home for a few months, i have made myself at home elsewhere! So all is well