Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 07-07-2018, 12:26 AM   #1
Bill V.
The egg man

Dr. Z's Beat The Racetrack -- republished

I saw this over at Paceadvantage

I hope Bill - Dr Z gets many orders, What a nice, very interesting handicapper he is.

Hope to see him again at Saratoga

https://www.amazon.com/Beat-Racetrac...the+race+track

Best Skill to you
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
gandalf380
Grade 1

I also hope he is at Saratoga. I have been using his ideas for years and have consistently made money with his method.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Charlie, Bill Ziemba told me he plans to spend the month of August in Saratoga. not sure if he'll join us, but I do plan on dropping by when I'm there.

And -- I'll return your copy of Beat the Racetrack which I asked him to autograph for you at Breeders' Cup last year

He's just getting over hip surgery last month so I'm not sure how mobile he'll be.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #4
MikeB
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill V. View Post
I saw this over at Paceadvantage

I hope Bill - Dr Z gets many orders, What a nice, very interesting handicapper he is.

Hope to see him again at Saratoga

https://www.amazon.com/Beat-Racetrac...the+race+track

Best Skill to you

I saw that too, and of course the discussion over there quickly dissolved into an argument about that book vs. others, especially Blinkers Off by Cory Fotias. Which is ironic, because Dr. Z. wrote the forward for the Fotias book.

But the good news is that the thread provided a link to a downloadable copy of the Fotias book. Free registration required.

http://www.predicteform.com/
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
mick
Abiding Student

Dr. Z "Place" Chart

I had the pleasure of "chauffeuring" Dr. Ziemba around Saratoga last August and enjoyed our conversations. I've heard that Andy Beyer "bets with both hands." I have no personal knowledge of that but I can assure you that Dr. Z certainly does.

Glad to see that his book Beat the Racetrack is being reprinted. I think it's required reading for all employees of betting syndicates (aka "the whales"). For anyone who isn't familiar with it, it's about patterns of betting inefficiency in the place and show pools. The concepts are simple, although the book is a difficult read for those who are math-challenged (like me).

His thesis is that the public is very good at estimating the chances of horses to win, but not so good at finishing second or third.

Here are a couple of screenshots to illustrate the point.
Attached Images

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
mick
Abiding Student

The first screenshot is from a race today at Thistledown. Twinspires has a helpful feature that provides the percentages of the pool that are bet on each horse. (Otherwise, you have to calculate the place percentage.) In this example, with a minute to post, 31.3% of the Win pool has been bet on the #1 horse while only 11.9% of the Place pool. That's a rather large disparity but does the #1 merit a place bet based solely on the tote action?

The second screenshot is of a chart I constructed using Dr. Z's formula for Place bets. (He also has one for Show betting but I'll save that for another day.) It's simple to use. Just find the horse's win odds or percentage on the left and follow it across to the horse's place pool percentage. At major tracks, the expectation should be 1.14 or more. At minor tracks, 1.18 or more.

In the Thistledown race, the intersection of 31% and 12% falls in the green with an expectation of approximately 1.78, so Dr. Z would bet #1 to Place. I bet him too and I think he ran 5th but that's horseracing.

Illustrated Glossary
Old 07-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
mick
Abiding Student

Here's the formula for Place "Expectation". "Wi" is the amount bet on the horse to win and "W" is the amount in the Win pool. "Pi" is the amount bet on the horse to place and "P" is the amount in the Place pool. Of course, you work from inside each pair of parenthesis outward.
Attached Images

Illustrated Glossary

Last edited by mick; 07-11-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Thanks for this Mick!

FWIW, RDSS Tote screen also shows these pool percentages, though rounded to whole numbers for the Place and Show pools.

Name:  WPS.pct.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  162.5 KB

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 07-11-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #9
mick
Abiding Student

It sure does! Looks like Blazing Buckeye (aka Rich Mathie) would be on for a Place bet.

Illustrated Glossary
Old 07-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
gandalf380
Grade 1

Expected value for show betting

Ex sh = .543 + .369 ((wi / w) (si/s))