Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
For The Lead
Grade 1

TIPS from Tom Brohamer

If you don’t already have “MODERN PACE HANDICAPPING by TOM BROHAMER”, you should certainly make it a point to try and obtain a copy.
In the event you don’t already know this, Tom Brohamer joined and was a Charter Member of P.I.R.C.O. (the Sartin Methodology) in 1983. He was also a “Teaching Member”.

I thought I would take a moment to post a few things he had to say in his book.

On page 48, Brohamer talks about ESP (Early, Sustained, Presser).
He starts with Early Pace. He says, and I quote,"The trickiest piece of the pace scenario is the analysis of Early Pace. MOST RACES ARE WON ON OR NEAR THE LEAD". He goes on to say,"A horse designated as "EARLY" WILL FIGURE IN EVERY PACE SCENARIO".

When describing "SUSTAINED" horses he says,"This one comes on late in the race, often after the issue has been decided.". He goes to say,"It's habitually in the last third of the field at the early calls, and wins by catching the leaders in the last fraction. First call beaten lengths can be deceiving. They'll often be within three or four lengths at the first call, but usually against slow fractions. POSITION IS THE DECIDING FACTOR AS TO RUNNING STYLE; NOT VELOCITY".

On page 15, it says that Brohamer practiced at Southern California tracks with various ideas and methods and winning consistently before he arrived at the most important conclusion of his career. "THE HIGH FIGURE HORSES LOST TOO OFTEN".

On page 20, Brohamer says,"This is another important point in pace analysis. A one run closer, the horse possessing only a strong third fraction, is THE WORST KIND OF PACE SELECTION. Only when the early pace AND presser scenario completely breaks down is this type of runner a viable selection. Even then, they usually settle for the minor purse awards".
Old 08-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Because I Can Jim
Grade 1

Thanks for that FLT.

I think people really do not understand how important running style is to a race. We "get caught up" in the numbers - me included. Beyond the definitions of the running styles, it is difficult to find one "compendium" about running styles. There are only bits and pieces here and there about it. Hey! An idea for a book!!! LOL

Thanks again,
Jim
Because I Can Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Lt1
Grade 1

Tom was also very good at the Saratoga seminars. Gave out a few good nugggets. Thanks for the post FTL.
Lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
vderdak
Grade 1

I believe when he spoke of position he meant actual position like 5th out of 7 runners or 4th out 6 runners and not lengths behind, he said to check the number of runners in each race to help gage running style. I know other books speak of lengths behind instead, it can get confusing as to which method to apply. Pace Appraiser talks of lengths behind.

Jim Bradshaw said he never paid attention to lengths behind but talked of position only in one of his threads in the match up. I would be interested in what others thought regarding how you determine the different running styles and which you find most effective.
vderdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Segwin
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Lead View Post
If you don’t already have “MODERN PACE HANDICAPPING by TOM BROHAMER”, you should certainly make it a point to try and obtain a copy.
Done.

Thanks for the post (s) FLT, you're very beneficial to this forum. If you have the time (and inclination) I would be interested in seeing a screen shot of RDSS show how to accurately spot the sustained and one run closer.

Thanks again.