Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You?
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Hat Check - How Can We Help You? Jim 'The Hat' Bradshaw - Learn The Matchup

Old 10-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #1
Houndog
Grade 1

Match-Up Information

Richie, or Jim from what I gather from your posts on the Match-Up the only information you really need from your Racing Form or whatever else you use is the Distance of the race. The fractional times of the race. The running position of the horses involved, and of course the program number of the horse involved, and company lines for tandems.

When you are doing the Match-Up what you do not use is the Jockeys, Trainers, Recency, Man-made class levels, work-outs, earnings, pedigree, etc.
I was wondering if I would be accurate in the above statement?

I am not trying to post here just for the heck of it, but I thought it might be helpful to get your opinions on this. Thanks-----Houndog.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
THE HAT
Grade 2

Houndog

Your statement is absolutely true. I do not use any of the traditional handicapping procedures you mentioned. If fact, I do not know to use some of these procedures. The other day I was working a race with Rich, that I had won. Rich came up with the same horse and later noticed
we had used a running line from 2004.

All I want to know is how the horse is going to perform in today’s match up. In order to do this it is best to concentrate on the running lines of all horses in the race and ignore all procedures
used by the traditional handicapper.

The Hat
Old 10-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
Turbulator
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HAT View Post
Houndog

Your statement is absolutely true. I do not use any of the traditional handicapping procedures you mentioned. If fact, I do not know to use some of these procedures. The other day I was working a race with Rich, that I had won. Rich came up with the same horse and later noticed
we had used a running line from 2004.

All I want to know is how the horse is going to perform in today’s match up.
The Hat
Jim, this brings up a question. Is a race from 2004 going to accurately tell you how a horse is going to perform in TODAY's matchup? Just because he ran a certain way two years ago doesn't mean he will run that way today--or does it? Or is it that you just don't care--a running line is a running line.

I know for me this would be a tough obstacle to overcome. I'd have my doubts about a two-year old line.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 10-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
gl45
Grade 1

From the MatchUp Red Manual, if I might quote:
"There are NO RULES in the Methodology, only guidelines....."
Old 10-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
sweetyjohn
Former member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbulator View Post
Jim, this brings up a question. Is a race from 2004 going to accurately tell you how a horse is going to perform in TODAY's matchup? Just because he ran a certain way two years ago doesn't mean he will run that way today--or does it? Or is it that you just don't care--a running line is a running line.
agree. The horse did run that race, but wear and tear might have taken it's toll
Old 10-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
RichieP
Grade 1

The race

Here are the pp's for the race Jim is speaking about. This way SPECIFIC discusion about a SPECIFIC horse can occur.

I won't post the result chart.

Race conditions and the 1 horse
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
RichieP
Grade 1

the 2 and 3 horses
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2006, 07:45 PM   #8
RichieP
Grade 1

the 4 and 5 horses
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
RichieP
Grade 1

# 6 was scratched. here are the 7 and 8 completing the field.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
Turbulator
Grade 1

In the context of the other horses (which are mostly dogs) Crocket's Way appears to be playable. He is definitely a contender. Betting two horses he would be one of my bets.

But as a single bet...I don't know for sure what I would do. His maiden win was in 2004, and his last good race was a while back as well. The first race after a long layoff might cause me to pass the race. I'm just not sure. It would depend a little on the price, I guess.

In other words it would take a leap of faith for me to single out this horse.

I have other non matchup reasons for liking this horse, but I won't elaborate unless someone is interested.

Thanks for posting the race, Richie.

Looking forward to your comments.