Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
socantra
Grade 1

2010 Demo Database - Help

Ted,

When you posted the latest update a couple of weeks ago, you mentioned you would be updating the demo database.

I KNOW you have been out of town and I am not pushing you in any way.

I just downloaded the RDSS install package a day or so ago and have not installed it yet. I am wondering if I should wait until you get the database updated before installing it with RDSS, or should I just go ahead and use the 2009 database.

Dick...
Old 09-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Dick,

I've got from Arapahoe (ARP) to Mountaineer (MNR) done (7 days each) so about half-way there! I run these over night. Give me the rest of the upcoming weekend and I should have it posted beginning of next week latest.

I'll show how to create a separate ODBC entry for the Demo Databases (e.g. both 2009 and 2010) as well as the normal main operational Database and then you can run RDSS with any of them depending on whether you're studying, or going forward collecting new cards.

Looking forward to your comments!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 09-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Dick,

To clarify, if you want to download the 2009 Demo Database, go ahead, then add the upcoming 2010 Demo Database when it's available.

You can keep both, separately.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 10-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
socantra
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
I'll show how to create a separate ODBC entry for the Demo Databases (e.g. both 2009 and 2010) as well as the normal main operational Database and then you can run RDSS with any of them depending on whether you're studying, or going forward collecting new cards.
Sounds great. Once I figured out what ODBC was, the idea made perfect sense. I am computer literate, but unfortunately, a large portion of that literacy predates Microsoft. I once spoke Ashton Tatese fluently.

I don't anticipate doing many live cards this fall, but would like to keep that database as small as possible. Separating it from the "research" databases sounds like an excellent idea.

I'm looking forward to getting a new look at RDSS.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

2010 Demo Database

Here you go Dick (and everyone).

http://www.paceandcap.com/forums/sho...newpost&t=7161

Enjoy - let me know how it works out.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
PassRace
AlwNW2X

Smile Demo Database

Demo database works great!
TNX
Al
Old 10-09-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
JeffH
AlwNW3X

Red face 2010 Demo Database Issues

I tried to download the new demo database; and I'm having some issues. I downloaded it ok; and I located the file.

The problem is how do I open the file. I am trying to open it with the my current RDSS program; and all I get is my current downloaded files, not the demo version.

I even had a friend of mine who actually builds computers look at it; and he can't figure out why it won't switch back and forth between the 2 versions or even open the demo version.

I do have windows "vista". Any help is appreciated. By the way, Fred Flintstone is more computer literate than I am.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
socantra
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
The problem is how do I open the file. I am trying to open it with the my current RDSS program; and all I get is my current downloaded files, not the demo version.

I even had a friend of mine who actually builds computers look at it; and he can't figure out why it won't switch back and forth between the 2 versions or even open the demo version.
You, or your friend need to try reading the instructions. In the final post before you download the database, Ted gives a very detailed step-by-step procedure for exactly what you have to do to switch between the 2010 demo and your current, "live" database.

It involves modifying the RDSS.ini file, which sounds a little intimidating to the non computer folks, but with Ted's instructions, it is really just monkey work.

Dick...
Old 10-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Jeff,

Your RDSS.INI file, in the [Database] section, needs to have the following line:

DBParm=ConnectString='DSN=Rdss Demo Database 2010'

and if you have multiple lines beginning ''DBParm=ConnectString=' then the above needs to be the first one.

If you have installed the Demo Database package, and if you can see a file in your RDSS Data subfolder (\rdss\data\) named demo_data_2010.db (the 2010 Demo Database) or at least a file which appears to be named demo_data_2010 and whose Type is 'Database', then the 2010 Database is accessible on your system.

If the DBParm term in your RDSS.INI Database section reads:

DBParm=ConnectString='DSN=Rdss Database'

then you will connect to the normal working database (which you appear to be doing). Just make the change shown above and RDSS will load up with the Demo Database instead.

If you have BOTH terms in the RDSS.INI Database section, then you can switch between them by placing a semi-colon character ( ; ) in front of the one you do NOT want to use (i.e. disable it).

Let me know if this works for you, or if you need any further help.

Ted

R
DSS -