Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 01-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #11
mick
Abiding Student

Hey, Darryl.

Thanks for your reply and I will certainly keep you informed. Having never been to Vancouver, I'm looking forward to this trip and having a fellow Sartin disciple show me around would be great. As the details firm up, I'll let you know specifics.

I appreciate your kind words about the Glossary. With all the work that Ted has been doing, a revision will soon be needed.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:51 PM   #12
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Mick, Darryl - greetings from ... Vancouver! Just arrived for a week of meetings in Whistler and Van. Probably not much time for socializing this trip Darryl, but we'll get together sometime soon. Alison and I are moving to the Island in a few years when she retires.

We all need to co-ordinate soon on Saratoga this year. I'll be going, for the same weekend or week as we usually do (Alabama weekend) August 18th.

Let's start a thread soon to collect this year's attendees (tomorrow, or someone else can start it!).

So not sure I can hook up with you Mick in Van in the Autumn, but let's see - maybe Alison and I will be on the Island in September. Darryl, looking forward to finally meeting you somehow, somewhere!

Cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #13
mick
Abiding Student

Oaklawn Park

I've just returned from 3 days at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas. It's an old track founded in 1904 but thoroughly modernized. The weather was mild, the sun was shining and the quality of racing very good, if somewhat unpredictable.

I lost $65 for the three days and all the damage was done on the last race on Saturday (yesterday). I was in deep on the late double, had hit the first leg and had half the field covered in the second leg. Needless to say, I didn't have enough coverage. "Bad Student" won at 10-1 and there went my double. Heck, I wouldn't have bet that horse with my ex-wife's money. Regardless, it was a good time.

There's a lot of history in Hot Springs. It was a big baseball spring training town back in the 20's and 30's. There's a marker on the sidewalk listing all the major league greats who played the ponies at Oaklawn. Not the easiest place to get to - seven hours driving from Nashville - but worth the trip.

Next month, it's back to my first love, Keeneland.

Illustrated Glossary
Old 03-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #14
mick
Abiding Student

Oaklawn photos

Here are a couple of the many photos I took. A lifelong fan of baseball, I enjoyed the historical connection between baseball spring training and the picturesque old track. The new statue of American Pharoah is very striking. He began his three-year-old campaign with victories in the Rebel and the Arkansas Derby, both at Oaklawn, and went on to win the Triple Crown.
Attached Images

Illustrated Glossary
Old 03-26-2018, 05:48 PM   #15
Mitch44
Grade 1

Nice pic's Mick

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #16
dlivery
Grade 1

Nice to hear all the great attributes.
Memories of all hall of fame horses of this great sport has been brought to the front for all us to enjoy it is just amazing.

Thank You again for your report

May all of your wagers be winning ones.

Lawrence
Old 03-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #17
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Great posts Nick

Nick,

I am jealous, a I have always wanted to head to Oaklawn; especially this year, as Justify (The Derby Winner) will be there soon.

You may see me in Keeneland, as I plan to head down and meet GUN RUNNER!!

Happy Punting,
Jon
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #18
mick
Abiding Student

Jon,

If you are coming to Lexington, let me know. We might be there at the same time. Also, make sure you have dinner at least one night at "Distilled at Gratz Park." It's one of my favorite restaurants anywhere.

Illustrated Glossary
Old 03-26-2018, 09:48 PM   #19
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Will do

Mick,

As we creep closer to the date, I will let you know, and for sure I will hit that restaurant!!

Happy Punting.
Chat soon.
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #20
mick
Abiding Student

Keeneland

I've just returned from four days in Lexington with our friend Don E. and his lady Julia. We had a fine time betting some difficult races at beautiful Keeneland. We also had some delicious meals. We had breakfast every morning at the Track Kitchen and Kentucky Burgoo for lunch. For dinner, we ate at Dudley's on Short, the Campbell House restaurant and Distilled at Gratz Park. If you like good food and you're in Lexington, you must eat at Distilled at Gratz Park. It's superb.

I want to thank to "rdiam" and "rmath" for their handicapping help. As tough as the cards were, we needed it.

I've attached a few photos. No need for snaps of the Keeneland track as you're seeing how beautiful the place is on TVG. The Keeneland clock is just inside the back gate where I've been coming and going for decades. The Blue Cactus Cantina is my favorite place to sit and enjoy the races. It's under the stands, out of the weather and located at the finish line. And the third shot is of Don with the thoroughbred statue in front of the Campbell House on South Broadway, which is adjacent to where we stayed.

Keeneland should be on everyone's bucket list. Not only is it a beautiful place, the people are friendly, warm and very hospitable. And then there's the bourbon ...
Attached Images

Illustrated Glossary