Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS > RDSS2 / FAQ's
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS2 / FAQ's Information, discussion, screenshots, videos about the upcoming version, FAQ's

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #31
Mark
Grade 1

Paceline Selection

Peterman,

I'll be 66 next month and I am a firm believer that, "Youth is wasted on the young!" I found this website 3 years ago and have studied the Hat Check Blog til my eyes bled. After 3 years, including the time I spent figuring out how to implement the Match Up on RDSS, I am comfortable. Do I hit 50% of my wagers, I am not Jim Bradshaw. But I bet win and place so I catch enough place horses at outstanding odds to make a serious profit when I my horse runs second.
The biggest mistake I see from the handicappers that post here is that they focus on the last 3 lines. Instead of finding the line where the horse finish well, won or very close up against the fastest early pace in his pps. Now I ask you if I want to compare horses don't I want to compare what they have shown as their best? I pick lines 9 and 10 back, I don't care. Once I get them I can see who was the fastest horse in their last 10 races. There will be horses that are obvious throw outs, never finished anywhere near against these paces. So you only have to deal with a few "true contenders" as the Hat called them. Now comes the skill. Can you work your way back to that line? Are there reasons that the horse can't run back to that race? The Hat had 3: 1. horse has changed his Running Style and become a slow horse, 2) Is he still a horse? 3) Can he still get on top of his fractions. Took me quite a while to figure out what he meant. Trainers today, particularly at the mid and small tracks play too many games to darken form. So if you stick with recent lines you get beat at short odds. Most of the handicapping world does that. You have the whole story of the horse right in front of your eyes, read it from the bottom up! Remember, long layoffs are good. No one is going to put a horse away for 200 to 350 days if he is completely broken. Depending on the trainer and the reported works you can get a feeling about a horse coming back. My favorite angle is 3rd start of the long layoff. The horse has had enough work to get fit regardless of what the return races look like. If he had some snappy works all the better. Anyway, us old dogs can teach these youngsters a thing or two. But as Jim told Richie, "Hush up, your mouth can make you deaf".
Old 09-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #32
MJS6916
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Peterman,

It makes a great deal of sense. But from being right on to way off, you never know. So I don't use them. I do use ITV however.

In my view final time is completely reliant on early pace. I don't know the percentage but I believe it is a good 50%. You don't get fast final times without fast early fractions. If you have a bunch of SPs and S in a race or slow Pressers, nobody wants the lead. You see it in turf routes all the time. You see Pressers who can finish against a 1:11 but some slow E or EP grabs the lead and they play follow the leader through 1:12. There is a limit to how fast a horse can run the final fraction, they are flesh and blood.

So it makes absolute no sense to me to make final time variants that don't in some fashion take into account the early pace and it makes less sense to apply a final time variant to early fractions. It's nonsense. I don't know why some really smart guy hasn't figured a way to do this. Hell, it has been done this way since early TPR days. Pizzolla showed how he adjusted DRF speed ratings by 2nd calls off his fulcrum pace. If I was 20 years younger I might make a stab at it, but I have gotten to lazy and so I just don't use them.
Mark,

I think you are correct about never knowing just how accurate DTVs can be.

And I absolutely agree that trying to determine track variants based on just final time alone is not good enough, and absurd without context of early fractions.

However, its clearly better than no assessment of track surface speed; and the reasons why no one has figured out how to do it (what I highlighted in bold) is two-fold at minimum imo:

(1) it's almost impossible to do without handicapping each race (before and after the running) which involves more than just crunching numbers on a spreadsheet.
Even with enough man-power or software creating knowledge, extremely time consuming. and,

(2) because it seems every one who has attempted this process only views it through either: final time 1st, or just velocity alone.
Class, current form and position at each call are still very hard to piece together consistently for virtually all of us.

I've only been back into the game for just a few months, but I've been attempting to piece this all together for only a few weeks.
A sometimes frustrating process that pans out for me at the windows from time to time, which I ultimately am convinced is solvable as far as
discovering a more efficient way of determining track surface variants.

Then I ran across this thread. Hopefully, I can be one of those who become smart enough to bring the pieces together.

http://sartinmethodology.com/pubs/RD...d_Glossary.pdf
Old 04-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #33
winning
Grade 2

Q: I got an error message with RDSS. Message says: RDSS encountered a conflict with another version of the ZIP library it uses and tried to correct the problem.
Please make sure the file XCEEDZIP.DLL exists in your C:\Rdss2 Folder. Please try running RDSS again to see if the problem is resolved. If it isn't resolved please look for the file XCEEDZIP.DLL in your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder. If you find it, please either DELETE it or RENAME IT, then run RDSS again.

There was no XCEEDZIP.DLL in my C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder.

Any help from anyone is appreciated. Thank-you, Brian

A: Here is what I sent you by email just now, for others' benefit:

Since the last time you successfully used RDSS on that computer, likely you installed some other software which made use of a ZIP management toolset named XCEEDZIP. Which overwrote the RDSS license info in the Windows registry for that same tool. Or -- some other change happened on your computer recently which de-registered that ZIP tool

Try this:

1. Go to your RDSS folder. Locate a file named REGDLL.BAT. Double-click it to run it. Usually this updates the XCEEDZIP tool to re-license it to RDSS. Then run RDSS to see if that worked.

2. If that doesn't work, uninstall RDSS. Don’t delete your database file (data.db) if asked during the uninstall! Then reinstall RDSS. This will re-register the XCEEDZIP tool to RDSS in the process. Then run RDSS to check.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Craven; 04-21-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:05 PM   #34
Ted Craven
Grade 1

RDSS Runs slowly Converting data

Q: I have been with RDSS for a few years, and the horse races are accumulating and slowing down my computer. I am thinking of getting an external hard drive and putting last year's races on that. Is this the way to go? Any recommendations on the type of external hard drive to purchase? Any other suggestions in this regard?

A: The size of the database file affects the speed of the Convert process in the Data Centre operations. I recommend starting a fresh, empty database file for each new year. Even if you download EVERY race card from EVERY track 365 days a year - your database file should still be well less than 1 Gigabyte in size. But it will run more slowly than with a fresh empty database file.

You should be making a backup copy of all your data anyway, every week . But if you prefer not to , you can simply copy your database file to an external thumb drive for deep storage. 2 Gb USB thumb drives cost about $5 in my local Staples, and 8/16 Gb thumb drives only a little more.

Look in the Data Centre, lower right box captioned 'Database' to find the file name and folder of your working database. Use Windows' folder system to navigate there and make a copy of that file on your thumb drive.

Next, in RDSS, on the Desktop, use the Data Mgmt button to create a New database file. Opening the New Database dialog box, creates a new database file named (cheekily): 'NEW Database (RENAME This Please!).db'. Scroll the list of database files displayed in your \RDSS\Data\ folder to find that file, right-click it to Rename it, then give it a meaningful name: e.g. data2017. If you see the .db file ending (a database file), DON'T change that ending part. If you don't see that .db file ending, don't worry about it - just rename it. Then single-click on it to select it.

You are then prompted to RESTART RDSS. When you restart, that newly created (and empty) database file will be the default database file for your next session of RDSS. Voilà - you have a clean, empty and faster processing RDSS database! If ever you want your old one back, or any other old ones as the years go by - simply use the Data Mgmt tool to Switch between existing databases. You could go back and rename your previous, big database file something like data2015-2017.db, or whatever. That way, you know what's what in your Data subfolder.

Most computers have LOTS of storage space these days. Your RDSS databases, even after a few years should not occupy a whole lot of space. So - keep them all on your main hard drive so you can go back to them if you want. But back them all up, please!!

Other Data subfolders you can clean up periodically to regain disk space are: the \Data\Cache\ folder and the \Data\PP\ folder. The Cache contains temporary files created whenever you Assemble a race for fast retrieval inside RDSS - also to store pacelines chosen and Contender choices made. if you know you'll never go back to resurrect an old race (e.g. with previous paceline selections), you can drill down into that Cache folder and delete subfolders according to year, track and date.

Downloaded TrackMaster data files are stored in the \Data\PP\ subfolders of your RDSS2 folder - by Year, Track, and Date. Once you have Converted these files to a RDSS database, their job is done! You can delete them (e.g. annually) or better still - move them to deep storage on your handy RDSS 8 Gb $10 thumb drive This also frees up storage on your main disk. (While RDSS cannot currently recreate a database out of these older TrackMaster data files, one day it will - so that's an argument for keeping them somewhere.)

The above ideas should solve your RDSS slowly Converting, plus recover some disk storage space, plus earn you a good data housekeeping award

Cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 05-02-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:32 PM   #35
The Pook
Grade 1

"Q: I have been with RDSS for a few years, and the horse races are accumulating and slowing down my computer. I am thinking of getting an external hard drive and putting last year's races on that. Is this the way to go? Any recommendations on the type of external hard drive to purchase? Any other suggestions in this regard?"

If you really want to get RDSS to snap along converting files etc., create a new database monthly. Since I started downloading all tracks a couple of years ago I keep all races in monthly databases and then delete them as I go along so that at any one time I have the past year for reference. If you want to keep more keep them as long as you wish. You won't believe the speed difference when RDSS has only at most a months worth of files in a database.

Pook

Last edited by The Pook; 05-02-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #36
TEPLHORSE
AlwNW1X

Rdss is slowing down my computer

Thanks Ted and POOK for your well explained responses.
Good Skill and Good Computing!
Old 05-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #37
sdahl
Grade 3

Does RDSS make adjustments to the ratings for horses coming from a faster track to a slower track
Old 05-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #38
The Pook
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdahl View Post
Does RDSS make adjustments to the ratings for horses coming from a faster track to a slower track
Everything but the original screen has every adjustment you can think of. So yes.

Pook
Old 05-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #39
mick
Abiding Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
Everything but the original screen has every adjustment you can think of. So yes.

Pook
Pook is spot on. The specific adjustment is called the "Inter Track Variant" or ITV by RDSS. TrackMaster refers to it as the Track-Distance Variant. It's derived from a detailed shipper study. You can find a 33-minute video at this website about how they build their speed figures: www.trackmaster.com/articles/thr/ratings

RDSS pulls the DTV and ITV from the TrackMaster data file and uses them to adjust its data. And yes, everything to the right of the "Original" tab is adjusted and equalized for distance (except for Tandem, Workouts and Trips).

Illustrated Glossary

Last edited by mick; 05-13-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Add exception.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #40
Old Arkie Gal
Grade 1

XCEEDZIP.DL Caveat

This morning when I tried to open RDSS I was unable to do so. An error message pop up indicated there was a conflict with the xceedzip.dll file. I have another copy of RDSS that has been renamed. I want to make some comparisons between 2 different config. settings. The same pop up error message appeared. If you read this and it sounds like gobbledygook, it is because you haven’t had a problem with the xceedzip file. I started looking for a fix and found one in the FAQ section. I followed the directions. Found the xceedzip file in both copies, but not in Win system 32 so I did not have to delete it there. I found the regdll.bat file double clicked and tried to reopen RDSS neither would open. I closed and rebooted still nothing. I think this may have happened, as Ted suggested in the fix, that a program, CCleaner, that I had downloaded earlier this morning was causing the conflict. So I went to the next step – uninstall. I tried that and got as far as the retry, ignore, ? can’t remember the 3rd option. I could not get past that part, but part of the program uninstalled. I never got to “the don’t delete the data base” option. I got a little nervous because my 2018 races were on the remaining RDSS. So I decided to do the update/install. When I finished, the reinstalls worked perfectly except all my 2018 races were gone. Boo Hoo. I don’t know what I did wrong. I have a bad habit of hitting the key board when something doesn’t work, that’s my approach to a fix . Also, I don’t remember everything that I tried and I roughly remember the order of my actions (my feeble 82 yr old mind). I just want to offer this message of caution to anyone having a problem with the xceedzip error message. Proceed with caution. Ted, I did get this message sometime during my button punching. I saved it thought it might be of some help to you. I will have to PM it to you if I can I don't know how to do it here.
Pat
Closed Thread