Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion > Speculator
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Speculator Speculator - FAQs, Technical Support, Examples, etc

Old 05-24-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

'Pace Makes the Race' for Sale

I aquired a number of copies of the 2nd edition of Pace Makes the Race from Dick Schmidt, one of the authors. If you want to get a good insight into the core concepts (though not all the concepts) of what makes Speculator and Validator tick, or if you are new to the Sartin Methodology and want to understand an important aspect of it, I would strongly recommend reading this book (or re-reading it if you already have it).

I got the original edition of this book in 1991, autographed by Doc, and had heard that the second edition omitted all sorts of material by Doc and Michael Pizzola. I was, however, unprepared for (and saddened by) the complete disappearance of any and all reference to Doc, Pizzola, Bradshaw, The Follow Up, The Match Up, or even a single mention of 'The Sartin Methodology' itself. I understand that all sorts of things blew apart after that time, and I'll not display my ignorance of events I was not a part of. Rather, let me simply thank Dick Schmidt for making these books available and for his contributions to the Sartin Methodology and to my own handicapping practice. The 'abridged' second edition is better than no edition at all.

Pace makes the Races, 2nd edition, is still a valuable base education in pace handicapping, and the explanation of the Total Pace Ratings (TPRs) will introduce the underpinnings of what has lead to the EPR, LPR and CPR numbers we use today in Val and Spec (and from these come Early/Late Difference and some of the other compound ratings, and thence Line Scores/Perceptor Rankings and Bottom Line/Betting Line).

I was going to photocopy a few missing pages from the original edition and slip them inside, but upon comparison, that would now amount to about a third of the original book, so I'll restrict myself to a chapter by Doc on The Psychology of Winning.

If anyone would like to buy a copy from me, please send me an email to: ted@ArtofPace.com The price is $20.00 US if you are in the United States or $20.00 Canadian if you are in Canada (check, VISA, MC, PayPal), shipping included, which about equals my cost. I have 8 copies left.

Ted Craven
Attached Images

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 01-22-2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: shipping prices went up since this first posted :~(
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:05 AM   #2
Turbulator
Grade 1

Thanks Ted

Your post got me to thinking, so I went through all of my boxed up books (I'm in the process of moving) to see if I could find my copy of this book and what edition it was.

I'm happy to say I found it, and it is the first edition, because the chapters you refer to are in my copy.

I haven't read this book in seven or eight years, but now that I have it out I will reread it as soon as I get a chance.

There are at least 50 example races in the text.

Here's a small quote from the book by Doc Sartin about the Hat.

"Once an inveterate loser who studied all these mainstream factors, Bradshaw became a consistent winner after I convinced him that "The horse runs the race." Thereafter, the horse became his only concern. A former track coach, now in the Oklahoma Coaches Hall of Fame, Bradshaw became the master of the Match-Up. His thesis is: "It's not what the horse can run, it's how it can run against today's Match-Up."

This is a gem of a book, and I highly recommend it.
Turbulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
tompkins
Grade 1

Huey Mahl's book is a gem as well.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

7 left

R
DSS -
Old 01-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Still a few gathering dust, plus a PDF of Doc's Chapter on The Psychology of Winning, omitted from the 2nd edition.

Ted

R
DSS -