Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS > RDSS2 / FAQ's
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS2 / FAQ's Information, discussion, screenshots, videos about the upcoming version, FAQ's

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #41
atkinsrr
Grade 1

Hey Mark...just read your post about picking pacelines...and I agree with you. Sometimes I go back 5 to 10 lines back and do a lot of studying on them. I also have a copy of the "Hats" book "The Match Up" on my bookshelf along with 12 other HCP books from different authors...including DOCs Pace Makes the Race plus a copy of all the Follow Up Manuals....what we do takes a lot of study and work, just thought I'd run that by you.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:34 AM   #42
Mark
Grade 1

Picking pacelines

In the last year I have changed the way I get to my paceline selection for each horse in the race. I still don't care where it is in the horse's pps. And I hope the majority of horseplayers continue to focus on the best of the last 3 comparable.Because that opens the door to good to great mutuels for me.
I have to project the 1st fraction of any race that I am going to wager money on. The better I have gotten at that the more money I have made. The options provided by RDSS are enough, perfect, No, but good enough.
Bradshaw used three questions to qualify a deep paceline: 1) Is the horse still a horse? 2) Has the horse changed his Running style and become a slow horse? 3) Can the horse still get on top of his fractions?
We want to bet on fast horses but we are looking at historical data whether the horse ran last week or last year. Horses change in the maturation process which will often change their abilities, to say nothing of injuries and the wear and tear of racing but if they are fit and sound they can often run back to or very close to there most recent TOP.
It all comes back to those early fractions and if you can't figure out a method to consistently project them accurately and measure each horse against them in today's race, then all the other stuff becomes fun with numbers.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #43
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Arkie Gal View Post
This morning when I tried to open RDSS I was unable to do so. An error message pop up indicated there was a conflict with the xceedzip.dll file. I have another copy of RDSS that has been renamed. I want to make some comparisons between 2 different config. settings. The same pop up error message appeared. If you read this and it sounds like gobbledygook, it is because you haven’t had a problem with the xceedzip file. I started looking for a fix and found one in the FAQ section. I followed the directions. Found the xceedzip file in both copies, but not in Win system 32 so I did not have to delete it there. I found the regdll.bat file double clicked and tried to reopen RDSS neither would open. I closed and rebooted still nothing. I think this may have happened, as Ted suggested in the fix, that a program, CCleaner, that I had downloaded earlier this morning was causing the conflict. So I went to the next step – uninstall. I tried that and got as far as the retry, ignore, ? can’t remember the 3rd option. I could not get past that part, but part of the program uninstalled. I never got to “the don’t delete the data base” option. I got a little nervous because my 2018 races were on the remaining RDSS. So I decided to do the update/install. When I finished, the reinstalls worked perfectly except all my 2018 races were gone. Boo Hoo. I don’t know what I did wrong. I have a bad habit of hitting the key board when something doesn’t work, that’s my approach to a fix . Also, I don’t remember everything that I tried and I roughly remember the order of my actions (my feeble 82 yr old mind). I just want to offer this message of caution to anyone having a problem with the xceedzip error message. Proceed with caution. Ted, I did get this message sometime during my button punching. I saved it thought it might be of some help to you. I will have to PM it to you if I can I don't know how to do it here.
Pat
Pat, I am going to just replace that old XCEEDZIP ZIP routine module - very soon (next update?). It gets cranky sometimes ...

It sounds like you are back in business though. Perhaps the 2018 database you were using previously was in fact residing in another RDSS-related folder, perhaps RDSS2 (distinct from RDSS2.1). If you browse your File System, you may find multiple RDSS folders, and if you drill down into the Data sub-folder, you may find a database (data.db?) or something with another name you provided (with a DB file extension) which has a very recent 2018 time stamp on the file. THAT might be your previous 2018 database.

IF you find such a database file or files, in RDSS 2.1, simply use the Data Mgmt tool via the Desktop button for it to Switch databases to that other one you found (use the file navigation provided by the Switch routines).

Unless you specifically said during the Uninstall to YES, delete a database type file (DB file), databases should NOT be deleted by an Uninstall process: they just might be located elsewhere than where a new RDSS 2.1 Install puts a fresh empty database (e.g. an older RDSS2\data folder).

I hope that helps. I am travelling at the moment and only sporadically available (and often with no or poor internet) until after April 20. But if you have not yet located you previous database and saved Cache race files, do send me an email and we can arrange a quick remote connection to snoop around your computer to try to find them, no worries!

Take care,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 04-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #44
Old Arkie Gal
Grade 1

Xceedzip

Ted, I may have found the problem. I discovered that File Explorer was not responding. When I looked for a fix, I found that non-responding may be related to indexing problems. So I tinkered with that, I did not have to do a rebuilding of indexing but that remains an option. Anyway things are running smoothly now.
Pat
Old 04-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #45
Ted Craven
Grade 1

That's great news Pat! I am concerned that you seemed to have 'lost' some of your databases or past data. If you still cannot find that stuff by next week, do drop me an email and we'll go hunting for it

Cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #46
cigar
3-3-1 - 3-3-2

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Most likely, when using the Database Management tool to switch databases, you chose a file which is NOT a Database file (i.e. does not end in file extension .DB or type = 'Data Base'). For example, perhaps you chose a ZIP file downloaded from TrackMaster from the Data Archive (\rdss2\Data\PP\2013\ ...) thinking it was a RDSS database file (they are only 'delivery' files from TrackMaster to RDSS - not databases).

This problem is discussed and the workaround is demonstrated in the Database Management tool video, at 20 minutes 45 seconds.

In short, open your RDSS Configure file in a text editor (e.g. \rdss2\Configure\Configure.ini), search for the line which begins: DatabaseFile= and change the file named after the = sign to c:\rdss2\data\data.db or whichever drive other than Drive C you have installed RDSS2 on). Save and close the Configure file, then restart RDSS2. Then you can try again to switch to a different Database (a .DB file, or Type = 'Data Base').

(Note: in future versions after Beta2.6-02, the software will prevent you from trying to switch to a file other than a proper Database type file.)

I did some house cleaning and changed RDSS file name from 2 to 2.0 and the config file had RDSS 2.

Back up and running - Thanks again
Old 04-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #47
Old Arkie Gal
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
That's great news Pat! I am concerned that you seemed to have 'lost' some of your databases or past data. If you still cannot find that stuff by next week, do drop me an email and we'll go hunting for it

Cheers,

Ted
Thanks Ted. My lost races reappeared when my problem was solved. Sorry I didn't mention that. I have used computers for some time and have never run into File/Windows explorer not responding and darned if that didn't happen with my new Dell.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:34 AM   #48
SouthSideRob
AlwNW1X

Question I'd like to learn more about Perceptor

Is there a thread or post somewhere in this very large and impressive information bank of pace race information. I'm a recent owner of the RDSS software and I like to get a better understanding how the program determines its perceptor total for each horse. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #49
Mitch44
Grade 1

SouthSideRob:

Look up picking pace lines and you'll probably find more information on it. I've written about it several times. You can also click on my screen name and it will show you all my posts making it easier to find.

There is also a current thread on picking pace lines and within about the Preceptor.

Welcome aboard Pace & Cap.

Mitch44
Old 02-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #50
SouthSideRob
AlwNW1X

Thanks Mitch. I'll do that
Closed Thread