Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS > RDSS2 / FAQ's
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS2 / FAQ's Information, discussion, screenshots, videos about the upcoming version, FAQ's

Old 11-30-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Maybe i won't have a choice but to wait..... Latest News

"Update: Looks like the Surface Pro is not coming to Canada anytime soon. Here’s the statement from Microsoft Canada: “Surface with Windows 8 Pro will be available in the United States at launch. With regards to additional markets, we do not have anything further to share at this time. As soon as we do have news to share for Canada, we will be in touch.”
Hoof 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Surface Windows 8 Pro

Canadian release will be February 9/13.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/01/23/su...ming-for-c619/
Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
gfnut
Grade 1

Surface Windows 8 Pro

Any reports from people that bought Windows 8 Pro and how it is working with RDSS? Is it the right tablet for the job? Thanks
gfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I bought the MS Surface Pro (128 Gb version) last week and have slowly been setting it up. RDSS2 runs fine on it! Much faster than any other computer I have owned (due to 4 Gb memory, 64 Bit OS, solid state drive).

The included stylus-thingy makes it much easier to left-and right click (tap) on small objects on the RDSS (and other older Windows interfaces). Fingers and mouse work well too, but sometimes precision is an issue.

The main problem I encounter is that with the native screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 - although it looks gorgeous on a large external HDMI monitor or big screen TV - when viewing RDSS in that resolution on the small 10.5 inch tablet screen, by default Windows boosts the font size to 150% magnification which results in an effective screen resolution of 1280 x 720 (i.e. divide by 1.5).

SO - the 3 panel format is not available (not enough vertical screen resolution). You have to pump the Windows font size up to at least 125% or better 150% (the default) and make do with a 2 panel format. Not such a bad layout, but I am DEFINITELY used to 3 panels when using RDSS. I don't see any way around this on such a small tablet screen.

Having this collection of smaller screen sizes for a week has helped me see several ways to optimize the alternate layouts for RDSS to accommodate more restricted screen resolutions.

Aside from that - and getting used to the new layout and touch features of Windows 8 - the Surface Pro is a pretty spiffy tablet, and I recommend it.

If a small tablet format is not necessarily what you need (10.5 " diagonal screen) and you want to spend a bit more money for a more powerful convertible Win8 touch-enabled ultrabook/tablet computer (11.6 " screen) - check out the reviews for the upcoming Lenovo Helix.

Because of the small portable screen on the Surface, it won't be my main work computer, but it will be great for taking to the track, coffee shop, beach or trekking.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
gfnut
Grade 1

Thanks for the reort Ted
Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
gfnut
Grade 1

Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Thanks for the heads up Ted, i was wondering if you were going to make the plunge or not.

Personally, i can't past the size of the screen, when we looked at it last month that was the dealbreaker for me. I think i will go for the Ultrabook with atleast a 15" screen, seeing that i'm slowly going blind.

One question though, for the limited time that you have had it, what is the battery life like? I can't imagine RDSS being that much of a drain on the battery.

Glad to hear you made the purchase and i look forward to checking out RDSS on the Surface the next time we get together, 30 days to go.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
raceman5
Grade 1

Dell

I think on April 16, 213 Dell is coming out with a tablet that has an 18 inch screen and does weigh in at 5lbs.!!!!!

Bob
raceman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof 11 View Post
One question though, for the limited time that you have had it, what is the battery life like? I can't imagine RDSS being that much of a drain on the battery.
I haven't done a specific battery run down test, but will try this Saturday working races. RDSS itself may not be too processor intensive, but a combo of normal raceday activities including Outlook, an ADW in a browser or 2, a video stream and a couple of instances of RDSS might tax that 4 hour battery life. I'll report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof 11 View Post
Glad to hear you made the purchase and i look forward to checking out RDSS on the Surface the next time we get together, 30 days to go.
Woodbine opening day (Saturday April 20)? Shall we celebrate at the track Team Sartin's 1st round bye in the PAIHL Contest Finals Does Mike have a game that day; let's invite him up!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Quote:

Woodbine opening day (Saturday April 20)? Shall we celebrate at the track Team Sartin's 1st round bye in the PAIHL Contest Finals Does Mike have a game that day; let's invite him up!

Ted
Sounds like a great idea, i was planning on going anyway and i completely forgot about the PAIHL contest, funny how that works out. They are on the road that day, and i'm not sure if he does away games, we'll have to ask him.