Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 08-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #1
Hanger
AlwNW3X

Few Questions

In 2018 I started learning some methodology and trying to implement things into contest play. In 2019- I briefly attempted RDSS but granted did not give a lot of time to it, instead venturing to HTR and being able to learn as I played. I found myself wrapped up in a lot of old Sartin thoughts etc and frankly there was too much to digest. I focused mostly on the fulcrum to assist me in understanding the pace and using lpr from there to figure things out.

Fast forward here and I found myself in analysis paralysis so I stopped using HTR all together as there is almost too much info, at times contradicting itself etc. I have been watching and reading here and see a lot of people following the 4 Method Ways and their own misc capping using the program.

I watched both webinars and I think this tool could be very helpful for contest and my daily playing as I it seems that it would help find strong favorites for doubles and what not.

Does anyone here play contests using RDSS as a primary tool, or are most here 2 horse win bettors grinding profits? I know win l bets and exactas are favorable among the posters but does anyone here use the software to put horizontals?together as well? I have seen some old threads from DerbyWars etc

I ask the experts, is the best way for the tool the 2 horse win method and foregoing contests with it or do people use it for more than just what they post here ?
Hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Hi Hanger! I think you'll find that many of the people who post in Selections 9as a small subset of RDSS users) bet horizontals such as Doubles through Pick4s (and 5s and 6s). Also verticals. I.e. all bet types!

RDSS is good at getting Win Contenders, and identifying contenders with finishing ability better than publicly priced (i.e. better than Win Odds, aka overlays). If they don' win, you should consider them for verticals (e.g. the 'longshot' category of the 4-Factor method).

It is crucial to identify true Win Contenders, though 2-horse Win pool betting alone doesn't pay what it used to, nor does it provide as many opportunities. Hence vertical and horizontal exotics.

For horizontal wagers, horses rated in the Top 4 Rx3 or by a 4-Factor rating approach which are also Morning Line Ranked 3+ (i.e. potentially longer odds) can be investigated further for inclusion. Of course, you have to do some exclusion work on a situational basis, as you can't just bet 4-horse horizontal caveman tickets.

Consider contacting members 'winning', 'dogkatcher' or 'sureshotlink' by PM for their take on using RDSS in Contests. My sources tell me they have been successful in the past . Others as well, though I can't recall who at the moment.

Good luck!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 08-11-2021 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added dogkatcher
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
Hanger
AlwNW3X

My email to you sent as you were typing Ted LOL, so apologize for the double type question albeit, not exactly the same LOL.

I will reach out to those you mentioned and see their takes!!

Of course every software is a tool, and how we use it is up to us.. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2021, 12:32 PM   #4
Mitch44
Grade 1

Hanger;

The Fulcrum is a fancy name for nothing more than Second call, which has been around forever and a day. By re-naming something makes people think they invented it. As Bradshaw said; The race begins at the start and doesn't end at the Second Call." SC is really just poor speed handicapping. But like Jonestown someone will always drink the Kool-Aid.

Sartin's concept of betting two horses is a sound one and practiced by most of his followers. Its aides the phycological aspect of the game as everyone will encounter losers.

Contests are a whole other discipline and most require a single horse bet, some allow EX and DD. Also there are restrictions on amount of betting etc. I believe contest require much more luck than skill however there is an Art to it. While the Sartin concept is a difficult discipline to learn for many, I would say contests are even harder.

Can RDSS, Sartin tools and concepts aide one in contests? Most definitely. One should grasp RDSS first and than specialize in contests. In contests if what your applying, as an example TPR and the type races required set up for your specialty, you have a big shot at winning the contest. Contests generally consist of a broad spectrum of types of races such as even MSW which several FTS in them. One has to have many different type weapons for success in contests, no different than trying to use a 22 cal. on an elephant or rhino.

I would say RDSS and Sartin's stuff is a great foundation for contests. RDSS contains the very best of Sartin's many years of research and some new stuff. Yes one can still get information overload in learning concepts but for most using on automatic and looking at 2 or 3 Factors they can get more winners than they ever got before. And with knowledge, plus an open mind one can advance to rise above others who fear change and can not adapt.

Best of luck,
Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 08-11-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
Hanger
AlwNW3X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch44 View Post
Hanger;

The Fulcrum is a fancy name for nothing more than Second call, which has been around forever and a day. By re-naming something makes people think they invented it. As Bradshaw said; The race begins at the start and doesn't end at the Second Call." SC is really just poor speed handicapping. But like Jonestown someone will always drink the Kool-Aid.

Sartin's concept of betting two horses is a sound one and practiced by most of his followers. Its aides the phycological aspect of the game as everyone will encounter losers.

Contests are a whole other discipline and most require a single horse bet, some allow EX and DD. Also there are restrictions on amount of betting etc. I believe contest require much more luck than skill however there is an Art to it. While the Sartin concept is a difficult discipline to learn for many, I would say contests are even harder.

Can RDSS, Sartin tools and concepts aide one in contests? Most definitely. One should grasp RDSS first and than specialize in contests. In contests if what your applying, as an example TPR and the type races required set up for your specialty, you have a big shot at winning the contest. Contests generally consist of a broad spectrum of types of races such as even MSW which several FTS in them. One has to have many different type weapons for success in contests, no different than trying to use a 22 cal. on an elephant or rhino.

I would say RDSS and Sartin's stuff is a great foundation for contests. RDSS contains the very best of Sartin's many years of research and some new stuff. Yes one can still get information overload in learning concepts but for most using on automatic and looking at 2 or 3 Factors they can get more winners than they ever got before. And with knowledge, plus an open mind one can advance to rise above others who fear change and can not adapt.

Best of luck,
Mitch44
Mitch, what a great and thoughtful response. I agree the fulcrum can be overvalued, but I admittedly got tunnel vision with it, because of "ease and truthfully, lazy handicapping on my own part"

The practice of betting 2 horses make sense- it allows the recreational player to sustain streaks etc, and I have long been a fan of some dutch betting with prices are appropriate. I think there are times when it is a good approach and one that will stand the test of time.

For contests, I agree there is a mindset that is needed etc for the big score, and what I notice myself doing is being inconsistent based on overlapping theories and concepts and zigging/zagging throughout a contest- I qualified for NHC and have won and did well in contests but then could not replicate, based on having a freestyle approach and not being able to repeat it.

I do think with the software and perhaps some track modeling one would be able to use that .22 caliber to shoot an elephant at least once a year!

If I had not been on HTR first, I believe RDSS would have gotten a truly fair shot from me in 2019, but admittedly, I was biased and that was the "it" for me-

I am not looking for a black box, or the end all be all of handicapping- I just would like to find a tool that I am comfortable with for repeatable performances both cash and tournaments and sustain longevity in this game.

Thank you again.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #6
Mitch44
Grade 1

I agree that dutch betting works when odds are appropriate.

To quote Sartin; "Inconsistency is the bane of handicappers." Even with today's RDSS. A consistent approach for contenders, pace lines and procedures is needed. Also a discipline approach to betting.

I think you'll be comfortable with today's RDSS. Feel free to PM me anytime and best of luck.

Mitch44
Old 08-11-2021, 04:47 PM   #7
Mitch44
Grade 1

Two examples today of dutching if you get the right odds Hanger.

COMPLETED:283cb-0e306 SAR #6 $5 Win 2, 5, 6 none $15.00 $37.00+ $22.00

COMPLETED:4f00b-83ba2 SAR #7 $5 Win 2, 10, 11 none $15.00 $74.00+ $59.00

Mitch44
Old 08-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #8
Lt1
Grade 1

Nice hits big guy.
Tim
Old 08-11-2021, 07:53 PM   #9
Hanger
AlwNW3X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch44 View Post
Two examples today of dutching if you get the right odds Hanger.

COMPLETED:283cb-0e306 SAR #6 $5 Win 2, 5, 6 none $15.00 $37.00+ $22.00

COMPLETED:4f00b-83ba2 SAR #7 $5 Win 2, 10, 11 none $15.00 $74.00+ $59.00

Mitch44

Nicely done indeed!!- had I dutched race 7 instead of playing 2,10/2,4,10 exacta I would have been happier with my day no doubt. Hurt having that $29 winner and not capitalizing because of the wager I attempted.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:52 PM   #10
rmath
Grade 1

Way to go Mitch.
Nice score.

Richie
rmath is offline   Reply With Quote