Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Tim Y
turf historian

innate understanding beyond books

One can READ about a being an astronaut, farmer, politician or prisoner of war until the proverbial cows come home, but the innate understanding of these, and many other areas of reason only really come to fruition by having first hand experience. MANY of the things experience teaches are NEVER in a book, outlined by authors or recollections related in the 2nd person.

You cannot know surgery until you are at the table and involved with all the intricate aspects that this discipline requires. The same is true, to a lesser extent, with horse racing: there are many many aspects of it that will never get across to those "on the outside looking in," unless they are on the grounds, back in the barns or out at the farms. From hot walking to following the farrier around, from sitting with the racing secretary to being with the vet all morning, one can never appreciate the hard work and hidden aspects that go on 7 days per week to bring those 8 or 9 horses to the third race this Tuesday.

Learn lock smithing from a distance? Don't think so. Understand how to fly a plane from reading material...Good luck

Behind those fences it is another world
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Tim Y
turf historian

reductionism vs holistics

There is a mania, it seems, in trying to dissect functions, ideas, processes etc. down into some heiracrchial structure in assuming that the WHOLE can be understood by separately examining the parts.

A very good book throws significant doubt on this manuever called The Tao of Physics in how the WHOLE affects the parts rather than vice versa.

It is a strong principle to have at your side in understanding a race.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
delayjf
Grade 3

Quote:
Behind those fences it is another world
I would definately agree, from my days as a groom, it because very apparent to me that there was a big difference between the backstretch (horsemen) and the grandstand (handicappers). Every horse has a story and the horsemen know that story and tend to base their handicapping on that information.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
tom
Grade 1

Worst handicappers I ever met were those close to the horses. Trainer, jockeys, fugeddaboutit. The game is beaten everyday by folks who never got near a horse.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
Tim Y
turf historian

[QUOTE=tom;42874]Worst handicappers I ever met were those close to the horses. Trainer, jockeys,/QUOTE]
NO one said that. lessons gleaned from being on the backstretch are more than the grandstanders ever could imagine.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
tom
Grade 1

Quote:
NO one said that.
Yes they did...ME!

I've never found any disadvantage to having clean shoe syndrome ( no steppy in crappy) and do ok. Lots can be learned in the seats and at home.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
delayjf
Grade 3

I can tell you from my perspective, that working on the backside didn't help my handicapping - it did help my knowledge of horses. The problem from my perspective was there was always just too much "inside information" swirling about. And when it comes from Jockey's / trainers, its hard not to buy into all of it. When bets involve horses under your care, it's a bit difficult to be objective, at least it was for me.

I know some guy who made a lot of money (or seemed too) using inside information from one or two trainers who I suspect were using alternate methods. Personally, I never had any luck. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you really have to fight to maintain your objectivity. I think I would do a better job of it today.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
Tim Y
turf historian

The Backstretch IS full of stories but the rational person learns to foeget most of that noise but remembers the horses.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

"Worst handicappers I ever met were those close to the horses. Trainer, jockeys, fugeddaboutit. The game is beaten everyday by folks who never got near a horse."

I have to agree with Tom. However, there is an exception to most every rule. No doubt there exist some sharp horsemen out there, albeit a minority.

Regards,

Jon
Old 11-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Steele View Post

I have to agree with Tom. However, there is an exception to most every rule. No doubt there exist some sharp horsemen out there, albeit a minority.
Case in point is Vancouver based Terry Jordan who's WOODBINE record is as follows Terry Jordan 79 30 15 7 $1,106,804

52/79 in the money