Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Contests ** The Bill Varone Memorial Cup ** > 2022 Bill Varone Memorial Cup
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

2022 Bill Varone Memorial Cup Our annual Contest honouring our website founder and late friend. Four weekend days - May 21/22 & 28/29

Old 05-30-2022, 01:50 PM   #71
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Congratulations again to mattshan (Blake) and to Mitch44 for their 1st and 2nd place finish in the Contest! And thank you to everyone for making it possible.

Since Blake is donating his Prize to the funding of P&C (thank you Blake, so generous!) - please everyone send their Entry Fee to me rather than to the winners. I will hold Blake's share (70% = $370) against recurring annual costs for the site and send Mitch his share (30% = $130), these amounts are minus their own $50 Entry fee.

For US based players, please send $50 by PayPal to sales@sartinmethodology.com (the usual RDSS processing address). Do NOT let PayPal force you to convert that to Canadian $ - just select US$ as the currency to send. If any problems, please email me.

For Canadian players, you can use Interac E-transfer (cheaper than PayPal) to send $63 to ted@sartinmethodology.com in Canadian Funds. Today, US$50 = CAD$63 (exchange rate by my bank = about 1.271).

Thanks again to Bill Lyster for stepping up to make all this possible for us. Bill, we love you and forgive any scrambles which happened at the end - something was always going to happen

Looking forward to next year! Have a good Memorial Day to everyone in the US, and Happy Monday to the rest!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:56 PM   #72
mowens33
Grade 1

Bill, Ted, thanks for all your work!

Congratulation's to Mattshan and Mitch44!!

Capcondo, Mike (Pook), Charlie (gandolf380) good job staying out of the RED.

Mike
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:26 PM   #73
Mitch44
Grade 1

With my winning I've decided to re-up with the great Pace program of RDSS and to donate the unlimited 1 month of downloads.

I thought of Ted's post about Bill V. and how he was so dedicated and made the trip to Saratoga despite poor health issues. One could see how he was struggling but was so happy to be there among friends. WE talked over the phone often but to meet in person was a natural high and so glad I did not miss the opportunity. With all his health issues his demeanor was calm and so happy to be among friends. For those that met Bill he left an indelible impression on you.

Mike (Pook) did such a tremendous sketch of Bill V, with his hat and always the 4 horse for the inaugural contest, a very fitting tribute. Again, great work Mike. Hats off to everyone keeping his dream alive with these contests.

Mitch44 aka"The Monkey"
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:56 PM   #74
Lt1
Grade 1

Well said Mitch. I got to spend time with Bill at the Spa for 3 straight yrs. He was always smiling despite his health problems. He maybe gone but he will never be forgotten by all of us fortune enough to have known him.
Tim
Old 05-30-2022, 07:58 PM   #75
Lt1
Grade 1

Congrats to Blake and Mitch on their performances in the contest and well done to all those that took part. And kudos to Bill for a job well done.
Tim
Old 05-31-2022, 10:04 AM   #76
Mitch44
Grade 1

Thanks Tim greatly appreciated.

Mitch44
Old 05-31-2022, 03:32 PM   #77
Mitch44
Grade 1

Future contests ideas:

1.Winners are the springboard for all types of bets. Weather an EX, DD P3 etc. without the winner there is no success to include just win betting. Perhaps the contest should be just win betting and Sartin theory of betting two horses. A third horse could be for an alternate only, for a late scratch. This promotes Sartin principals and teachings.

2. What a nightmare for the manager of the contest with all the changes and last-minute changes as we watch odds etc. Why not a pick and prey format where all picks must be in before the first race and no changes can be made thereafter. For the manager a much easier task and updates can be given throughout the contest. ROI is like gimmick bets in that if you can't pick winners, it matters not. The highest return wins.

3. A pick and prey would promote discipline and keep players out of the switches. Switching to longer odds plays to catch up. Odds don't make the horse run faster, all longshots are not created equal and must have something besides odds going for it.

4. The minimum number of races played, and amount bet should be higher to force play rather than sandbagging or coasting to a win. The best horses are consistent and best players are also. One could quit play the rest of the year when up with a small profit and declare a winning year but is that realistic??

5. How about a contest just for matching and only 1 horse chosen in the spirit of "The Hat" Bradshaw?

Everyone should add their two cents to make a better contest. I'm flexible and adaptable
if the rules apply to everyone equally, however can we make a better realistic contest?

Mitch44
AKA "The Monkey"

Last edited by Mitch44; 05-31-2022 at 03:34 PM.