Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-20-2023, 02:11 PM   #11
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleusin View Post
What is the password for the example data base please?
There is no password for databases. Databases are opened from within RDSS, not by clicking on them in the file system.

If you want to use a database from the Example Databases page, simply download it to your computer. When asked for a download UID/PWD, give the UID and PWD shown on the Example Database page. Make sure it ends up in your Rdss22 Data folder.

Then in RDSS, use the Database Mgmt button and tool to Switch to that database and restart RDSS.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 02:21 PM   #12
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latekick View Post
A branch off of this question:

Is it possible to transfer cards/data from one computer to another using the same account?

Basically, is it possible for me to download and work a card on my PC with RDSS at home, and then transfer the card and data over to RDSS on my laptop?

The easiest way is to move a database file from one computer to another. If your current database is ... data.db (c:\Rdss22\Data\data.db) then copy that file to the same location in another computer (or whatever folder your RDSS is installed to). If you keep the same database file name on both computers, just overwrite the previous file with the newer one from 1st computer. Don't overwrite a newer database with an older one. You can also rename the database file when you copy it. Then on the target computer, use the Database Mgmt tool to Switch to the new (newly renamed) database.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 05-20-2023, 03:41 PM   #13
tleusin
Grade 1

Send a message via Yahoo to tleusin
The link above the exit/or restart button on the desktop redirects me to forum sand tells me I am not signed
. What am I doing wrong?
tleusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:04 PM   #14
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleusin View Post
The link above the exit/or restart button on the desktop redirects me to forum sand tells me I am not signed
. What am I doing wrong?

Er ... you should sign-in/log-in (to P&C)? Possibly when you are taken to P&C via RDSS, it does not remember your P&C login?

Or you could go to P&C site in your browser, login, then go to the Example Races page: http://www.rdss2.com/example-databases

Like the RDSS software Download Forum, you need to be a RDSS user (or previous one) to access the Example databases. When you login, P&C knows whether you are a RDSS user, but if you don't login, it doesn't.

Let me know if that solves the problem.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 05-20-2023, 05:00 PM   #15
Latekick
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
The easiest way is to move a database file from one computer to another. If your current database is ... data.db (c:\Rdss22\Data\data.db) then copy that file to the same location in another computer (or whatever folder your RDSS is installed to). If you keep the same database file name on both computers, just overwrite the previous file with the newer one from 1st computer. Don't overwrite a newer database with an older one. You can also rename the database file when you copy it. Then on the target computer, use the Database Mgmt tool to Switch to the new (newly renamed) database.

Ted
Got it. Just overwrote the database on my laptop. The cards are there but the card assembly gets reset to default (all of my edits are reset to as if I had downloaded the cards for the first time)

Is there a way to have the edits save when transferring from PC to laptop?
Latekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 05:49 PM   #16
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latekick View Post
Got it. Just overwrote the database on my laptop. The cards are there but the card assembly gets reset to default (all of my edits are reset to as if I had downloaded the cards for the first time)

Is there a way to have the edits save when transferring from PC to laptop?
Alas, currently, not all data components are stored in the one single database file described above. Paceline selection and Contender Groups, TS Ratings (BPP & PL), quick Mutuel Results and (for Bundle data plan subscribers) Full Result Charts - are each stored in a separate location in a set of smaller files.

(Note: you do need to understand how to use the Windows File System to copy files).

For the COMPLETE movement of data from one computer to another (e.g. using a USB thumb drive) -

1. Copy the database as described above.

2. Copy the Cache data (paceline selections and Contender groupings):
- on the Source computer, in your Windows File system, go to c:\Rdss22\Data\Cache\ folder.
- to copy all Cached data for a given year (simplest) - e.g. for the year 2023, right-click on the 2023 Folder and choose Copy. On the USB drive, make a Folder named Cache. Inside that USB Cache Folder, right-click and choose Paste to copy the entire 2023 Folder and all contents. On the Target computer, go to the same c:\Rdss22\Data\Cache\ folder. Copy that 2023 folder (and all contents) from the USB drive to the Cache folder on the Target computer (overwriting the existing 2023 folder).
- if your database file has 2022 or earlier year data, repeat the above process for the corresponding year folders.

3. TS Ratings - similar to the above process, make a folder on your USB drive named TS_data.
- on your Source computer, go to c:\Rdss22\Data\TS_data\ folder. To copy all TS Ratings for year 2023 (or other years), follow the steps per Point #2 above, except use the sub-folder TS_data instead of Cache.

4. Mutuel Results - similar to above, use the folder c:\Rdss22\Data\Results\JSON-Mutuels\ instead of Cache or TS_data folders.

5. If you are a Bundle data plan user, you can copy the Detailed Result Charts (distinct from quick, succinct Finish positions and Mutuel prices) with this additional (similar) step -
- from the Source computer (via the USB drive) start with this folder and copy to the same folder on the Target computer: c:\Rdss22\Data\Results\XMLCharts\.

Hope that's clear enough without repeating the detailed steps of each similar process!

Note: on your USB transport drive, as explained, you just need to make separate folders to store the Cache, TS_data and Mutuels yearly data (i.e. so you don't overwrite 2023 Cache data with 2023 TS Ratings data with 2023 Mutuels data).

Further Note: a faster way to copy ALL years in all categories above (I.e. EVERYTHING), is - on the Source computer go to the c:\Rdss22\Data\ folder and mutli-select (Ctrl-click) the Cache folder, the Results folder, the TS_data folder (all 3 folders at once), then right-click on one of them and choose Copy. Then switch to the USB drive, right-cick in a folder you made (e.g. Data) and choose Paste. This will copy all the folders highlighted and all the data in all sub-folders of each - to the USB drive. (I did not mention this initially as this can be a LOT of data! But it's how you replicate everything on a second computer.)

Then on the Target computer, copy those 3 folders (and thus all their contents) from the USB drive to the c:\Rdss22\Data\ folder, overwriting existing folders when prompted. (If the Target computer is NEW, no worries overwriting folders; if it's an existing RDSS installation with data you want to preserve, well you have to find a way of merging the data from the 2 computers rather than overwriting. I can supply further instructions if anyone needs it.)

RDSS evolved over many years to collect more and more different data. It absolutely can all be stored in a single database file, and one day will be ...

Ted

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 05-25-2023 at 05:55 PM.