Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 12-04-2022, 01:37 PM   #21
Mitch44
Grade 1

In answer to your question Dan, no I would not eliminate % Med. It's a valuable tool, particularity with NTL type horses.

I personally use Preceptor for selection of Pace line only. For that there has never been a greater tool. However, using it on the analysis screen is useless and not a good factor to use. Several other factors are of greater value and far supersede it.

Surprising to many I also don't use the RX factors. I don't agree with some of what makes up those RX factors. While for most it does improve their game and they'll get more winners however favorites and low paying ones. CR + as an example is useless it is not an indication of class and uses odds for a determinization. The public is wrong 66% of the time on favorites and low odds horses., why would I consider something that is error prone 66%. Odds are just someone else's opinion. IMO EL is another useless part of RX. I would much rather see a list of top factors, say 10 and let the user choose the makeup of the RX factors. Then again there are those that would choose all 10 factors. Note: Any group of Factors is reduced if effectiveness by the least effective one.
" But just because I do not use them or I do not show a profit with them, does not mean I have a right to demand Ted leave them out. That would be pretty egotistical. What about the people that do like them and do use them?" My objective is help members better understand the program so that they can employ to their benefit and gain. Helping them to become winners.

Problem is some get overwhelmed with so much stuff and it misdirects the user into failure with numerous and outdated stuff. They never get it. They never achieve a full understanding or one's potential. The biggest problem for most and their failure is their held back by an overload of useless information. They don't know what is useful or valid to make informed decisions. For those reasons this outdated stuff should be eliminated. Well by being there this is essentially holding a gun to their head and holding them back.
For those clinging to old outdated useless stuff, good luck with that. At some point in life, one needs to get rid of the baby blanket and its sense of false security. Welcome to the real world.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:33 PM   #22
SinnerG
AlwNW1X

Just wondering, Mitch, if your comments above re Perceptor, CR+ and RX factors still apply today, in 2022.

I really enjoy and appreciate your posts on this forum.
SinnerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:59 PM   #23
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I too really appreciate Mitch's posts and points-of-view. He sometimes marches to a different drummer. I suspect he and I (and others) differ in our opinions about CR+ and Rx (hint, IMO they are very useful even in 2023).

If only I knew which readouts were of no value to anyone, I would remove them ... Meanwhile, since many years, you can remove any Tab horse screens which don't serve you by the Settings icon at the far right side of the Horse PP Panels.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 12-04-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:20 PM   #24
Mitch44
Grade 1

Yes SinnerG , they are just as valid in 2022. Besides those I don't use the segment screen, models, Visual ESP (RS), track profiles, Tote Board, Tandems, Track Master RC (Race Class) now there is a farce as it's based on the speed rating of every horse in the race. A horse that finishes last speed rating has absolutely no effect on class, Fractals, Balance, Sartin workout Speed Rating or workout patterns.

SinnerG see my thread on Beginners and refresher course for more tips etc. to get started off on the correct foot. Link below.

http://paceandcap.com/forums/archive...p/t-12316.html

Mitch44
Old 12-04-2022, 04:46 PM   #25
Mitch44
Grade 1

Ted the problem with removing a whole screen is that most screens contain both valid things along with some not valid. One just can't arbitrarily remove eliminate whole screens. Yes, in the case of the Segment screen but most screens no. I would love it if we could individually remove according to what's on a screen.

" He sometimes marches to a different drummer." LMAO Ted. In 20 years in the military, I was taught that the left foot strikes the ground with the heavy beat of the big Base Drum. 120 steps per minute. Most would think the right foot, so I guess I'm a little to the left and at times a contrarian thinker.

May the beat go on,

Mitch44
Old 12-04-2022, 05:22 PM   #26
DanBoals
Grade 1

Hey Mitch,

I am still not sure why you feel the need to censor data that helps others. Are you in the main stream media by any chance? I don't doubt your heart is in the right place, but your idea that giving people updated tools, like vectors over the older %med, is somehow hurtful is not very easy to understand. Is this one of those change is bad things? Or not invented here things?

Literally, no data or screens will be lost by adding these 3 numbers.

Ted has created something we have never had before, the export feature. When I play a new track, I handicap 20 days or so, then export those 20 days worth of races. In Excel, using Ted's spreadsheet template, I pull the winners out of each race and copy them over to the Win sheet. There I sort them by surface and distance which gives me a record of the last 20 days of races at that new track for each type of race they run. Then section by section, I look and see what wins at that track on that surface at that distance. It ain't rocket science. Some smaller tracks APV and CR are actually useful. At Saratoga, on the turf at 8.5f, LPR and 3F were great, but on the 8f inner turf, epr was better. The more things you can look at, the better you can understand that track on that surface at that distance. Why would you want a worse understanding? That makes no sense. If you look at your spreadsheet and see a positive correlation with a corollary, use it, if not, don't use it. No one is trying to force you use something you don't want.

Off topic, but kind of amusing, to me at least. As an intel guy, I actually taught counter intelligence at one point and the absolute easiest way to spot soldiers was their conformity. Ever since Napoleon, soldiers step off on their left foot. Super tell. Super easy to spot.
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:56 PM   #27
Mitch44
Grade 1

Sinner G I forgot to mention I also don't use Power Moves or X and O's for each line. That stuff is all included on the FPS numbers and Factors and the Preceptor superceded the X & O's.

Mitch44
Old 12-04-2022, 05:58 PM   #28
Mitch44
Grade 1

Dan, I explained it in post # 21.

" What about the people that do like them and do use them?" My objective is help members better understand the program so that they can employ to their benefit and gain. Helping them to become winners.

Problem is some get overwhelmed with so much stuff and it misdirects the user into failure with numerous and outdated stuff. They never get it. They never achieve a full understanding or one's potential. The biggest problem for most and their failure is their held back by an overload of useless information. They don't know what is useful or valid to make informed decisions. For those reasons this outdated stuff should be eliminated. Well by being there this is essentially holding a gun to their head and holding them back.
For those clinging to old outdated useless stuff, good luck with that. At some point in life, one needs to get rid of the baby blanket and its sense of false security. Welcome to the real world."

Dan, note I said CR+ not CR. Also, APV is part of CR. Those spread sheets are superseded by todays Match Up and are within appropriate Factors within the RDSS program.

"I am still not sure why you feel the need to censor data that helps others. Are you in the main stream media by any chance? " You have to be joking!! Anyone that would help someone sincerely would never teach useless stuff.

Peruse my thread on Beginers and refresher course. I'm riding along with Sartin. If it good enough for him, it is for me. Listed in above post.

Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 12-04-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:52 PM   #29
DanBoals
Grade 1

To each his own Mitch44, I guess.

If you ever feel up for the Pepsi challenge, pick your favorite track and favorite day of the week, and if you give me 10 days or so to make a track profile with my old and outdated ways, we can see who does better at your favorite track on your favorite day of the week. Maybe bet a hypothetical $10 a race? Let me know...
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:09 PM   #30
Mitch44
Grade 1

Get in the next contest on RDSS, see you then. BTY, I don't have to prove anything to anybody, just check out my posts as I've have posted many times with picks prior to the race going off. But as long as you have been around, you should know that.

Mitch44