Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 07:43 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Another RDSS 2.2 Update (fix TS Ratings/Mutuels problems)

For the past several days, RDSS has had problems retrieving various kinds of data from TwinSpires:

1. Prime Power and ProfitLine Ratings
2. Scratches
3. Tote data
4. Mutuel Results

This is an intermittent problem, arising from a new behaviour of TwinSpires servers in delivering data when queried. In that - some people experience it and some don't, some of the time missing and some of the time normal as expected. (Our favourite kind of problem ).

Even with the appropriate boxes checked on the Config Screen, sometimes PP/PL ratings are blank, Tote absent, Scratches missing, Results & Mutuels not appearing when prompted.

This is being tested by several people at the moment with a view to suggesting a workaround strategy hopefully within the next 24 hours, which will be posted here. I may expedite the planned RDSS update just to provide a fix to this - if I can program one.

Meanwhile, feel free to try these strategies and report if they work (sometimes they have!):
1. if TS Ratings are missing, click the Clear Cache button on the Card Summary screen then re-assemble the race/s - several times if you have to/want to - until you choose to give up!

2. Re missing TS Ratings, try UNCHECKing the Get Tote box on Config, Save then restart RDSS. Then reassemble races. If the TS Ratings/Scratches appear now and if you want to get live Tote data, now re-CHECK 'Get Tote' on the Config Screen, Save and restart RDSS. Now load a race or click Assemble ALL. This might preserve the TS Ratings from Step 1 and reactivate Tote.
The above advice is merely interim advice until I understand more clearly what is happening. In some cases, some races, TS has changed the way it delivers Mutuel Results when asked by software (i.e. an API query). No rhyme or reason that I can see (unless they are randomly f@cking with users of its API).

Feel free to post any reliable methods found to produce expected results.

This has happened in past years (random/unannounced changes to TwinSpires/BRIS data servers). Sometimes it was temporary, sometimes I had to reprogram everything. As users of this free public domain data, we must roll with the punches.

Stay tuned!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 09-10-2023 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:21 PM   #2
jberylec
AlwNW3X

Looking forward to figuring this out and fixing. Thanks Ted for all you do to keep us rolling

ˇAttention! All picks & posts are subject to my inability to choose winners. Use at your own risk.
Old 03-03-2023, 04:55 PM   #3
stormbringer
Grade 1

the Track gods hate me.....

One of the biggest weekend for 3 year olds and it hit me.
im downloading the second time on the convert is taking more time .

thanks for the work around idea.

Storm
Old 03-03-2023, 05:06 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Waiting to hear back from a small group of testers of a potential fix I made in RDSS.

Storm - check your email.

Ted

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 03-03-2023 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2023, 08:50 AM   #5
Mrbill
Grade 1

Issue

Maybe its a time based issue. I downloaded the races on Thursday for 3 different tracks, assembled these races and did some preliminary handicapping. All 3 tracks have BPP and PL available this morning.

I downloaded Tam this morning and assembled the races. Tam doesn't have BPP and PL available. I tried your workarounds without any luck getting the info.

Bill
Old 03-04-2023, 09:50 AM   #6
darmar
Grade 1

Downloaded LRL with your work around installed. Bris PP & PL were all there and correct for all races except for Race 1 ( which had an entry), both rankings were in wrong order
Darryl
Old 03-04-2023, 10:27 AM   #7
OhNoItsDoug
AlwNW2X

I noticed this problem this morning. I loaded half of the races before getting on the site and seeing this thread. I then cleared the cache, 2 or 3 times before getting it to partially work. I can get the races I did NOT previously work, but the ones I already did, even with clearing the cache several times, I still can't. For me, that is going to work good enough for today. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a new update when it's ready though.

-Doug
Old 03-04-2023, 12:09 PM   #8
The Pook
Grade 1

Wanted to play GP today but couldn't get the ratings no matter what I did. So I bought the Bris Ultimate PP's and got the ratings there. (Prime Power).

Pook
Old 03-04-2023, 01:21 PM   #9
jberylec
AlwNW3X

I've seen a potential pattern, at least for me, if I download one track and finagle it to work using the above work arounds, do my thing, place my bets, then move on and download another track, if the ratings dont show up I simply clear cache on this newer downloaded track, restart RDSS, and assemble this latest download and it works. Here's the key: to save time, only assemble the first race, if it works then assemble all, if it doesn't clear cache, restart RDSS, and try again. This usually nails it for me

Hope this helps
-Jesse

ˇAttention! All picks & posts are subject to my inability to choose winners. Use at your own risk.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:21 PM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

RDSS Update - Version 2.2.2023.61 (March 3, 2023)

I have posted an update to RDSS in the usual software download location:

http://www.rdss2.com/how-to-obtain - or click on the RDSS Icon upper-right of the website.

This is an 'emergency' update to address this intermittent missing TS Ratings issue. Since it is intermittent (so far as I can tell), it means that for some people, everything works as before all the time, where for others it only works some of the time.

If the TS Ratings are not retrieved properly as normal, please try the workarounds described in the opening post, specifically (if needed) the part about turning OFF Tote access - then RESTARTING RDSS, then re-assembling races to try again to fetch the TS Ratings. After that, you can turn Tote ON and restart RDSS. This workaround has seemed to work for a majority of testers, when followed as suggested.

That said, I will update the RDSS Install package as required over the next short while as I get more understanding of the problem, so stay tuned!

Also -- this update, while pretty stable, is NOT the final update I have been working towards for the past year or more. There are things there which are not documented, and several items which are not included though nearly ready. Lots of fixes of annoying Bugs, though.

Please only post your experience of this missing TS Ratings issue (and missing Mutuels/Results and Tote) in the Thread. Any other oddities with this update, please post to the Bugs Thread.

Good luck!

Ted

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 03-04-2023 at 01:27 PM.
Closed Thread