Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-05-2023, 09:08 AM   #11
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogkatcher View Post
Continuar OUT
King Russell IN

Rumors, Forte may be scratched.
Can't recall such a Derby with so many last minute changes
Old 05-05-2023, 10:27 AM   #12
DanBoals
Grade 1

This year looks wide open to me and RDSS is not helping much, I have way too many contenders in this race.
Attached Images

DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:58 AM   #13
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Skinner is out now as well. Down to 19 entrants.
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:30 PM   #14
DanBoals
Grade 1

Something looks wrong...

I just noticed on the BL/BL screen the numbers do not look correct.

11 Disarm should be a 7.0 BL Score, not a 0.5
21 Cyclon should be a 5.0 and
12a Jace's should be a 3.0

I do not recall the BL/BL screen ever being broken like this, is it the number of entrants that is messing it up?
Old 05-05-2023, 01:01 PM   #15
Tim Y
turf historian

THE BEST PACE OF RACE coming into this was the Santa Anita Derby, and initially it appeared that the top several finishers showed promise. NOW only one remains, the Japanese colt...BUT when one has a single line onto which to base this ones' ability, the possibility of One Race Wonder comes up. 1 2 3 5 14 15 22 all are improving. I had Skinner looking like the BEST of the improving colts before that scratch

Last edited by Tim Y; 05-05-2023 at 01:05 PM.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 05:04 PM   #16
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoals View Post
I just noticed on the BL/BL screen the numbers do not look correct.

11 Disarm should be a 7.0 BL Score, not a 0.5
21 Cyclon should be a 5.0 and
12a Jace's should be a 3.0

I do not recall the BL/BL screen ever being broken like this, is it the number of entrants that is messing it up?
Dan, the BL/BL numbers are correct. I spent some time just now going over them. Besides the fact that there are way too many horses listed to make sense, as you noted -

- the BLBL screen is sorted by the Primary Line Score (PLS) rank and whatever the BL score is, it cannot be higher than the line above it, so it is adjusted downwards to be in line with the PLS rank. When you move a horse to the Secondary Group, its factor ranks show what they were when it was in the Primary group.

- I am no longer explaining the formulas for anything in RDSS because onlookers simply use my explanations to help them duplicate RDSS/Sartin factors in their own software (though, I'm not going to take down old posted explanations). But your assessment of BL scores is not correct.

FWIW here are pacelines chosen by default auto-settings (your own paceline selections and mileage may vary). Scratches eliminated, and the #17 Japanese horse with one MEYdan line is demoted to Secondary:

Name:  KY.Derby.12.BL.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  414.5 KB

The BL Scores reach 0 with the #8 horse Mage. All of the rest of the horses are ranked worse than it on PLS rank, so their BL Scores cannot be higher than 0.

I recommend you take out non-contenders to get more sense from the remaining horses. Traditionally, we require a 1st or 2nd place finish in a G1 or G2 Stakes as the first cut; check Total Energy, BLBL, Late, etc.

That's all I got so far - I haven't done a detailed analysis of this race yet.

Good luck!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 05:15 PM   #17
DanBoals
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Dan, the BL/BL numbers are correct. I spent some time just now going over them.
Hey Ted,

Obviously RDSS is YOUR software, so if it is the way you want it, then it is correct.

It is not the same as Howard had it in previous versions of the software though, which is why I liked RDSS. In the old versions of the software from 90's, a 1 in the primary factors got a 3.5, a 2 got a 3.25, and a 3 got a 3, a 4 got a 2, and a 5th place ranking got a 1. This is pretty easy to verify as you mentioned in a previous post by simply putting in race numbers that show a horse with all 1's in primary factors, or 2's in primary factors, etc. so I am not giving anything away here.

The reason that the BL score is important the way Howard had it, is that a horse might not be able to win due to energy distribution, but its BL Score might make it the obvious place horse.

Now that I know you have a different way of calculating BL/BL than Howard, I can adjust my own numbers, but other people might not understand that the new software does things differently and it might be costly not knowing.

Thanks for the response,

Dan
Old 05-05-2023, 05:34 PM   #18
Tim Y
turf historian

One thing for sure, unless a choice here has very juicy odds, the Derby is not worth backing as too confusing. Exotic coverage would be FAR too expensive.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:37 PM   #19
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoals View Post
Hey Ted,

Obviously RDSS is YOUR software, so if it is the way you want it, then it is correct.

It is not the same as Howard had it in previous versions of the software though, which is why I liked RDSS. In the old versions of the software from 90's, a 1 in the primary factors got a 3.5, a 2 got a 3.25, and a 3 got a 3, a 4 got a 2, and a 5th place ranking got a 1. This is pretty easy to verify as you mentioned in a previous post by simply putting in race numbers that show a horse with all 1's in primary factors, or 2's in primary factors, etc. so I am not giving anything away here.

The reason that the BL score is important the way Howard had it, is that a horse might not be able to win due to energy distribution, but its BL Score might make it the obvious place horse.

Now that I know you have a different way of calculating BL/BL than Howard, I can adjust my own numbers, but other people might not understand that the new software does things differently and it might be costly not knowing.

Thanks for the response,

Dan
I understand your feedback about the points, however, I reiterate - the BL points formulas are UNCHANGED from what Howard provided in Val4. Someone can verify this if they really want, as we did in the early days when we sent Howard RDSS versus Val4 readouts for validation. RDSS may be my software, but it the original formulas are based on Sartin's software.

Ted

P.S. Check your PMs.

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 06:10 PM   #20
DanBoals
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
One thing for sure, unless a choice here has very juicy odds, the Derby is not worth backing as too confusing. Exotic coverage would be FAR too expensive.
I agree, this is going to be an exciting race to watch, but I think I will pass on the betting as well.

With Practical Move out, I have to admit, I really like the japanese horse, #17 Derma Sotogake, based on the TM SRs. If you think trackmaster has any skill at all, Derma S. ran the top speed figure in the highest class race of all the runners. Without a north american race to get pace data off, I really do not feel comfortable betting him, but if ever a japanese horse were to win, he looks like the one.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow,