Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 01-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #11
The Pook
Grade 1

Wow. I’m surprised that a modern spreadsheet like Excel would not automatically read filtered data. Without cutting, pasting, moving etc.

I have used an ancient spreadsheet called Lotus 123 on Mac for years, and you set that up to extract filtered data to a new range where you can work on it. Not RDSS work though because it extracts only to Excel.

So I thought I would try Excel. Thanks for the tips Bill and Ted. I will see what I can do. I would think I could copy filtered data to another master template, or another sheet and read it that way.

Bill I am experimenting with Parx and GP for now.

Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:38 AM   #12
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Pook, PM me your email,

I might have something you can use.
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:08 AM   #13
Mitch44
Grade 1

Can we try to solve other long standing problems such as a proper scratch routine,before attempting all this? Like going from simple to complex so a better version of RDSS is achieved much faster. FWIW my 2 cents.

Mitch
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:48 AM   #14
Ted Craven
Grade 1

The solution is to use the Excel FILTER function (not just the interactive filtering tools). FILTER is one of a new set of array functions, or 'spill' functions which operate on ranges and produce ranges - an amazing set of new tools. Excel 365 and later or other compatible spreadsheets will have these array functions.

Attached is an example of a reworked MasterTemplate which turns it into what I call a Model Database, which is the way we'll be evolving Excel modeling in RDSS going forward. Here are 3 days from Santa Anita 2021 Jan 8,9,10. All races selected pacelines from those days are in the All Sheet as usual. (Thanks to gfnut for providing a recent set of data )

The Filter Examples Sheet does 2 things:

1. the Stats block is moved to the TOP, with data below it. Stats are done for Rows 3 - 9999 (i.e. ALL rows).

2. The data part is drawn by the filter function in cell A13, the first row of data, which references data in the All Sheet. No data is copied. The data returned from the result of the filter function 'spills' into the space around the cell where it is specified.

The filter function specifies:

1. what is the source data (i.e. everything in the All Sheet)

2. filter conditions: in the example, 3 filter conditions are given (though you could have endless conditions) - Result Col I = 1 (Winner), Surface Col E = "D" (Dirt), Distance Col D >= 0 (All distances)

If you change or add any filter conditions, or if you add NEW data to the ALL Sheet, the data automatically updates, as do the Stats.

If you wish to maintain regular queries for different sets of conditions, just create a copy of the Filter sheet and specify different conditions in each.

If you wish to maintain separate Excel Workbooks to draw on the same data, change your filter source to reference the All Sheet in the file which contains the data (rather than referencing the All sheet in the current workbook).

To use this example with your own data, simply copy your own All Sheet data into the All Sheet in this example, replacing the data in the example.

This setup can be made more ergonomic by far, but this gives an idea of how to make this simpler and get started with creative filtering. After that, add the SORT function to order the results in desired ways. This is where RDSS is headed with Excel modeling (including automatic appending of newly exported data to the All Sheet of your Model Database file). Etc ...

Here is the sample database:

Model.Database.xlsx

Again, you need a current version of Excel or a compatible spreadsheet to make the new FILTER function work. Google to find out whether your Excel version supports the new ARRAY functions (including FILTER) and consider updating if this tool seems useful.

If your Filter Examples screen looks something like this, your Excel version supports FILTER.

Name:  filter.examples.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  100.7 KB

Here is one of my favourite websites for general Excel info, here, the FILTER function and how to use and specify it: https://exceljet.net/excel-functions...ilter-function (although any Google search on 'excel filter function' will return many hits).

Enjoy!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:16 PM   #15
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch44 View Post
Can we try to solve other long standing problems such as a proper scratch routine,before attempting all this? Like going from simple to complex so a better version of RDSS is achieved much faster. FWIW my 2 cents.

Mitch

Let's continue that discussion in a separate thread, here: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=131647

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:22 PM   #16
Mitch44
Grade 1

Ted is correct in solving this problem with the present version.

1. If your good at writing formulas just change it to reflect the last 20 races.
a. If so it won't delete the other information in the cells for that column unless you actually delete it.

b. Most need to delete much of their data collected anyway as its not current. I.e. thousand race data bases are insane anyway for one particular area. having a thousand race database is OK if broken down into smaller bytes such as by distance, surface and class.

2. If you can't write formulas just copy and paste into another workbook. That way you only need to get the formula correct one time, which should be attainable with help from others with real knowledgeable of this stuff or you fumble around to you get it right.(probably already done and there in the present day RDSS, unsure as I don't use it.

3. Use pencil and paper.

I have done a little work with Excel but I'm more a pencil and paper guy. The future updated version sounds like a vastly improved one over the present. For immediacy just work around it.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:43 AM   #17
The Pook
Grade 1

Thanks Bill, Ted, and Mitch for the advice and files. I am going to have to screw around with it for a while and see what happens.

Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #18
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

Just to add a little something about Excel. There are lots of things on YouTube.

If you are looking to do something there is a high probability that somebody has posted a video about how to do it.
I have learned a lot from someone who posts as ExcelIsFun.

He has posted thousands of videos. The nice thing about the videos is that you can follow along while you do your work.

Copying his stuff has enabled me to impress others at work!
DaveEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote