Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 03-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
mick
Abiding Student

A Good Saturday (3/18)

I am a two-horse, "hedge" bettor. I'll eat some chalk on one horse, the "saver", to get a price on the second. Doc Sartin said you should try to stay around even (thus the place bets, exacta boxes, etc.) and not get in a financial hole as you wait for your longer priced horses to come home. That's great advice and I've found that betting two horses with a short-odds saver is the best way for me to do that. Yesterday, in the span of 45 minutes, I had two of my long-odds horses to win and it made for a profitable day and a profitable 20-race cycle.

The first was at MVR 7 when Risener (13-1) got a perfect stalking trip on the betting favorite Shupanga and cruised past him to win and pay $28.00. Risener was 2nd on BL and 3rd on Rx2 and Rx3. At those odds, I could NOT NOT bet him.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
mick
Abiding Student

You can see that with the Oaklawn race, I didn't bother to eliminate the non-contenders. Those two big red E8s popped up with BL-ranked horses and the analysis phase was over. It was time to bet.

I completed a 20-race cycle hitting only 50% of the races but with a ROI of 1.45.

Illustrated Glossary

Last edited by mick; 03-19-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
Mitch44
Grade 1

Congrats Mick!!! And on your 20 race cycle.
Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
Bill V.
The egg man

Great lesson

Hi Mick
Those are two nice wins. I'm sure Doc would be very proud of you.
I moved this post to the teaching forum.

This is a excellent example of wagercapping and using all your tools
Good Skill
Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #5
Jeebs
Grade 1

Thanks for sharing, Mick. This is absolutely a great example of wagercapping done right. I have stuck with the Win bets, although I did dive into one saver exacta this past week that only served to cut losses from a blown Win wager. I still feel that I need more practice with the Win bets before involving myself in multiple pools. Lately, I have experienced the inevitable swings in bankroll, but so not to press in an effort to restore my account quickly, I scaled back a tad. It worked wonders yesterday at TAM, although I ended up eating chalk in a few races. It also has me thinking more and more about establishing my own personal odds line.

Not trying to denigrate Ted's work or the work of Doc and associates, but just like paceline/run style/output analysis, intuition seems to work best. Although the chalks I bet were 8/5 final odds (below the 5/2 guideline), they appeared to have at least an even money shot at winning and were sound wagers IMO. BL/BL and Rx are wonderful tools in their own right, but as Ted alluded to, they are not black boxes. The beauty of the Methodology is that it is ultimately user driven. If you simply let the computer think for you instead of providing your intuition to the process, it seems like it would be more difficult to sustain success.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
Lt1
Grade 1

Very nice work Mick.
Tim G
Old 03-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
mick
Abiding Student

This is the Oaklawn Park race in which the two E8s dueled far ahead of the field. The longer-priced horse #6 Abbaa won at (8-1). Oaklawn was fast, speed was not tiring and this one felt like a gift to a pace handicapper.

Illustrated Glossary
Old 03-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #8
Brian Chamberlain
RDSS Student

Mick, nice win. These are the kind of educational posts I like. There is no black box, horse 'capping more analogous to the commodities market than the stock market.
Happy winnings!
Brian
Brian Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote