Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 04-20-2015, 08:18 PM   #1
Nick66
AlwNW1X

Smile Getting Started/ Woodbine

Hi guys,

Just joined. This forum looks great!

I noticed there's a ton of good resources on the forum and in the Library. Any tips on where to start? I read Modern Pace Handicapping a few years ago but I'm pretty rusty and relatively new to the methodology. Any help would be appreciated. In the meantime I'll browse around.

Also, I'm from the GTA and I plan on playing Woodbine so shout out to the fellow Woodbine folks.

Cheers,

Nick
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #2
Latekick
Grade 1

Nick, read anything and everything you can here.
The stuff here is what will turn you into a winner. My best advice is just read, then read, oh, and then read more on here
Latekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
Nick66
AlwNW1X

Thanks LateKick. That's my plan.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #4
MikeB
Grade 1

The key to the Sartin methodology is pace line selection. Start with the Paceline Manual in the Manuals section of the Library. Note the manual password in the sticky in that section.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:52 PM   #5
Nick66
AlwNW1X

Thanks Mike. I read that and the Matchup thread by the Hat. Good stuff so far. We'll see how well I can apply it...
Old 04-22-2015, 05:32 AM   #6
CEW
Grade 1

Nick -

Greetings.....Since you are fairly new to it, I can recommend listening to a few of the seminars. I've listened to quite a few and believe the Las Vegas 1991 is one of the best. You can find it in the Audio Collection / Page 2 / Las Vegas '91.

Howard Sartin gives a nice long lecture at the beginning that explains what we're all about.

Regards,

Chuck
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Welcome to the forum Nick.

Are you planning on using RDSS? I highly recommend it.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Gil
Hoof 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
mowens33
Grade 1

Nick, I agree with Gil (Hoof 11) 100% on the RDSS recommendation.

I would also say that Gil and Ted would be your go to guys when it comes to Woodbine.

Welcome aboard!

Mike
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
ignacio todoberto bernal
Grade 1

Send a message via Yahoo to ignacio todoberto bernal
Bienvenido nick!!!!

Ignacio t.
ignacio todoberto bernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Nick,

Welcome! You're invited to Woodbine on Saturday May 9, Champions Lounge. My Mum's annual Woodbine Birthday party (81 this year)! Don't worry, it's a 'working' party (someone has to pay for it - LOL). We'll be using RDSS, the Matchup, and everything else we know - glad to show you anything you like. Gil said he might come, and anyone else who's in the neighbourhood: join us for the afternoon (sometimes there is cake ...).

I second the advice to delve into the Manuals and video/audio archives suggested - to get a sense of history of the Methodology and some concept about paceline selection for rating the horses against each other. Also - INVALUABLE - absorb the Match Up concepts described in the Hat Check Forum (give yourself some leisurely time), and follow along the working races weekly. RDSS has some very useful automated line selection strategies and Matchup assisting tools. Also, all the velocity, energy, deceleration and compounded factor calculations described by Brohamer and WAY more. Model keeping, toteboard analysis, Odds Line, etc, etc. All the mod cons.

BUT - I feel those who succeed in the long run get a good grasp of concept, which study of the historical material can help with, not just crunching numbers with software. Also asking questions. Then of course, understanding and developing a functional betting strategy, including passing. And MINDSET - focused intent, self-knowledge and self-control. Sense of humour helps as well (and proper spelling ).

All the best!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote