Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 10-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #21
Mark
Grade 1

Let's Go!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #22
Capcondo
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Wow, great to see so many people respond. So here's what I am thinking....

1) I am willing to put up a race or two each week for any newcomers (or matchers coming back off of a layoff) to lay out their own 5-Step workup of the race (running styles, projected pace, early / OTE, etc.) the way Richie did for us long ago. I will be happy to post direct individual and group feedback to anyone who takes the time to lay that out in advance.

2) I also like Tim's idea of threads dedicated to potential spot plays. What if we start a thread for each of a few basic spot plays like he suggested, and then anyone who finds a potential match can post a link to the PP's for that race. No pre-race analysis necessary, just a link and the rest of us can do the work ourselves and decide if this race presents the opportunity we're looking for (in many cases we come up with varying opinions anyway, which is fine).

Tim suggested Lone Early/Dominant Early Fighter and OTE against 3+ Matching E's. I would also like to add Sprint to Route. Those might cover it for now, but any other suggestions are welcome. What do you think Tim?
This all sounds great Pete. Maybe, when you do the 5 step approach, contender selection concepts like fastest pace last race and eliminations based on a horse not getting on top of the fractions he used to get on top of can be covered.

Thanks for doing this. The response has been terrific. I'm really excited about this.

Tim

Don't look back. You're not going that way.
Capcondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #23
viikinki
AlwNW3X

Match-Up is pure gold but difficult to do! I will definitely follow this thread!
viikinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #24
PeteC
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capcondo View Post
This all sounds great Pete. Maybe, when you do the 5 step approach, contender selection concepts like fastest pace last race and eliminations based on a horse not getting on top of the fractions he used to get on top of can be covered.

Thanks for doing this. The response has been terrific. I'm really excited about this.

Tim
Hi Tim, that sounds good to me, I will do my best. Honestly, I'm going to look to you and the other veterans to also give good feedback like that to the newcomers!

I will look for a race to start with this week. I will also create threads for those spot plays we talked about. Then people can just post pp links whenever they find something that fits !

Thanks to everyone for their genuine interest in learning or practicing the Match-Up. I hope the teaching thread will help with the basics and the spot play threads will allow the spot-players to help each other find more of those potential gems.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #25
vderdak
Grade 1

Pete,

Just a suggestion but lets try to match normally run race distances, I see these people trying to match long distances like a mile and half and I'm thinking why?

They are not normally run, you don't have much data to work with, why not match just the everyday 6, 6 1/2, 7 furlong or mile or mile 1/16, there is no need to learn from these real odd distances.

I would suggest we pull races from a brisnet listing so we all have access to the race ahead of time as well.

http://www.trks2day.com/trks2day.html

Just a thought

Vince
vderdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:25 AM   #26
viikinki
AlwNW3X

I am currently match-upping with a 1.14 ROI but I pass a lot of races. Main problems seems to be
- when can the E dominate the other E horses and go wire-to-wire with them being in the race
- maiden races
- races where there are bunch of horses that have run in different distances than today
Usually I just pass these kind of races.
viikinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #27
chuckg
Grade 1

Wow. I just came back from camping and found this renewed interest in the matcher's forum. I'm in, too.
chuckg is offline   Reply With Quote