Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Just another clarification

Okay working on trying to model Saratoga, but a couple of questiobs please

Muddy days forget??

Only take the winners line in the export ?

Now if you did not play the race, would you choose the winners Paceline for the race you did not play and include it with your model?

Keep it simple
Dirt-Sprint
Dirt-Route
Turf-Sprint
Turf-Route

Seems simple enough, am I missing anything, other than Excell, as I downloaded Open Office, does anyone use this and does it work just fine?

Now export is a cut and paste easy thing to do, but the info will definetly be worht every effort you make, right?

Thank everyone

Patrick

PS: Guess I could try MS Office for 90 days free trial , it gives me Excell in it for 90 days does it not, or is it only part of the real program, until you actually buy it, I heard that, not sure if true?
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktruckdriver View Post
Okay working on trying to model Saratoga, but a couple of questiobs please

Muddy days forget?? You mean today's races are muddy, or the paceline you chose to represent the horse was marked 'muddy' ?

It strikes me that it's more important to know how a horse responds in mud than to filter out winners of muddy races from your model. If mud winners won having #1 or #2 LPR and HE on dirt just as much as dry winners, why exclude them from your model?

If a horse today runs to your model when dry, but worse when wet, then its mud line(s) probably best represent it today.

Only take the winners line in the export ? Yes, for a WIN decision model

Now if you did not play the race, would you choose the winners Paceline for the race you did not play and include it with your model? YES. Finding contenders to bet on is independent of whether a bet should be made.

Keep it simple
Dirt-Sprint
Dirt-Route
Turf-Sprint
Turf-Route

Good enough to start.

Seems simple enough, am I missing anything, other than Excell, as I downloaded Open Office, does anyone use this and does it work just fine?

Now export is a cut and paste easy thing to do, but the info will definetly be worht every effort you make, right?

Thank everyone

Patrick

PS: Guess I could try MS Office for 90 days free trial , it gives me Excell in it for 90 days does it not, or is it only part of the real program, until you actually buy it, I heard that, not sure if true?

Activate it and see. What's the downside? Google for any limitations to the Trial version (e.g. can you Save data?)

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Bill V.
The egg man

play pass

Hi Patrick

I would not use a race for a decision model that I passed
The reason you passed the race was-----?
or off track or line selection had you confused
So I would not make a desion model on myself using passed races

Also You can use Open Office it was free once
might still be
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
clore1030
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill V. View Post
Hi Patrick

I would not use a race for a decision model that I passed
The reason you passed the race was-----?
or off track or line selection had you confused
So I would not make a desion model on myself using passed races
You wouldn't? If one passes a race because it looked like the short priced favorite was going to win, why not include the race.

For example, my decision model may show that at one-mile, 50% of the winners are ranked #1 in TT. My purpose for keeping a model is that hopefully I'll come up with a race where the horse ranked #1 in TT is paying a better price.

I've caught some nice boxcars by passing races, including them in my model and looking for price. I had two $40.00+ winners during the winter meet at AQU using a similar plan.
clore1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Bill V.
The egg man

factor model

Good point I can see your view If you wanting to see how certain factors are ranked
for your winners

Your way my way its our Decision
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Thank you Gentlemen

Great info and will adhere to almost all of it, makes great sense all of it.

Now something I forgot, the actual Main Model, the Master Program that I make copies of for the tracks and distances I plan to use, where do I find or get this.

Bill you use Open Office, am I right? Dind't you help me last time to set it up, sorry I forgot, but then I am not sure, but I do believe it worked with OO, before I had to take my hiatus.

Now if it does not , then I will try a free trial of MS Office and check to see if it saves.

I watched the video a few times and will again, as it is short and to the point, I think I can do it, so I'm willing to try...what can it hurt??

Patrick
Old 07-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktruckdriver View Post
Now something I forgot, the actual Main Model, the Master Program that I make copies of for the tracks and distances I plan to use, where do I find or get this.
Read the Release Notes: http://www.sartinmethodology.com/rds...ase_notes_0988

Quote:
What's Provided

When you install RDSS Version 0.98.8, you get a new sub-folder within your RDSS folder: Models. I suggest you make a shortcut on your Desktop (using Windows Explorer) to this new Models folder for easy access. In the Models folder are initially 2 files: MasterTemplate.xls and DMR20090725-03.xls. If you want RDSS to create export files is CSV format, make another sub-folder within the Models folder named CSV, and look there for the CSV files.
Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Thanks again

I found the Master Template, now to make and copy it into what I need, rename it and I only got 5 more free tries with my current Excell freebie, the one that came with the computer. Then what??, oh well, will just need a good 10.00 WP bet or 2 to get the full version, for 149.99, lol

Will try later, too tired , as 3am comes again real soon, thank Ted, Bill and clore1030

patrick
Old 07-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
clore1030
Grade 1

I would suggest making the distinction between the main and inner turf courses.

As far as the main track goes, I find that it is still better to keep the distances separate. For example, 6 1/2 and 7 Furlong races show a definite preference for horses with a top LPR figure. The profile for either of those is a lot different than the one for 6 Furlongs at Saratoga.
clore1030 is offline   Reply With Quote