Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 07-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
tonicfan
AlwNW1X

Original Guidelines

Hello All,

I am new here... and have been reading the forums for quite some time.... but I finally decided to try RDSS after being an HTR user for quite some time. I am all about learning this game and trying to become a consistent winner.

I noticed in a lot of these posts people are talking about the "ORIGINAL GUIDELINES" Yet no one links to those... I know there are lots of the old newsletters that are on here but that PDF is 1400 pages, so I am assuming the Original Guidelines are in there somewhere, or maybe someone has made a separate PDF or post that outlines specifically what the original guidelines are in a concise format?

If so where can I find this information?

I am getting information overload here on the forum and some stuff is very interesting to read but I am the type of guy who wants to follow the guidelines of how the methodology works first. That is how one learns. I dont have time to read 1400 pages of newsletters. While I would like to read them in my spare time, some of those scans are really hard to read..

I am hoping someone has put together something a little more concise on the "Original Guidelines" somewhere but I cannot seem to find it. Maybe I am blind or just looking in the wrong place or both

Thank you for the assistance.
tonicfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
mick
Abiding Student

Hi, tonicfan.

Unfortunately, I do not know of a "Cliff Notes" version of the original methodology guidelines. If someone decided to create it, he probably would need to start with the Yellow Manual and then work his way through all of the Follow Ups. That will be a lot more than 1,400 pages. I think issues 70-88 are that much.

There are two problems with original guidelines though. First, the methodology evolved through the years and I think that's why Ted just recommends Follow Ups 70-88. The content of those issues probably represents most of the methodology as Doc Sartin left it. Second, the game itself has changed significantly from those early PIRCO days. I don't know that the original guidelines would help you much today.

My recommendation would be to read Follow Ups 70-88, takes some notes, and then do some 20-race cycles. If you play exactas, by all means read the "55% Solution". I've never found anything better at helping find the place horse.

Good luck, good skill and best wishes.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #3
mick
Abiding Student

If you're interested in my notes, send me your email and I'll forward them to you. They're 21 single-spaced pages and completely unedited. (Nothing like the Illustrated Glossary.) I don't know how much benefit they will be. With me, it's the making of the notes that helps me learn, less so the reading. By the way, it's just issues 70-88.

I tried to attach them to this post but the file is too big.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #4
tonicfan
AlwNW1X

HeyMick,

Thanks for the info. I was referring to the Follow Ups which are newsletters 70-88 which come out to 1400 pages, which is a bit much for me at this time. I will definitely check out the part you suggested, maybe I just need to scroll through there a little more to see what else is in there. Honestly I spent maybe 30 mins on it last night just trying to find topics in there and noticed there was just a ton of stuff in there that would take along time to go through.

I had found FTL's approach to handicapping to be interesting and much more concise on how to pick contenders especially with the software which is important since that's what I will be using and I like how its laid out in multiple PDFs for reference.
http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11449

That's kind of what I was looking for. As many people seemed to be referring to the "Original Guidelines" or the "Guidelines" in a post somewhat critical of FTL's strategy, I wanted to see what those were specifically. However, I found his strategy to be interesting and easy to learn.. I havent really gone through that many races with his concept yet, only a card or so but I did find it useful. But when people on the forum refer to the original guidelines, its hard for someone new like me to know what they are referring to when I dont know what the guidelines are, for example for line selection thats seems to be the main thing. And there are others as well. I found the software's glossary and another pdf that had some info on the software itself as well with some detailed images etc which is helpful, but the lack of actual instructions on how to use the software with the Sartin Methodology is what is concerning me. I'm willing to give it a go, but if I dont know what Im looking for in the those 1400 pages its gonna take me a long time to get through that... also the there seems to be a lack of videos on here with the software explaining how the method applies with the software etc. I think Bill V. did one that I watched and I know that Ted did one, but they both seem to have different approaches... correct me if I'm wrong, I've been looking at so much stuff on here lately I may have missed something. Seminar videos are ok if you already know what they are talking about, but I think in the 21st century having instructional videos using the software and talking about the methodology and how to apply it to race cards would be a good addition here. I dont mind reading, but 1400 pages seems extreme. I'm not trying to be a veterinarian at the race track, I'm just trying to enhance my handicapping ability and get more winners

I'd love your notes.. i can PM you my email.

I will go through that PDF again today and see what nuggets I can find in there if that's all there is on that subject that's all ive got to work with then I guess I'll deal with that

Thanks for replying

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Hi, tonicfan.

Unfortunately, I do not know of a "Cliff Notes" version of the original methodology guidelines. If someone decided to create it, he probably would need to start with the Yellow Manual and then work his way through all of the Follow Ups. That will be a lot more than 1,400 pages. I think issues 70-88 are that much.

There are two problems with original guidelines though. First, the methodology evolved through the years and I think that's why Ted just recommends Follow Ups 70-88. The content of those issues probably represents most of the methodology as Doc Sartin left it. Second, the game itself has changed significantly from those early PIRCO days. I don't know that the original guidelines would help you much today.

My recommendation would be to read Follow Ups 70-88, takes some notes, and then do some 20-race cycles. If you play exactas, by all means read the "55% Solution". I've never found anything better at helping find the place horse.

Good luck, good skill and best wishes.

Last edited by tonicfan; 07-07-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
MJS6916
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicfan View Post
HeyMick,

Thanks for the info. I was referring to the Follow Ups which are newsletters 70-88 which come out to 1400 pages, which is a bit much for me at this time. I will definitely check out the part you suggested, maybe I just need to scroll through there a little more to see what else is in there. Honestly I spent maybe 30 mins on it last night just trying to find topics in there and noticed there was just a ton of stuff in there that would take along time to go through.

I had found FTL's approach to handicapping to be interesting and much more concise on how to pick contenders especially with the software which is important since that's what I will be using and I like how its laid out in multiple PDFs for reference.
http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11449

Hello tonicfan,

I'll state this isn't the worst time to do more studying, only because there's still a lot of events out there that feature fields
where more than half of the runners haven't had a race in over 110 days.

I, personally, am treading lightly until I can see a lot more races with at least 2/3 of the field with 2 or more races in their last 75 days.

This virus outbreak has made it harder to see which trainers had their horses ready off of 100+day layoffs versus
whoever is just putting them out on the track to get one or more races into them before having them in shape.

I think it makes sense since no one knew, until 4 months ago, this was going to happen.

Good luck to you,
Mike
MJS6916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
tonicfan
AlwNW1X

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS6916 View Post
Hello tonicfan,

I'll state this isn't the worst time to do more studying, only because there's still a lot of events out there that feature fields
where more than half of the runners haven't had a race in over 110 days.

I, personally, am treading lightly until I can see a lot more races with at least 2/3 of the field with 2 or more races in their last 75 days.

This virus outbreak has made it harder to see which trainers had their horses ready off of 100+day layoffs versus
whoever is just putting them out on the track to get one or more races into them before having them in shape.

I think it makes sense since no one knew, until 4 months ago, this was going to happen.

Good luck to you,
Mike

Thanks Mike... I was actually thinking similarly since Ive been looking into this style of handicapping. Although many trainers during the virus were still been working out the horses, they were just unable to race them.... but as we all know a race is much better than a workout

I am not trying to rush things at all.. but at the same time I want to make sure I am not missing specifics. I've been at this game for 15 years now off and on and am still wanting to learn more ways of picking winners. Or I should say a more consistent way of picking winners is what I seek.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #7
MJS6916
Grade 1

i found this thread last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicfan View Post
Thanks Mike... I was actually thinking similarly since Ive been looking into this style of handicapping. Although many trainers during the virus were still been working out the horses, they were just unable to race them.... but as we all know a race is much better than a workout

I am not trying to rush things at all.. but at the same time I want to make sure I am not missing specifics. I've been at this game for 15 years now off and on and am still wanting to learn more ways of picking winners. Or I should say a more consistent way of picking winners is what I seek.

tonicfan,

I ran into this thread last night. I copied much of it myself.
Mitch44 and Lt1 among others covered this well.

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11069

Hope this helps. It did for me.
Mike

http://sartinmethodology.com/pubs/RD...d_Glossary.pdf
MJS6916 is offline   Reply With Quote