Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
shoeless
Grade 1

Whatever happened to

Whatever happened to the old Pace and Cap?With all this suspending people[actually just Tim and I] and closing down threads I feel like Im under a Stalinist regime.Maybe the moderators should lighten up a little bit.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless View Post
Whatever happened to the old Pace and Cap?With all this suspending people[actually just Tim and I] and closing down threads I feel like Im under a Stalinist regime.Maybe the moderators should lighten up a little bit.
Hey I would be the FIRST to agree with you but then I suspect this will be my last post here for awhile. Can't challenge dogma without paying the price of the Fox news: "cut his mike!" EVEN IF YOUR POINT OF VIEW is demonstrable and independently substantiated.

The ire of a small cabal comes out with each challenge. The same few posters who NEVER come forward with anything of interest but rather just to make negative comments. A universal happening.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
shoeless
Grade 1

I didnt think anything in that thread warrented it to be shut down,nobody was really being out of line just a few one liners here and there no harm done.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Bill V.
The egg man

Did I miss something?

Quote:
I didnt think anything in that thread warrented it to be shut down,nobody was really being out of line just a few one liners here and there no harm done.
Was a thread deleted ?

Can somebody tell me what Tim and Jeff are referring to
Old 03-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Thread closed by Richie i think Bill

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5400
Old 03-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
shoeless
Grade 1

Bill,Baloney thread but really no reason to close it nobody was really getting angry at one another.Jeff
Old 03-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Tim, it suits you to believe that your posts are being censored or deleted because you dare to hold different views than the moderators, e.g. that using trainer or jockey or breeding or workout information adds no extra useful clarity on net balance to the handicapping process, and that this assertion is backed up by valid statistics.

This is not correct, no matter how repetitively you proclaim it so. In fact these views are the same views expressed many times by Doc Sartin and by Jim Bradshaw, by Pizzolla and Schmidt and likely many, many other respected writers over decades worth of Follow Ups and other Methodology writings. I hold the same views, more or less, myself (as, I believe do Bill V and Richie - the other moderators) and I advise those whom I teach to not focus on that - rather, focus on the horse, the matchup, incremental energy disbursement - use the software.

No one gets censored because they disagree with the moderators, or with anyone else. Your posts get deleted, edited and suspensions issued ONLY because of your communication style which has a tendancy to be pedantic, repetitious, over-bearing, intimidating and sometimes insulting to others - did I mention repetitious? Continuing like that is an excellent way to get banned for good.

In many ways I would regret that as I do get many interesting things from some of your posts and you are clearly a strong user of Sartin software who has valuable things to teach, and we need good teachers. But you scare as many people as you help, sort of like the diminishing returns from adding in extra variables like breeding or trainer angles to handicapping. I know this because some of the ones you scare write to me explaining why they don't want to post in public, which in turns serves to prevent (some of) them from learning and enjoying this game, contrary to the reasons for existence of this Forum (and the Code of Conduct).

So don't moan and complain that you are among the few (or the only one) 'challenging dogma' or conventional thinking or substantiating your views with solid science: it has all been said before and is mainstream in the Sartin Methodology. And, Tim, even if you are the 'smartest guy in the room', it is unseemly to be constantly proclaiming it so (per the underlying 'tone of voice' in many of your posts). Human nature (I think) tends to gravitate more towards those who teach and relate to others with grace, patience and humility, and shrinks from bombast.

Jeff - as for Stalinist - in Stalin's time you got a knock at the door then either a bullet or a show-trial then a one-way ticket to Siberia - no 2nd or 3rd or 4th warnings and no debate. Lose the hyperbole. We're trying to grow a garden here, not referee a brawl.

And just to be clear - to those folks here who profit from and have done their own work which proves to themselves the usefulness of ANY particular handicapping factor, from breeding, to trainer intent or angles, to jockey stats, to workout or toteboard patterns - any factor which is not generally a part of the core Sartin concepts of pace, matchup, incremental energy disbursement, form: use these other factors at your pleasure and profit, post about them if you wish (in the Handicapping Forum). Civil (and preferably concise) discussion is always welcomed.

I am speaking for myself here.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 03-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
socantra
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post

I am speaking for myself here.

Ted
Not only yourself.

dick
Old 03-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
shoeless
Grade 1

Ted,You need to lighten up a bit this forum here at least in my mind is not a matter of life and death.Actually unless someone is using vulgar language I believe it's childish for people to sit there and modify posts.Makes me think of Orwell's book 1984 BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU.I listen to the seminar tapes and it seems their was always quite a bit of ribbing going on amongst everyone.I never attended them personally but it doesnt seem to me Doc was standing up there with a hood over head.

This also reminds me of the great TV show The Prisoner.

By the way you say a lot of people come to you because of Tim well a lot of people have left here as well because of the way things are moderated here.Just my opinion.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
a lot of people have left here as well because of the way things are moderated here.
Who? A Private Message will do fine.

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 03-21-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Closed Thread