Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 09-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
Matt D.
AlwNW1X

What is the HIDE

I was looking through the old Follow Ups online. What I was wondering is what Dr. Sartin is talking about with reference to the HIDES.

I have read about four or five of the Follow Ups but the context of what a HIDE is not properly explained. Does anyone know what the HIDE is?

Matt D.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
dlivery
Grade 1

Thumbs up Hiding a selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
I was looking through the old Follow Ups online. What I was wondering is what Dr. Sartin is talking about with reference to the HIDES.

I have read about four or five of the Follow Ups but the context of what a HIDE is not properly explained. Does anyone know what the HIDE is?

Matt D.
Do a google site search and you will have some interesting examples
When to hide a horse
Old 10-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
Lt1
Grade 1

When you use the hide option remember it is for win betting only. If you play exotics remember to unhide the horse.
Lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Matt,

In older Sartin DOS programs, after you identified contenders in your readout set, you could designate one or more to be removed 'temporarily' (or 'Hidden') from the readouts so the factors would be re-ranked and you would see the merits of horses which were otherwise lower rated IF you suppose that the horse(s) you 'Hide' will not win. Hiding was distinct from removing them altoghether, in that you could the Un-hide them and reinstate the horse and chosen paceline without having to re-select a line all over again.

This was always intended to give less confident users 'permission' to see as valid Win contenders, horses who were otherwise lower rated on various readouts but especially the Bottom Line/Betting Line Line Score (the main Odds Line). A well regarded favourite (Morning Line, and at bet-time) which is also ranked on top of the BL/BL readouts will still lose 60-65% of the time. If it takes so much money that other more obscure horses which are ranked lower on your line than you would otherwise consider for Win are left at very good odds - and all you need is 'permission' to yourself to bet them while betting against that Favourite - then Hiding the Favourite for Win was an available psychological device.

In RDSS, we 'Hide' horses in 'plain sight' - we use the Contender Grouping tools to move a horse from the Primary Contender category to Secondary or Non-contender status. This way, you get the same re-ranking of the remaining Primary horses (i.e. minus those Hidden or now grouped as Secondary) as in the older software - BUT you still see their former Primary rank to remind you that there are good horses which you are consciously excluding from your Win bets AND should still be considering for vertical wagers or as saver bets for win (Win dutching/hedging) or as B or C contenders in structuring horizontal exotics. Also - having those 'Hidden' horses in the Secondary category permits the tote info for them to be displayed on all the Analysis screens (i.e. Odds, Odds Rank, Tote Xray, pool percentages).

If you are able to not worry about the presence of a good contender which will pay little in your Primary readouts and can still see the merits of lower ranked horses - then don't worry about 'Hiding'. That said, it is ALWAYS a good idea (IMO) to eliminate horses in your Primary group down to 5, so that a consistent comparison of ranks or ranges in any decision models you keep is possible. Put the eliminated horses in the Secondary or Non-contender groups. Or remove them altogether if you are of the pithier persuasion

Hope that helps, re the 'Hiding' concept.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote