Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 07-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #11
jma1143
AlwNW3X

AAug 27 DMR

I will try to attend, if I decide not to work. I am employed at the track
as a mutual clerk(work the windows).

john
jma1143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:48 AM   #12
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
OK, now you guys are starting to make me jealous I'm heading to Del Mar this year

Ted
Del Mar is nice but can be HOT. Much easier to get there nowadays. We used to drive in from Orange County and it would take quite awhile to get there since the freeway was not finished as it went right through the big Marine Corps base at Camp Pendleton.

I can recall seeing the great Cougar II's very first North American start there as he was brought up from South America by Joe Hernandez the long time announcer at Santa Anita. He NEVER paid as much as he did for that day's win as no one knew about him yet.

I learned a trick way back then: IF Shoe stayed for his mount in the final race of the day: BET IT.

You get serenaded (TWICE) by Bing singing "Where the turf meets the surf." Used to play his old 40's version before the first race, and an updated 70's version before the final contest on the card. Bing used to have a radio show there every weekend and he would greet hundreds at the gate while he was on the air. Del Mar was a cooperative effort of Bing, Jimmy Durante and Pat O'Brien.

For years Southern Pacific used to run a special train daily that they called "The Gamblers Special" out of LA. Always wanted to take that but never did and now it is gone.

Seabiscuit ran one of his lesser known match races there in 1938 against Ligaroti. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcnawQ7DFaE

Riders in that match got into such a battle late, that both were suspended months in a non-betting race.

Turf course in much like a golf putting green (very short grass) that allows many a wire job.

Last edited by Ted Craven; 07-21-2016 at 01:54 PM. Reason: moved this to the DEL MAR MEETUP discussion
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #13
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma1143 View Post
I will try to attend, if I decide not to work. I am employed at the track
as a mutual clerk(work the windows).

john
Looking forward to meeting you John! If you are working, let us know which window - we'll place out bets there

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:25 AM   #14
DanBoals
Grade 1

I am not going to be able to make it to Del Mar this year. Was wanting to meet everyone, but guess I have to wait. Best of luck to those that go.

Dan
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:41 PM   #15
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Dan, very sorry to hear you won't be able to make it, was looking forward to meeting you. Next time!

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 08-24-2016, 12:07 AM   #16
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Looking forward to the PaceandCap Meeting this coming Saturday August 27! I'll plan to be there by at least 11am so I can grab some tables in the area we usually meet - same place as previous years, for those who've been before.

To get there, enter the track, stay on the ground floor and cross over to the Club house side - across the horse path near the saddling enclosure (cost $4). Go to the far end of the building, ground floor, club house side. You will see a group of long tables and round tables at the very end, hopefully with some smiling faces and computers. There are self-serve betting terminals nearby, some (high-priced) food kiosks and direct access to rail-side just past the finish line. If you bring a computer, there are some power outlets, though an extension cord and splitter plug may help. I am not sure about wireless internet at Del Mar. Bring your own if you can. I have a wireless hotspot on my phone.

Here are a few photos of what to look for.

Name:  P&C.DMR.Area1.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  P&C.DMR.Area2.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  P&C.DMR.saddling.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  119.3 KB

Hoping to have lunch with Bill V on Friday in Cardiff-by-the-Sea - it's been a while Bill! And looking forward to a great day at the races!

If anyone needs my mobile phone number for contact - just send me a PM or email.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 08-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #17
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Ted, I think you can also access the meet up area by entering the Clubhouse entrance. The cost is the same, but you pay the $ as part of the entrance fee and then save several hundred yards of walking, for those that are not great walking fans.

Of course you miss some of the wonderful ladies in their outfits by cutting short your walk, but then there are so many.....
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #18
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Of course! Whatever way you enter the Clubhouse side, go there, head to the far end, track side, look for the tables. Don't ignore the beautiful humans and horses on the way

We'll miss you there this year.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 08-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #19
So Cal Al
So Cal Al

Send a message via AIM to So Cal Al
Ted,
Sorry I missed you guys yesterday at DMR. Al B.
So Cal Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #20
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Oh dear - was it yesterday you were there? Sorry I spaced that out. I didn't get to the track yesterday after all. I hope you had an enjoyable and profitable day.

Take care,

Ted

R
DSS -