Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion > Synergism
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Synergism A Forum for Synergism Users to discuss, exchange tips, post race workups.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #141
CEW
Grade 1

Hi Guys....

Here's a note from myself to Shoeless I sent this morning on email. Some general stuff about the Methodology. So I thought I'd post it after reading the above note from Bill H.

We've all invested a lot of time in learning, mostly through individual study, so its great to discuss and kick around our observations. Here are some:

Jeff....

What's happening? What happened to your shoes anyway?

My approach is pretty much pure Sartin Methodology - contenders/pacelines/readouts/play the board - bet 2 horses. And I keep a model (Brohammer) even if I'm just playing a track for the weekend.

In a nutshell:

Contenders: top 2 ML horses plus the best 3 of the remainders. I make up a contender number which I developed after I missed so many winners one weekend at Saratoga. Sounds crazy, but its the sum of the Beyer SR, DRF SR, and the DRF variant. I add the 3 together for the last 2 races for each horse and take the higher of the 2. So its mainly current form. If there is a horse who won the last time out who isn't in that top 5, I will consider him. That's mainly where I get burned on this procedure.

Then its pacelines. See my last email for a few items. I seem to grant one excuse to a horse, but draw a line there. Unless, say, he had 2 off tracks in a row and had fine form prior to that. Every player has to come to his own terms on pacelines. When Connolly diagnosed my problem(s), he had me describe my routine to him, and in about 3 minutes he said contenders were the problem. And they were. Stay with one program for an extended period because different programs require different types of pacelines. Some may argue that. But I used to jump programs all the time and about 5 years ago I committed myself to my download program with Phase 3 and the meridian. It was expensive to produce and I've stayed with it - working out the bugs and making it work for me.

Readouts/tote board....In Phase 3, it takes a lot of early or sustained bias to outweigh FW. If the pacelines are right, FW will be there. Stay with the same track until you know the ins and outs of early/late. When I'm in doubt, I'll actually add up the line scores like Howard shows way back in the Yellow Manual, where he assigns points for a #1 ranking, #2, etc. Its pretty slick. Sometimes there will be a horse with a 1 -1-5 (FW/EP/SP) and I will discount him in my mind. He'll go on to win and he really did have the best total line score. FW is one third 3rd fraction, so a horse that is top in Early and W does have some 3rd fraction strength.

On the bets, 2 horses (or more) is so powerful. I bet one horse maybe once a year. If in doubt, read Huey's long arcticle in Follow Up #2. That article should be required reading on Pace and Cap. I believe it was the most important article ever written in all of the Follow Ups. I've read comments on Pace and Cap that are mathematically inaccurate about one horse betting vs. two, and this article explains it all. That guy was the perfect compliment to PIRCO. It ashamed he's not around.

You also have the 20 race cycle, which is a painful record to keep sometimes. It will point out the handicapper's deficiencies quickly. Sometimes I can't stand to look at it. I keep all my betting records in my Form also, the same way every time. Starting bank, bets, gross, net, net to date - all after each race. After the last race, my net is written in there. I keep all my Forms, so when some smart ass asks how I do at the track, I say come on over and look through my forms - its all in there. Good and bad! I don't ask him his stock market portfolio results, because I know he doesn't know! And he doesn't know his racing net to date either because he has no records - they are in the trash can at racetrack exit.

Lastly, the model. I play tracks in chunks. So I go the Derby for 3 or 4 days for instance. Same for Saratoga, Tampa, etc. I'll layout a blank sheet of paper with all the distances and write the line scores of the winners - Brohammer model by the book. But I keep it all on one sheet to stay concise. And I'll keep it going for the week as I play. It doesn't take long to develop patterns. I keep FW / EP/ SP as my main readouts, then 1st Fraction, 2nd Fraction, Hidden, and 3rd fraction, followed by median % energy. That's it. At Churchill, you would not believe how many winners come from the lowest 2 % median horses. Very sustained. Sometimes after while at CD, I'll key in on those 2 forget everything else on the win end.

Let me know your procedure as well - I'm curious. Everyone has their style!

Regards,

Chuck
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #142
Houndog
Grade 1

Great Posts Chuck

Chuck I really appreciate your posts on this subject. I am old enough to remember going to Doc Sartin's seminars when they were moving from the velocity programs such as PHASEIII/Synergism to the Energy programs.

I do remember a group at the seminar which were still using the PHASEIII program and they did fine. As far as I know you might have been a member of that group.

Chuck you prove to all of us that with proper procedures any of Doc Sartin's programs work fine. Thanks for your input.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #143
CEW
Grade 1

Houndog...thanks. What year and which seminar ? That's asking a lot, huh ?? Too long ago! I was at the Saratoga seminar in August 87. And went to several that Pizzolla and Bert Mayne held in the winter time not long after that. And the only other big one was in Baltimore in the 90s that Glen Connolly put together.

Mark Cramer and Tom Ainslie (sp??) were both at that one. I talked to both of them at length that weekend. Ainslie was most interesting in what he said about the Methodology. He said (roughly) that Thoromation is so powerful that all he does is put in the contenders and pacelines, go out to Yonkers, and play them. He said there was no need to go through all that analysis anymore!

Must get to work - write back!

Chuck
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #144
MIKE
Grade 1

The Old Desmond Americana !!!!!
MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #145
shoeless
Grade 1

I would like to thank everyone who participated in this thread and for
the people that took the time to view it. I never expected over 5,000
views on a old program such as this.

By the posts here it just shows that with the proper paceline selection
and knowledge of the readouts that these old programs will still do the
job. It is nice to know about class moves and the such but the above
two skills plus knowing when to pass or play a race and good money
management are the mainstays to winning.

Hope everyone has a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season.
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #146
Bill V.
The egg man

Syn2

Same to you Jeff

Happy Holidays and many syn2 wins in the new year

Jeff here is a race I just posted about in another area

The 3 wins the race The 10 and 8 are bothe early energy
so how does the 3 look in the dream race ?

Bill

Name:  Dream race.PNG
Views: 545
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  DRBL.PNG
Views: 566
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  3wins.PNG
Views: 493
Size:  44.3 KB
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #147