Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Saratoga Meetups > 2008
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

2008 August 17th Please come join us A fun day A chance to meet win and learn

Old 08-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #71
Tim Y
turf historian

Glad all had a good time, but a few suggestions from a old photographer that might make future photo captures a bit better balanced.

ALL modern day cameras, film or digitally based, use through the lens metering and try to make the image 18% neutral gray. The camera does not know WHAT about a shot is of interest, it just averages the amount of light coming in top 18% neutral gray. IF there is a lot of reflected light,usually from a strong back lit situation, as when people are standing in front of a window, or, in your cases here, in the dark under an awning, the camera AVERAGES the exposure to the total amount of light coming in, so it will UNDER-EXPOSE the images in the shade, OR, in the case of the very white shirt, it will overexpose. Most professionals "bracket" exposures of shots (like at a wedding) by taking progressive shots increasing half an F stop over exposed in two steps (like F4, then two hales over to F5.6)and two progressive halves under, in order to compensate back-lighting or reflected light. The photo of mine HERE, the avatar, required metering ON the horse or otherwise the back lighting of the sky behind the rider would have UNDER-exposed the horse in the foreground

Many of the newer cameras allow the user to spot meter in the area of a composed shot so that the meter only averages the light within that narrow parameter and NOT the entire field of view. I use this often at the gate since the horses are coming in from very bright light into the shadows of the gate which would be UNDER-exposed when they enter that shadow. Some other cameras use lower centered weighted metering, some allow pre-metering shots.

Just remember back lighting, white objects (or very bright objects in a dark field like a spot light in a darkened room) need to be balance before you hit the shutter for better light balance.

Last edited by Tim Y; 08-18-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #72
Rverge
Grade 1

Glad all of you had a great time! all looks well and Ted the pics look great!
thanks
Rverge aka MLCookie
Old 08-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #73
Bill V.
The egg man

You are the person on the way home from the track

Those words are from a friend of mine and Richies
from back in our Meadowlands days

Why do I use the Sartin Methodology? why would I want people
who I am betting against to know what I do?
Why would I care about the guys who are not doing well?
Who cares? I do Our day at the races from Saratoga
made me feel like a big winner my bets made me a big winner
Things that friends and family wished for me made me act like a winner

What is the Sartin Methodology ??
Its the thing that gave me a happy healthy life

This is a gift from me
Its a little loud and not the usual thing you hear from me
But I thank two nice young lady friends of mine for
making me feel a lot better about myself and they love this stuff

Anyway My wish is that you all feel this way next time you
wager - That this is you on the way home - Nobody But Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4L_RorlztM

Last edited by Bill V.; 08-18-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #74
nomorebocci
Grade 1

Wow!

Bill, I just finished reading the entire thread of Pace and Cap Day at Saratoga, and I am so unbelievably proud of you, son. All that work and creativity that you did, all for your friends, it just filled me with tremendous admiration. (Admiration for Admin)
I loved all the pictures. You look so happy. Just what a mother wants to see.
Great job. I danced around to Nobody But Me. Very cute.
Love, Love, Love. Mom
Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #75
Vinnie
Grade 1

Pace and Cap Day at the SPA

Bill,

I hope that you are doing well?! Fantastic to hear that everyone had such a great time at Saratoga this past weekend. You can tell by the photos that a wonderful time was had by all who were able to be in attendance. It was very generous and awesome of you to put on this event Bill. I just wanted to say that I loved the Pace and Cap T-shirts with the Stetson on the sleeve too. Were those of your design by the way?

Nice touch!

Have a Great Week everyone.

Vinnie
Old 08-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #76
Red Knave
Maiden

I was glad to be a part of the last day with the group at Saratoga. It's a magical place. And hearing Doc's voice after so many years (I think the last time for me was 1992) was a very special treat.
I would like to extend a special thanks to Bill V. for the 'lovely parting gift' and to Ted Craven for agreeing to help me with a personal favour even though we had just met. And a shout out to Jimbo for rubbing it in when I left out the favorite Stepaside in the 8th and letting me do the same when he left out Friskie Rosie in the final.
To RichieP, sorry you couldn't be there. I look forward to meeting you sometime in the future.

All together a great time.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #77
Bill V.
The egg man

Bill V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Bill,

I hope that you are doing well?! Fantastic to hear that everyone had such a great time at Saratoga this past weekend. You can tell by the photos that a wonderful time was had by all who were able to be in attendance. It was very generous and awesome of you to put on this event Bill. I just wanted to say that I loved the Pace and Cap T-shirts with the Stetson on the sleeve too. Were those of your design by the way?

Nice touch!

Have a Great Week everyone.

Vinnie

Yes Vinnie
I want people who see the t shirt to ask Why a Cowboy hat?
Its for our friend Jim Bradshaw and we can tell them about the "Hat"

Bill
Old 08-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #78
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

That hat on the sleeve was cool.

Maybe another idea would be a picture of that bolo tie around the neck line, like someone was wearin it.

Might be a predecessor of a future "official" Pace and Cap forum members tee-shirt.

Who knows.

But maybe one might "not" want to wear it at the track.....especially if one is a consistant winner.......might be a "bullseye"......"hey, watch anybody with that "hat" on their sleeve....might be one of those "Sartinese's" or "Hat" disciples......we did'nt ban THE HAT from the track cause he was only a "2 dollar" bettor".

Might also have people followin you just to hear what you bet to get a winner, too.

I betcha when Doc and seminar attendees, and Hat kept coming to the window to cash out, they were gettin more recognized by the clerks....betcha some clerks, who were smart, had a field day betting on what these people bet.

VoodooFan
Old 08-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #79
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Sure would've been nice if just ONE of those old seminars was on film, somewhere, to see the teachin crew and guest.

Doc and THE HAT gave a presentation at one of those DRF's official "Handicapping Expo" , but I don't know if their part or any of the Expo made it on film.

VoodooFan
Old 08-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #80
gandalf380
Grade 1

Wrapup

I hope everyone got home safely. It was a fun weekend and I hope that we do it again in the future. I am in still in awe about the Alabama. What a race to see live on our big weekend. What a pleasure to put faces with names and handles. Hope to see all of you again soon.

Charlie B.