Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 04-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Tampa R6 4/24

This is an example of another exceptional front runner similiar to PEN R6 the
other night. A 6F race where the horse was at the lead at the 2nd call 9/10
times and was only a head back the other time.(see below) The win rate was iffy
and the post time odds were only 2/1...nevertheless I keyed the horse in a super with my other contenders.
These solid front runners are always a good spot play.

Ernie
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentRun View Post
This is an example of another exceptional front runner similiar to PEN R6 the
other night. A 6F race where the horse was at the lead at the 2nd call 9/10
times and was only a head back the other time.(see below) The win rate was iffy
and the post time odds were only 2/1...nevertheless I keyed the horse in a super with my other contenders.
These solid front runners are always a good spot play.

Ernie
First I’d like to thank SilentRun for posting this. He correctly says that it is another example of an exceptional front runner that was similar to the PEN-race 6 that was put up by Richie. And while he also states that the horse was 1st at the second call 9 of 10 times, it was actually 7 out of 8, with the other race being 2nd by a head. He also didn’t mention that this horse was 1st at the first call 6 of 8 times with the other two being 2nd by a head. Also, as far as I am concerned, there was a very important piece of information that was missing. What was the race “type” and “conditions/restrictions”? So I decided to take a closer look.

The first thing I looked at was the chart of the race. It was interesting to note that for the first time, this horse was neither 1st OR 2nd at the first call, an unusual position for this horse. Given that this horse has NEVER, EVER made up so much as an inch of ground from the stretch call to the finish, how would the horse respond to being 3rd by 2 lengths at the first call? As it turns out, very nicely, as the horse went on to have the lead at the second call and drew off from there and winning by more than 8 lengths. Can we attribute anything to this? I think the answer is "yes”.

In this horses first start it was entered in a “maiden special weight” (MS) race. In the next start it was dropped down into a maiden claiming race for $40k. The following start found the horse entered into another maiden claiming race, but this time for $15k and it won. An old “rule of thumb” says that a horse that breaks its’ maiden in a maiden claiming race, is worth approximately “one half” of the value of that race. In this case, the horse broke its’ maiden for $15k, so it should be entered in a claiming race for winners at approximately $7,500. It seems this horses connections were following that guideline. In the next 5 races this horse was entered for $8k 4 times and $16k once, with the $16k race being clearly too high for this horse at this point in its’ career. Ok, so what?

In “today’s” race the horse is taking yet another significant drop in class. Now before anyone responds with a critical analysis of my mental capacity, I am quite aware that this race was also an $8k race, so you might be wondering where the significant drop in class comes from. If you will take notice, every race this horse has been in since it broke its’ maiden has been a race with “NO CONDITIONS/RESTRICTIONS”, in other words “OPEN” races. An “open” race is exactly what it says. ANY horse can enter as long as the owner is willing to lose the horse through the claim box for the amount it is entered for. Let me make it clear. ZENYETTA could be entered in this type of race, but the owner would risk losing the horse to anyone that is willing to pay $8,000 for her. (any takers?) Now obviously THAT is not going to happen, but the point is, “open” claiming races are generally made up of seasoned horses that are multiple winners. They could have 5,10,15, 20 or more wins each.

In today’s race for this horse, this $8k claiming race comes with a “condition/restriction” of NW2L (non-winners of two races lifetime). Every horse in THIS race has only beat a field of maidens. Two of the horses in this race were 1 for 33 and another was 1 for 17, hardly the caliber of an “open” race. This is a significant drop in class from the races and horses this horse has been facing since it broke its’ maiden. Obviously, this horse enjoyed this drop in class so much that it was able to show a different running style. For the first time, this horse was able to sit 3rd, two lengths behind at the first call, and then do something it has never done before, gain ground from that point all the way to the finish line. Perhaps after a second look, this horse was a much better play than SilentRun first thought.

And for all you "wagercappers" out there, dismissing horses like this, without any thought whatsoever just because it is the favorite, could have a serious impact on your bottom line.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Thank you for your excellent analytical post. I admit I did not cover the class
issues that you so eloquently described in your post. You tuned me into areas
that I usually do not address.

I was keenly aware that the horse failed to make a significant move , from the
2nd call or stretch, in his past races at the 8k level. I would forgive the 2nd race back
since the comments stated that the horse "stopped".

However the RDSS data gave me the confidence that the horse would
dominate this field irrespective of what happend in past races.
The horse was first in Total Energy, had the best Total
Speed, was first to the second call and first in E/EP which essentially
confirms the second call. I felt not one horse in the field could match his
speed.pace and energy. So I went with the horse on that basis.

Ernie
Old 04-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
RichieP
Grade 1

Thumbs up

Excellent work Ernie!!

You are becoming the master of the early price horse man!

Very good analysis and thanks for laying it out for us!

There will be more too!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post
Excellent work Ernie!!

You are becoming the master of the early price horse man!

Very good analysis and thanks for laying it out for us!

There will be more too!
Thanks for your comments...looking forward to the challenges.

Ernie
Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
mikesal57
Grade 1

"do something it has never done before"

Lets look at the chart....

this horse usually runs a 22.4 qtr for his better races

in this race he did just that...2 horse went out to a 22.3 qtr and he did his usual 22.4 being 1 lts behind....so the other 2 duel ran them selves out of the race and he inherit the lead...i doubt he do anything like this again in the future.
So was it a drop in class made him win?

Horses cant read the PP's!!
mike

Name:  Untitled.gif
Views: 1161
Size:  109.2 KB

Last edited by Ted Craven; 04-26-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: shrunk that image...
Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
"do something it has never done before"

Lets look at the chart....

this horse usually runs a 22.4 qtr for his better races

in this race he did just that...2 horse went out to a 22.3 qtr and he did his usual 22.4 being 1 lts behind....so the other 2 duel ran them selves out of the race and he inherit the lead...i doubt he do anything like this again in the future.
So was it a drop in class made him win?

Horses cant read the PP's!!
mike

Attachment 19557
I agree that horses can’t read PP’s, neither do they have a dashboard with an odometer that tells them how fast they are running.

Be they horses in “the wild” or on a racetrack, horses inherently have a “herd” mentality that is just a part of the breed. They are most comfortable at either the front of the herd, the middle of the herd or at the back of the herd and they inherently seek out the position where they are most comfortable. This is the reason that a front runner will “bust a gut”, so to speak, in an effort to make the lead regardless of the time it takes for them to get there. Obviously, some horses are just faster than others and those who can’t keep up fall by the way side.

Since horses can’t read PP’s or “see how fast they are running using an odometer”, the only way they know where they fit in a race is based on the horses they are running against. It is no different than any human athlete, that when confronted with a competitor of superior skill, very quickly become aware of its’ opponents superiority.

In the race in question here, this horse quickly realized that the competition it was facing was clearly not as good as what it had been facing in its’ previous five races. Therefore, this horse assumed a position it had never been in before, 3rd two lengths behind at the first call, and from there, did something it had never done before, make up ground at each call from the first call to the finish.

So was it class that made it win? ABSOLUTELY AND WITHOUT QUESTION!

If racing were just a matter of "time", then cheap horses that occasionally run a fast time would be running against, and beating, GRADE I horses, and that just isn't going to happen.