Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
gandalf380
Grade 1

At The Races software

Has anyone had any experience with software called "At The Races Pro" ? It displays toteboard info from various tracks with a lot of flexibility. It supposedly also provides a download version for inclusion in other software.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Why yes I have, for many years

Among MANY other analyses, it does download raw pool data to CSV or tab-separated text files (mainly from TwinSpires) - WPS, Exacta, Quinella, Double pools.

You can try it for 30 days for free, then $99/year. Good documentation.

It's what I always wanted RDSS' Tote module to be, and less (but more). Someday ...

http://htr2.com/atr/at_the_races.htm

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
tazzerbobo
AlwNW3X

I also use it. Finding that some tracks delay somehow in releasing the data. For example WRD the other day was watching the Show payouts on a few races. When the race was going off, certain payouts on the favorites was in the neighborhood of $3 to $3.10. During the race the figures dropped to $2.30. Found that very interesting. Then looking at GS all seemed normal up to and during the race.

As said, it is a tool. Use with discretion.
tazzerbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
mick
Abiding Student

I have not used it but some of the better players I know recommend it. (Dave Schwartz and Ken Massa both coded their programs to incorporate ATRPro.) My reluctance to try it is due to a concern of adding to the information overload. I fear that if I add any more to the maelstrom, my brain will just lock up.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
mick
Abiding Student

Regardless, it might be interesting/helpful to watch the syndicate money pouring into the win pools. Recently I bet a horse that loaded at 9-2 and crossed the finish line at 9-5. If ATRPro provided tote information faster than what appears on my ADW's website or on its live video feed, thus keeping me out of those bets, I really would be interested.

Illustrated Glossary

Last edited by mick; 05-21-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
gandalf380
Grade 1

Hi Mick:

I first saw it mentioned on Dave Schwartz's Facebook page. I tend to watch the exacta payouts also and sometimes those give hints to what may happen to the win odds as win money normally trails exacta money.

Charlie
Old 05-21-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
mick
Abiding Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf380 View Post
I tend to watch the exacta payouts also and sometimes those give hints to what may happen to the win odds as win money normally trails exacta money.
That's a good insight, Charlie. Thank you for sharing. I promise not to bet so much it will ruin your action. :-)

Illustrated Glossary
Old 05-21-2020, 05:23 PM   #8
gandalf380
Grade 1

I was at the Red Mile once and there was so little money bet that I could watch my bet post to the toteboard
Old 05-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #9
mick
Abiding Student

Charlie,

One of my favorite racing stories is about the Red Mile. I was living in Kentucky at the time and my brother Ricky came for a visit. He had never seen a race horse in the flesh and his head was on a swivel, trying to take it all in.

For the first race, I took him to a betting window and told him my pick, so he bet $2 on my horse. I also bet the daily double with one horse in the first leg and two in the second. None were favorites.

My horse won that first race by a head and my brother's $2 turned into $20. I remember the grin on his face when the cashier swapped his winning ticket for a crisp Andy Jackson. While we were standing there, I gave him my two horses in the second race and he bet those.

We grabbed a beer and a sandwich and watched one my horses win the second leg. This time Ricky got back more than $20 and he was grinning again. Then he watched in astonishment as the cashier counted out a stack of $20s for my winning daily double ticket.

At first he was angry. "Why didn't you tell me to bet like that?" I told him it was a low-percentage play and I got lucky. Then he said, "Why are you working? You could be doing this all the time!"

Yeah, right.

It was a long time ago and he hasn't watched another race live since then. But he still talks about it. What a great experience to share with my brother.

Illustrated Glossary
Old 05-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #10
Fairchild
AlwNW3X

I really enjoyed the story. As we get older our memories are what can make us happy, what a great memory.
Fairchild is offline   Reply With Quote