Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 03-03-2022, 12:55 AM   #11
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
Uh, those sources have topics other than sore horses. If you evaluate solely on what you perceive to be soreness, you've omitted all of the other topics for evaluation. Sore horses do win races, though they should often be considered a pass. Just as with other handicapping methods, it is very tough to try to pick a winner in every race... some (many) have to be passed.
I recall a famous and salient statement by the charcater of Hanniball Lecter in the movie Silence of the Lams where he is talking to Jody Foster, the rookie FBI trainee. In tlaking about things in general and particualry in methods of undertanding, he poins out correctly "What is its essence?" and makes a comment about Thomas Aquinas: "What is it's ESSENCE? what is the fundmaental basis of that?" (without the noise, the baggage in a decision that makes it more confusing that crystal clear, the exta malarkey that CLOUDS that essence)..

Horse racing, for example, as Dr. Sartin (an Huey Mahl)pointed out so often in their writing: Class is Pace, Pace is Class....THA IS IT!

What horses, in FORM, are capable of doing when mixed competitiors are brought into compeition with one another. How do their inherent pace abilities govern the outcome of this race? That is IT, the rest (man made class shifts, the HUMAN connections, the farrier etc) is simply NOISE in the machine and moves away form that ESSENCE: the abilitiess of the horses..Weather is another true factor to consider as it directly affects some horses abilities.
Old 03-03-2022, 01:01 AM   #12
ranchwest
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
I recall a famous and salient statement by the charcater of Hanniball Lecter in the movie Silence of the Lams where he is talking to Jody Foster, the rookie FBI trainee. In tlaking about things in general and particualry in methods of undertanding, he poins out correctly "What is its essence?" and makes a comment about Thomas Aquinas: "What is it's ESSENCE? what is the fundmaental basis of that?" (without the noise, the baggage in a decision that makes it more confusing that crystal clear, the exta malarkey that CLOUDS that essence)..

Horse racing, for example, as Dr. Sartin (an Huey Mahl)pointed out so often in their writing: Class is Pace, Pace is Class....THA IS IT!

What horses, in FORM, are capable of doing when mixed competitiors are brought into compeition with one another. How do their inherent pace abilities govern the outcome of this race? That is IT, the rest (man made class shifts, the HUMAN connections, the farrier etc) is simply NOISE in the machine and moves away form that ESSENCE: the abilitiess of the horses..Weather is another true factor to consider as it directly affects some horses abilities.
I am sure physicality handicappers everywhere appreciate you keeping their secrets. Thanks.
ranchwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #13
Tim Y
turf historian

At a simulcast or on line wagering site, THAT would be impossible to do
Old 03-03-2022, 12:34 PM   #14
cratman
cratman

Impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
At a simulcast or on line wagering site, THAT would be impossible to do
A trap that I fell into as a younger man was that if I could not do it it was impossible.
cratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 01:24 PM   #15
ranchwest
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratman View Post
A trap that I fell into as a younger man was that if I could not do it it was impossible.
Well stated.
ranchwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:28 AM   #16
omar
Grade 1

Talking

Like Lt1 said horses that look washed out in the paddock may be good bets. Seattle Slew comes to mind. This horse was always dripping wet AND HE WON THE TRIPLE CROWN THAT WAY!
omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:15 PM   #17
Tim Y
turf historian

First time I went to a simulcast venue (when I was suffering under the delusion that MY evaluation of horseflesh overwhelmed OBJECTIVE pace ratings and their interactions) I complained that any view of any particular horse was so short and at such a distance, any objective observation was, for all intents and purposes USELESS. Today the time televised to make these observations has even lessened.

When I became part of the camera crew, I realized it is even more difficult to get objective evidence as the ONLY real view that was any good was via the paddock camera. Since the PADDOCK view had potential, and that was my assignment for several years at Hastings, I realized yet again, it was both TOO SHORT a time and often we just showed the animals from their torso up.

BUT far and away the GREATEST negation of physicality as it related to pefomance were my own records. Hardly a correlation of 25% between look and performance. Even the two trainers I asked to do thier own evaluations, were hardly much better.

One old gelding Ionian Sea ran at Hastings, and he had a knee almot 50% bigger than the other. I talked to the vet at the gate, and he knew of this animal. "It is"burnt out" arthritis " he told me (joint adpatation to wear and tear but no long physiologically active). "Since he has won on that very knee with no problems, unless he injures it again, I wouldn't pay it much mind."

The best decisions as regards wagering on horses racing involes FEWER, not more diffusion by putting too much weight on factors that are very monor.