Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions) Racing Decision Support System - The NEW Version 2.2

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Documentation - RDSS 2.2 - NEW VERSION

RDSS2.2 Update Notes - Version 2.2.2020.22

An update to RDSS is now available for RDSS users in the usual software download location (http://www.rdss2.com/download-software) Current and past RDSS Subscribers have access to this link - you may have to login again.

This new version will install separately from the previous RDSS2.1 in its own new Folder (C:\Rdss22). You can run the new and the old versions at the same time, though after you install RDSS2.2, if you again want to use RDSS2.1 you will need to re-install it from the RDSS2.1 Install file you previously downloaded to your computer (RdssInstall.2.1.049.11.exe) otherwise you'll get errors (internet access routines are updated in the new software). There should be no reason to run the old version again.

This new software represents a major platform upgrade to a new version of my long-standing software tools with new internet access and better memory management tools, plus a new Installer. Not everything will appear in this initial update (see 'Further Additions' below), but I am now better prepared to deliver more frequent updates than recently. After this initial update, I have several further ones planned by the end of the year plus a general overhaul to Documentation. Hopefully also some videos, maybe some Zoom meetings (tutorials, AMAs).

Update Installation Notes:

1. When you install RDSS2.2 it looks for and will use any previous database you were using, otherwise you start using a new empty database.

2. You have to re-enter your TrackMaster User Id and Password and your Name on the Registration Screen then click the Update Registration Info button. (NOTE: at the moment, you have to do this TWICE to end up with your correct Renewal Date).

On the Configure Screen, you have to re-enter any custom settings you may be using other than the Defaults. For SUBSEQUENT updates, you won't have to re-enter all this, just Refresh the Registration Info button.

What's New/Fixed?

1. the "non-responsive" slow-down problems are resolved.

2. Profit Line and Prime Power from TwinSpires are once again available. On the CURRENT day, these are retrieved during race assembly or manually by clicking the Refresh TS Ratings & Scratches button on the Entries screen.

(NOTE: TS makes a slightly different set of Prime Power ratings available in their BRIS Past Performance reports. Though these are unavailable to RDSS, you certainly can access these and make use of them manually in your handicapping. The ranks are often quite similar though the numbers and gaps can differ. I have no definitive answer as to whether one set or the other is superior, though opinions may vary.)

3. The problem with both the above TS Ratings with Coupled Entries (e.g. #1 and #1A) is resolved.

4. Mutuel Results and Prices. These now appear on the Rx screen when you assemble a race which has gone Official, or when you request it manually by clicking the Mutuel Prices button on the Entries screen or the Rx screen. This info is available for several previous weeks. Eventually this info will appear also on the Entries screen and the Tote screen.

5. On the Configure screen, there is a new section labeled Tote/Scratches/TS Ratings. The 2 check-boxes govern whether RDSS checks for Tote Data and TS Ratings (ProfitLine, PrimePower), Mutuels Results and Prices and Scratches. By default they are set to OFF (DON'T retrieve stuff from TwinSpires). Check those boxes if you want this data and re-start RDSS if advised.

Besides customizing your RDSS info, these serve as sort of "dead-man" switches in case TwinSpires again changes things in the future. Unchecking these should permit RDSS to continue running without the same slow-downs encountered by recent TS changes (just without the relevant TS data).

6. On the Configure screen, there is also a new setting controlling the Maximum # of races to display in a horse's Past Performance screens. The default is the usual 10 lines, but you can set this as high as 99 to show any previous lines stored in your database for a horse (i.e. from past races you have downloaded to the same database). To see more than 10 lines, you will either have to change the PP Layouts to '1 PP +1 Analysis panels' (the "gear" icon right-side of each PP Panel) or use the vertical scroll-slider at the right edge.

7. There is a new entry in the Par Times table (Configure screen button) adding 7.5f on the Inner Turf (for Woodbine’s Inner Turf course). Without this entry, RDSS skipped over the display of 7.5f Inner Turf races in Woodbine PPs.

8. "Fatal Disk Errors / Library Error." To the best of my knowledge this problem is either fixed or reduced. It happens when RDSS runs out of memory after a long time running, often with the Tote enabled. (I would still appreciate knowing if/when this occurs, with details).

9. A new Software Update button exists on the RDSS Desktop. Use this to retrieve any future RDSS updates without having to go through the Paceandcap software download page via your browser. When an update is available, a message will appear prompting you to retrieve and install it. (NOTE: downloaded update Install files will be stored in your C:\RDSS22 folder in the Update.Downloads sub-folder).

10. The Rx+ and Rx screens have been consolidated into a single remaining screen labeled Rx. Everything that was on the old Rx+ screen is now on the remaining Rx screen.

Known Bugs and Problems (to be fixed soon)

1. The Tote system appears to sometimes not update consistently. (Double-check the TwinSpires web page where RDSS gets its data: https://www.twinspires.com/bet/program/todays-races). Also, tote data sometimes does not roll forward to the next race if you have already assembled that race. I am investigating that. If you don't want to be bothered by the Tote system, turn it OFF in the Configure Settings.

2. Missing Early Scratched horses in Southern California (SA and DMR) confuse RDSS. For these tracks, Early Scratches are omitted from the Past Performances: e.g. #1, #2 ... #4 - omitting the #3 horse.

3. Tied ProfitLine Odds should have the same Rank #. Currently, these are assigned a rank based on the Program Number.

4. The Update Registration Info button on the Registration Screen need to be hit TWICE in order to arrive at the correct Renewal Date. (NOT double-click, but rather actually perform the Update Registration operation TWO TIMES).

5. When using the Tote system, the MTP (Minutes to Post) count appears to be calibrated to Eastern Time (ET). Thus RDSS users in the ET zone will see correct MTP, while users in Central Time will see MTP+60, Mountain Time MTP+120 and pacific Time MTP+180. An unfortunate glitch/artifact of the new way TwinSpires reports its post-time data. This shows up on the Card Summary screen as well as other screens where MTP is displayed. I will get this corrected ASAP (by having RDSS read your computer clock Time Zone settings and adjusting MTP - and Race Post Times - accordingly).

6. For Breeders’ Cup this coming weekend, the long-standing problems with Euro races missing a race # (Race# = 0) and thus horses from those races showing incorrect distances and surfaces – still remains. Soon, I will post the list of races with incorrect running lines along with updates TrackMaster PPs for those horses. (I will use the data from these 2020 BC races to finally get that fixed – for next year and for any other North American races where Euro horses compete).

7. Scratches are not correctly applied to a race AFTER it is first assembled (re-open a race after restarting RDSS, or via the Entries screen button Refresh TS Ratings/Scratches). (Fixed for next update).

8. If your database is located in another location other than the current or a previous RDSS\Data\ folder (for example C Drive root, or D drive root, or random folder such as c:\Documents, etc) - RDSS will not download new PPs from TrackMaster regardless of correct UID/PWD or account in good standing. Temporary Solution: copy your database file from wherever else it is stored to your c:\RDSS22\Data folder. Open RDSS2.2, use the Data Mgmt Tools button on the RDSS Desktop to Switch databases to the copy you just relocated in your RDSS2.2\Data folder. After successfully switching to this new location of your database and then resuming successful downloads from TrackMaster, you can delete the database in its old location (e.g. Drive D:\) This will be fixed (you can resume keeping your RDSS database wherever you like.)

Further Additions to Future Updates

1. Updated Documentation and video tutorials

2. Updated Model templates to include the TwinSpires Ratings (and the CSR value)

3. Full Result Chart integration.

4. Updated Race Cards Sidebar: integrate and replace with the Sidebar on MyRaces

Thanks for everyone's patience while I have been doing this significant upgrade to RDSS: I know it has been terribly frustrating at times. I invite everyone who has let their RDSS Subscription lapse for whatever reasons to give this new version a try - I think you'll like it!

(NOTE: anyone who is still using the early V2.2.2020.14 testing version needs to UNINSTALL that version before installing this latest Version 2.2.)

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 11-10-2020 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Update Known Bugs
Old 11-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

RDSS2.1 Documentation

The Documentation for the previous RDSS2.1 version is still relevant.

Here it is: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10574

As soon as I can, I will update the RDSS Documentation PDF to include everything mentioned in this and the previous RDSS documentation threads and the existing Glossary.

Meanwhile, here is the existing Glossary/Documentation PDF.

Ted

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 11-04-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Using RDSS2.1 after installing RDSS2.2

A reminder about the note at the very beginning of the RDSS2.2 Release Notes above, re using RDSS2.1 after installing RDSS2.2:
"... You can run the new and the old versions at the same time, though after you install RDSS2.2, if you again want to use RDSS2.1 you will need to re-install it from the RDSS2.1 Install file you previously downloaded to your computer (RdssInstall.2.1.049.11.exe) otherwise you'll get errors (internet access routines are updated in the new software). There should be no reason to run the old version again."

This will be one common error you'll encounter running the OLD RDSS2.1 without having re-installed it (and a sign that you are inadvertently running RDSS2.1 if you didn't intend to!)

Further to this, if you DO reinstall RDSS2.1 and eventually you decide you don't need it any more (the numbers are the SAME) - I recommend you then reinstall RDSS2.2. This will update to the newest internet access routines I used in the new version (and the reason the old version does not work initially).

Ted

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 11-07-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Closed Thread