Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-28-2022, 02:09 AM   #1
Tim Y
turf historian

Lessons OUTSIDE the basic methadology compelemented it very well

Of all the thing I learned from the Follow up (started at issue 4 and receivied them till the end) was via the literature Dr. Sartin suggested in enhancing his VISION of the methods.

I particulary learned MOST of what I hope he wanted to impart when he suggested reading about Eastern philophical thought via the Tao and the concepts of yin and yang. The sign of the Supreme Ultimate is known to all of us with the black and white depictions of the COMPLEMENTARY aspects of nautre. Their belief was it is only the unity between complementary ideas that leads us to reality. For example, one cannot know sad without the concept of happy, dark without knowing what light is, OR in the case of his handicapping, the complementary aspects of early versus late. He used the terms, as I recall : "either, or" to describe that.

When I started out using Phase III, there wasn't enough of this concept within the software, and it was only when Energy came out that these concepts began to make practical sense: to understand the styles that can, but are not always around. We must start at the Ying (early early/presser, presser) and go toward the yin (sustained/presser, sustained, late) It is the concept of PACE in the same continuum of other complemenatry truths..All races on the main track has variations of these opposites and it is the balance of them (at least the contenders who are in FORM) that creates the pace of the race.

The balance or 'fulcrum," as Pizzola describes in the original Pace Makes the Race, is based upon the 2nd call howerer (the point where the speed mets the stamina) but IT IS INHERENTLY early. Using the % median to describe how much energy is expended by the time of the 2nd call, just about all the standard main track distances are near 60% or more. From 5 furlongs (%median 60%), 5.5f (54.5%), 6f (66%), 6.5f (62%), 7 f (57%), 8f (75%), 8.5f (70.6%) 9f (66.6%), 9.5f(63%), and 10f (60%). Turf is a totally differnt story however.

So the proposed gradual movement from pure ying to pure yin is biased early and so are the results. Dr. William Quirin (in this great book Winning at the Races: Computer Discoveries in Thoroughbred Handicapping) p. 13 First call as 1 2 3 accounts for 57% of all victories...Aslo , it is very common to have several earlies or E/P's in a race, but very rare to have any Lates at all.

I find so many correlates to the Tao, and this seems to be yet another one.