Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion > Speculator
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Speculator Speculator - FAQs, Technical Support, Examples, etc

Old 02-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
racer100
Grade 3

Tam0206-#6

I did this race using my best Perceptor and Energy skill which are still developing, and even though it was a chaulk race (trifecta $77) I was not able to do well on picking it with Speculator160. I picked the win horse and I managed to get the exacta in the top 3 on my first try, but that's as good as I could do. Can somebody correct me and offer criticism on my way of picking lines? I apologize for the text on the screenshot but this is what Tamedos does to my text. You can see the lines I picked for each horse in the BL window. Thank you so much. Critisize as much as you want..I know I suck (big time!) at using Speculator and I am just trying to learn how to become better. Result was:1. Royal 2. Special 3. Rain
Attached Images

Last edited by racer100; 02-08-2007 at 02:11 PM.
racer100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
racer100
Grade 3

Tam 0206 #7

Here is the next race #7 at TAM 0206. Chaulk race again..$52.80 trifecta pay. I managed to pick the quinela as 1,2 bu the show horse was #5 out of 6 contenders. Pretty poor handicapping on my part. I suck..what can I say? At the same time I don't see how any other lines would have been selected since I tried to select same race distance, recency good perceptor and energy ratings..I truly don't see what I could have done differently. Please critisize me and add your own pick decisions. Results were 1. Sandy 2. Oh Oleg 3. D's Dessert Thanks
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

In the Spec160.exe Properties|Font page, try setting Font size to 5 x 8. (i.e. right click spec160.exe in Explorer, choose Properties then the Font tab). On my 1280x1024 screen resolution, that font setting produces the reasonable size images you've seen. There are also several TameDos settings related to font appearance, but I'm not expert in them.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
racer100
Grade 3

Will try that..thank you
Old 02-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Racer,

Aside from whether there were better ways to handicap those last 2 races with Spec or any software, getting the winner or exacta in the top 2 does not constitute 'sucks' by any definition I use!

I suggest you accept those very positive and encouraging results as part of the reasonable distribution of chalk mutuels and keep on going, accumulating performance results including the inevitable mid- or longer priced payoffs. All doubles, pick 3,4,6's necessarily include their fair share of favourites and being able to single or double these in a serial ticket surely pays off.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 02-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
racer100
Grade 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Racer,

Aside from whether there were better ways to handicap those last 2 races with Spec or any software, getting the winner or exacta in the top 2 does not constitute 'sucks' by any definition I use!

I suggest you accept those very positive and encouraging results as part of the reasonable distribution of chalk mutuels and keep on going, accumulating performance results including the inevitable mid- or longer priced payoffs. All doubles, pick 3,4,6's necessarily include their fair share of favourites and being able to single or double these in a serial ticket surely pays off.

Ted
Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep plugging away at it. If somebody would be kind enough to post a better way of handicapping these 2 races that would be much appreciated.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer100 View Post
Here is the next race #7 at TAM 0206. Chaulk race again..$52.80 trifecta pay. I managed to pick the quinela as 1,2 bu the show horse was #5 out of 6 contenders. Pretty poor handicapping on my part. I suck..what can I say? At the same time I don't see how any other lines would have been selected since I tried to select same race distance, recency good perceptor and energy ratings..I truly don't see what I could have done differently. Please critisize me and add your own pick decisions. Results were 1. Sandy 2. Oh Oleg 3. D's Dessert Thanks
Try this (Richie, you may want to make sure I'm not out to lunch here):

The 2 Early horses are #3 Ready and #4 Aizaru. Off the chosen pacelines (which I would also make their Match Up powerlines), no way the 4 can keep up with the 3, so he's out. In turn, the 3 wants about a 3 length open lead at the 1st call (if not also the 2nd call). If you value a length infront at .20 seconds (or 1/5th), it wants to be .60 seconds faster than anyone at Call 1 to survive. It will barely get this from the #4 and will definitely not get this from the #7 who is a clear Early Presser with more Total Energy to boot. In addition, you can place the #7 positionally closer to the lead at most calls, off at least half its pacelines. The #3 is toast.

So scratch the #3 and #4. #5 and #7 appear to own Win and Place between them, so you could then wheel the #1 under the 5,7 in a tri (or just move on). It's so easy to do this in hindsight, but more incentive to try it before the race if the payoff is more promising.

The above procedure is a Match Up approach to eliminating horses, and for more clarity, try reviewing Richie Ps posts starting with his comments in RDSS Forum to TAM 02/06 race #1. Of course, also study The Hat's Match Up 2 text before going to bed each night...

Richie, How'd I do?

Forgive the RDSS pictures below, but it makes things so much clearer. The numbers are the same on Spec160.

Ted
Attached Images

R
DSS -
Old 02-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
racer100
Grade 3

Tam 020607 #9

Here is a totally unhandicapple race in my opinion. Whoever can handicap this one and post their reasoning deserves a prize! Anybody for the challenge? I also attached the TAM020607 DBF files which you can copy in the Spec160 directory to make it easy to see my selections.
Attached Images