Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 05-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Aldens_dad
Grade 1

selecting pace lines

I have been usind RDSS with moderate success well sometimes. I have been spending alot of time in the library lately just trying to educate myself and better understand the software and what its telling me. I just finished reading "The Pace Manual" and I figured out that I cannot pick or have trouble selecting pace lines in past performances I mean if you can't pick the same, consistent pace line how will you ever get to the next level. So I found a race that had me scratching my head whether to use this line or that one. Here are my rules that I use when selecting a pace line.

1. try to select same distance and surface
2. last line is my first choice unless a bad trip or wrong conditions (rule 1)
3. don't select last race if its the highest adj. SR and TE
4. don't select maiden wins unless only + race
5. only select races were horse was not beat more then 7.5 lengths
6. try not to go past 100 days

These are my guidelines that I have written down when doing a race but there always seems to be an expection to the rule.

Any who this is getting a bit long winded but I really could use some guidance here.

I chose this race because it only had 6 horse and a couple were good scenarios that seem to fall in the exception rules.

Horse 1 I chose the 2nd line since the first line is a route and today is a sprint and it was sloppy conditions. The horse has been off for 150 days so going to the 2nd line seems fair but its a maiden win race and boasts the highest adj SR and TE.

Should I use the first line or go back to the 5th line where its a sprint and finished 3rd?
Attached Images

Aldens_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Aldens_dad
Grade 1

Horse 2

I chose the last line here because its the same distance and surface, finished within 7.5 lengths and seemed like the horses better than avg adj SR and TE.

I believe this line is a true representation of this horse.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Aldens_dad
Grade 1

Horse 3

I chose the last line here because the only other line is the maiden win and the SR and TE seem to be a little on the generous side.

Does it seem like some of the adj SR and TE are a bit inflated at times?

I try not to use the horses best line meaning the dream trip scenario that only comes out every now and then.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Aldens_dad
Grade 1

Horse 4

I chose the 2nd line here because the first line was the best the horse ever ran even though it has only ran twice. It just seemed a bit inflated in SR and TE and felt like the 2nd line even though its a maiden win was a better choice for this horse.

Does that make sense?
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Aldens_dad
Grade 1

Horse 5

Used last line here..seemed the logical choice.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Aldens_dad
Grade 1

Horse 6

used 2nd line here because first line seemed inflated and did not want to go back over 100 days to select the same distance. the last 4 races have all been routes so was handcuffed to select a route for a sprint

Should I of went with the first line even though it was the best line for this horse?
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Bill V.
The egg man

race ?

Hi
I have a few Issues, First of which is the race itself.

Second are your rules. I don't agree with them.
But lets look at the race
Name:  at conditions.PNG
Views: 790
Size:  53.0 KB

Right away I see a $100.000 stakes race for young horses.
This looks like the makings of a longshot winner, That winner probably does not fit the guidelines laid out by FTL in this teaching area,
When I see these type races I select my lines, then root for the horses that fit FTL's guidelines. But since nobody has run at this level and some horses only have 2 lines ( 3 is my minimum ) This is a watch and root but not bet race.
When one of the horses wins with a line I smile, When a horse wins and I don't have a line again
I smile because I was smart enough to have passed the race.

As for your rules .. After reading the Pace line manual and the teaching examples here you should rethink your rules
In the pace line manual it says. Look for a line that represents what you expect the horse to do today
Also.... Has done well under the same conditions in its past

Here is how I would have picked lines for this race.
I don't know much about Belmont. I guess it was a fast track and all 6 ran
Who is the winner based on these lines.. ? but lets see,

Horse 1 NL off 147 days only has a mc win and this is not a NW2L race.

Horse 2 This horse shows a move in the last line but its not enough for me to
earn a (+) let alone a + No line

Horse 3. Line 1 its a + line and a recent. The horse has won both its races

Horse 4 Line 1. Just like horse 3, Its a + line .

Horse 5 Line 1 All its races are + lines no reason not to use line 1

Horse 6 No line. I am not going to use a two turn AQU inner mile race
in a Belmont sprint. This horse has no + sprints showing

So I have lines for three horse
The ML for my three horses are
#3 = 1/1
#4 = 1.8/1
#5 = 5/1
So here I only have a bet on #5
As I said I would root for the 3, 4, or 5
but I would pass
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldens_dad View Post
I have been usind RDSS with moderate success well sometimes. I have been spending alot of time in the library lately just trying to educate myself and better understand the software and what its telling me. I just finished reading "The Pace Manual" and I figured out that I cannot pick or have trouble selecting pace lines in past performances I mean if you can't pick the same, consistent pace line how will you ever get to the next level. So I found a race that had me scratching my head whether to use this line or that one. Here are my rules that I use when selecting a pace line.

1. try to select same distance and surface
2. last line is my first choice unless a bad trip or wrong conditions (rule 1)
3. don't select last race if its the highest adj. SR and TE
4. don't select maiden wins unless only + race
5. only select races were horse was not beat more then 7.5 lengths
6. try not to go past 100 days

These are my guidelines that I have written down when doing a race but there always seems to be an expection to the rule.

Any who this is getting a bit long winded but I really could use some guidance here.

I chose this race because it only had 6 horse and a couple were good scenarios that seem to fall in the exception rules.

Horse 1 I chose the 2nd line since the first line is a route and today is a sprint and it was sloppy conditions. The horse has been off for 150 days so going to the 2nd line seems fair but its a maiden win race and boasts the highest adj SR and TE.

Should I use the first line or go back to the 5th line where its a sprint and finished 3rd?
First, let me go over your list.

1 - replace "try to" with "ALWAYS"
2 - Replace with "the last line IS THE LINE, unless there is a "valid reason" to go back one line". The Paceline Manual gives many "valid" reasons. DO NOT invent reasons.
3 - Scrap this line.
4 - OK to use maiden line if today's race is for non winners of two lifetime
5 - Scrap this line. Many times a horse has the lead at the first two calls (a very positive sign) and finishes the race out of the money and beaten more than 7.5 lengths.
6 - replace with DO NOT GO PAST 90 DAYS, for either days since last race or days since the paceline used.

In looking at the horses you posted, here are the horses and lines I would use.

#1 - NO LINE. Hasn't run in 147 days.
#2 - NO LINE. Horse only has 2 races in the last 90 days. Neither is a "good" race. "GOOD" means either a "+" race or a "(+)" race.
#3 - LAST LINE. There is nothing wrong with the line. Use it.
#4 - LAST LINE. There is nothing wrong with the line. Use it. DO NOT go back to a maiden line. This race IS NOT for non winners of 2 races lifetime.
#5 - LAST LINE. There is nothing wrong with the line. Use it.
#6 - NO LINE. Last 4 lines are all routes. Today is a sprint. Horse does not show a "good" sprint race in the entirety of its' PP's.
Contenders are 3,4,5.

Picking contenders and pacelines is not easy, but it certainly isn't as difficult as some may make it.
You posted this in the "teaching" area.
HAVE YOU READ THE OTHER THREADS HERE?
Here is a thread on "picking contenders and pacelines". http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8784
There are many, many examples that will help you.
In fact, you should read all the treads in the "teaching" area. I think you will find all of them helpful.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
exactor
AlwNW1X

I think mentions the Silva course in some followup. Bradshaw mixing pacelines and Pizzola's "soft focus", versus Ainslie, Quinn, Beyer and Brohammer stopping betting at some point tells at least me something.
exactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Aldens_dad
Grade 1

Thanks for the feedback FTL and Bill V. I have a lot to learn which is evident by my post and pace line criteria. I am starting to use a notebook to organize my Sartin education and seem to pull a lot of good information from both your posts. I can't believe I never visited the link from FTL's post in reguard to picking pace lines. I am currently going through it.

I did not want this post turned into a depot for negative comments. I just wanted some feedback and that's all.