Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions) Racing Decision Support System - The NEW Version 2.2

Old 06-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #11
papajohn3times
Grade 1

Smile Last line

Hi Bill
I guess I wrote that wrong! I NEVER USE JUST THE LAST LINE-NEVER! That's just my FIRST STEP as you advocated then I do a visual match-up,look at total energy,percepter and chose a line based on what I think the pace will be- I guess I am going thru all the right steps as my handicapping has been really on lately,since I included all your's and Mitch 44's teaching'
With my grand daughter's final day's at elementary school(her school district includes 6th grade as Jr. High and that totally depress's me!) so I have put racing on the back burner until June 23rd,when I will again be in full swing(mostly weekend's and a little weekly when I get a chance)
I really think that if you don't pick and chose races and be CONSISTENT in your handicapping,tweaking it here and there,constantly learning and researching before hand new ideas and concepts You are making thing's really almost impossible to overcome.
I could go on and on with stories of all the big mouths and know it all's at the betting center here,Hazel Park. I should tape what clever and ALWAYS wrong and stupid ideas and hosey "facts" they come up with!
Later guys!
p.s Kinda bummed that Classic Empire was scratched,I would have bet against what I considered a over worked horse!
Papa John
papajohn3times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
Bill S
AlwNW3X

The preceptor is a great tool. It strips away the wind and smoke and lets you see the underlaying fire. You can see how big or how small that fire is, or if it's getting hotter or cooling off. It lets you see what distance/surface the horse should be running at, and it allows you to see if the horse is improving or declining. It can probably tell you other things too I'm not aware of yet.

Jim Bradshaw said you can win most of your races if you pick the appropriate pace lines. The preceptor is going to go a long way in helping you achieve that.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:06 AM   #13
Lsuchadk
AlwNW1X

Ok guys I keep reading and reading and now am wondering if I have confused myself. My winsare dropping off and I'm feeling lost atm. Here is what I am doing. Hoping for some advice.

I first assemble the races by best preceptor. I then go in and choose lines that I think best reflect the race. I then go in and start on the matchup. I find the lead horse and use its first call pace, the next best second call, etc. At this point I now have my projected pace and now go back in and try to match the horses with that pace by choosing the most appropriate line for the projected pace. Here is my question. Can I still use the TPR elimination technique that Bill talks about or have I now moved away from what the program was designed for by setting up the matchup based pace lines for all?

Thanks for the help.

Chad
Lsuchadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #14
Bill V.
The egg man

do what your doing

hi Chad
Sorry for the delay, I've been working on a personal project, One that I hope we will all enjoy.

I suggest you continue to do what you're doing, You might be mixing too many ingredients for your stew.

Pick your pacelines and eliminate to your contenders the way the program is designed for. Folks like Mitch and Tim LT1 and Ted and Rmath do excellent work You should read their work.

The way I work races is based on the book Pace Makes The Race
It is a very simple basic method.
I get the winner in my top 5 contenders just about every race.
That would be great if I bet 5 horses to win
Since I do not do that I need other methods to select the winner of these 5
contenders

That is where I use the match up basics, Can one of the early horses
go wire to wire or will a presser overtake the early horse(s)
or will a late horse overtake everybody?
This is where I analyze the early late difference sticks and the most important readout VDC.

so I kind of do what you do but I get to the final place using a different path

Good Skill
Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #15
Bill S
AlwNW3X

Chad,
I think the same thing Bill V. said, your taking on too much to start and suffering information overload. I did the same thing initially.....

I'd suggest you start by studying RDSS, learn what it's readouts mean and understand what the 10 analyst panels are telling you and how each one feeds information to the next. Ted has a video up that explains that. These are your tools and a craftsman must understand how to use his tools.

Next practice paceline selection. I use the best of last three comparable via the perceptor. But don't do it blindly. Use common sense. Howard Sartin wrote a lot about it.

There is a thread here Jeebs started called "Handicapping Blind - Using PoH/TPR/Primary screens". Go read that thread, especially the stuff that Mitch44 wrote in it about paceline selection and energy vs visual running style.

and finally start keeping records of what factors are best for the track you play broken down by surface and distance. I find that even though we have all these factors Dr. Sartin gave us, not all of them work equally for a particular track/distance/surface. I work during the day so I play night tracks, primarily Penn National. What I see from my records are that there is a subset of factors that are highly predictive for each distance and surface. Like for 6f dirt right now at Penn the most predictive I'm seeing is TE, FW, VDC, and TS. Approx 75 percent of the horses that rate in the top 2 of these factors in BL/BL win at this distance. Now I move over to 1 mile 70 and the top factors change to EPR, CPR, FX, and TS. They change based on distance and surface. I don't know why but they do. I track a total of 14 factors per race, but a subset of 3 or 4 rise to the top. The only way your going to find this out is to keep records.

You can read in the follow up a lot where Dr Sartin used to complain about how people always asked him what are the best factors to watch. His answer was always the same. . . . "What your records tell you they are for your track...."

Anyway keep it simple at first and the other stuff will come in time.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #16
Bill S
AlwNW3X

Chad,
I forgot one thing in my last post. Learn all you can about what Dr Sartin calls wagercapping.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #17
Lsuchadk
AlwNW1X

Thanks for the info guys. Spotted some trends at Evangeline tonight and made some good choices.

Chad
Lsuchadk is offline   Reply With Quote