Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions) Racing Decision Support System - The NEW Version 2.2

Old 05-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivegauche610
AlwNW3X

I'm going to go out on a limb and muse that a grant of some kind is in order so that someone (and no, I have no one in mind, as I am new here) can distill 1) the Follow Ups, 2) Brohamer/Quinn/Sartin misc, 3) Recent analysis and program enhancements, into a comprehensive RDSS2 Training Manual. A caveat would have to be that it cannot hope to start "ab initio" with a neophyte and walk him or her through handicapping 101 all the way to Sartin Methodology Advanced. The material would have to assume fluency with Brohamer, Pace Makes the Race (both versions, perhaps; I got a lot from reading both) AND the fundamentals of "mainstream handicapping" that are necessary as background/preparation to understanding what is going on here. I say all this because I have been reading in Follow Ups and I feel there is a cognitive disconnect (for me, anyway) between the older pre-RDSS/RDSS2 information, especially names of the old modules/programs, their printouts and their programming, and the many, many abbreviations, acronyms and assumed knowledge on the part of the reader. So, how marvelous it would be to see a document come out of this. I used to be a technical writer in my younger days, among my other past lives, but I am not yet conversant with the program nor its intricacies nor with advanced Sartin Methodology processes, so I can't offer my services in this area. Perhaps a GoFundMe drive amongst Sartin enthusiasts? Anyway, this all just came to mind while reading through the Sartin Today Wkbk 1.
Rivegauche610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #12
DanBoals
Grade 1

Hey Rivegauche610, yes, a manual would be awesome. The only question is how much would it be worth to you? I used to work as a software engineer, and at one job, we were required to update the manuals, and I can tell you it is a LOT of work time wise. Someone has to pay for those hours and hours of labor. Myself, I would pay $40 for a complete RDSS2 manual that described everything in detail even if it did not go into how to handicap the Sartin way. I feel after 20 years+ I know the methodology pretty well, and can fumble my way through handicapping a race if I have BL/BL and some other basics. What I would need a manual for, is the trackmaster stuff and all the new bells and whistles that have been added since Synthesis. Like I did not even know you could split the screen to show E and E/P, P and SP, and S. That is so cool.

With Ted dedicated to programming the new version, I would think he would need to bring on a second person to do the manual, or wait until after the release and do the manual himself. Either way, a lot of time and therefore money would go into it, and I am not sure how many people would be willing to pay money for it when they can come to this forum and ask others about things they don't know. So, even though it would be incredibly awesome to have a RDSS2 manual, I just do not see it happening in the near future.

That being said, there is no reason we probably couldn't start a forum called "Documenting the RDSS" and put in our own observations on what works in what situations. We could make a "users" manual with everyone contributing ideas and input based on what they use and how they use it. Bill does this exceptionally well in his posts, but we could all throw in our 2 cents worth. With everyone adding in some help on new features and seldom used features, we could probably get a decent collection of info that could serve as a manual for new users. And don't discount new users input, they see things differently and their questions often clue us in to what is missing or needed and what needs explaining. Anyway, I would be willing to give an hour or two a week to researching and writing about RDSS and its features so that a new user can jump right in. If anyone else is interested, let's try it. If it sucks, Ted can maybe steer us in the right direction, if people like it, then the forums have a new resource.
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #13
Rivegauche610
AlwNW3X

Dan, I was a civilian tech writer for the military in my younger days. I know what you mean. From my experience, it seems you can get quite a lot from the forums and from reading things like "Official Sartin Methodology TODAY Workbook for Video/Audio #1" which I guess describes the workings of the original/legacy programs. So most likely an RDSS document, which I consider somewhat of an anachronism from the early days of corporate computing, isn't in the cards, and that's OK. Not impossible to learn on the fly, however, especially if you read Brohamer's MPH and the revised PMtR. - Kevin
Old 05-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #14
Rivegauche610
AlwNW3X

New question, please: What is the significance of the three R-G-Y pgm #s on the Original tab screen?
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #15
gandalf380
Grade 1

Those are the three ml favorites
Old 05-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #16
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Surprise! In fact, they are the Top CR Class Rating horses (and not Morning Line Odds). And the 4th CR ranked horse is shown in bold (as is the custom for all factor ranks on all screens: red/green/yellow/bold = rank 1-2-3-4). These ranks are shown on ALL Analysis screens. A shortcut way of identifying highly consistent contenders, across all tracks, surfaces, distances, competition levels (although, NOT a successful final and profitable separation of contenders). As discussed below, this rating is NOT related to speed, pace or velocity, and thus gives a useful 'non-correlated' measurement for discovering true contenders. Note: the improved CR+ rating in RDSS 2.1 works even better, as documented in Bill Lyster's Statistical study of V2.1 factors.

CR is our Class Rating, derived from APV Average Purse Value competed in, plus ITM consistency plus Earnings per Start.

I used the Google Site search for 'CR Class Rating formula' and found this post of mine from Dec 17, 2012. Also, a reference to an old Follow Up with the formula used, and a link to an older RDSS Release Notes documentation for CR is given. Enjoy!
CR is based on Earnings, Consistency and Average Purse Value relative to today's purse, in the most recent 6 starts this year, or on all starts this year and last year if less than 6 starts this year. It has nothing to do with the conditions of those races or of today's race (i.e. Claiming, Allowance, etc).

The precise formula for CR and APV is published in Follow Up #5, Page 7 (check the Library).

Here is a link to the RDSS V0.97.0 (http://www.sartinmethodology.com/pub...Notes_0970.pdf) Release Notes, where APV and CR were introduced, with some further notes (please see point #3)

This is an overall measurement of the horse's competitiveness and consistency, relative to today's class level of race as expressed by Purse Value (thus earnings) and not by velocity or how it ran against the pace of race, nor on the horse's movements up and down the race condition hierarchy. It also does not factor in recency, current fitness, suitability to today's pace matchup, etc. These latter Condender measurements are done by selecting representative recent pacelines (single lines, but hopefully corroborated by other lines when the horse ran well and was fit and properly placed).

Interestingly, CR and APV (Average Purse Value, a portion of which is used in the CR calculation) since they are based on money earnings and consistency and not on speed or velocity or deceleration - are non-correlated variables (i.e. they are based on different measures) - so, when you get a degree of match between Contenders which rank well on CR and which also rank well on velocity/energy measurements (and also appear to be in good current form) - you then have the synergy of looking at the horse from 2 different directions and confirmation that it is real today.
Hope that helps!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 05-24-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #17
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Kevin - I like your screenshots to illustrate your queries! Is there anyway you can capture LESS than the full screen (like many of the RDSS screenshots you see elsewhere). That will make your images smaller, not distort the posts with their over-size, and focus readers attention on the specific query at hand.

You can use the built-in Windows 'snippingtool' (type that word in the Windows Search bar to find the program). It comes with Windows, so even on your Mac.

Thanks for your questions!

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 05-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #18
Rivegauche610
AlwNW3X

Snipping Tool

Yes, of course. I just figured out the Snipping Tool and used the Rectangular tool.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #19
Rivegauche610
AlwNW3X

Ted, since the screen shots appearing as posts 5 & 6 in this thread are different from what I use, can I conclude they are earlier versions of RDSS, even though they're only from April?

Also, some folks suggest in answers to my posted queries on other threads to "just read this" or "just read that", and I find myself struggling to find "this" or "that" in these forums. There are so many separate links to single-issue threads, or maybe one or two posts in a short thread, or links to independent documents, that the information tends to be spread out over a wide field. Not a complaint, just an observation. I can see why a Users' Guide would be unwieldy, but perhaps instead a search and compile effort to place so many references for beginners into a central location. I know that is your intent with the "Learning Center" (Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101")."

I also own both versions of "PMTR", and getting to the end of the original book, I see Sartin wrote a chapter entitled "Advanced Concepts" that is especially interesting.

I have also learned some interesting lessons at GP today (5/25/16) about combining/blending/incorporating additional (handicapping-intuitive?) analysis not necessarily supplied by the numbers, as many posts and writings have advised. This and others to follow is just testing to see "what the program tells me". There is much more work of my own to do, and I know that integrating judgement with readouts is crucial.

Kevin
Old 05-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #20
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivegauche610 View Post
Ted, since the screen shots appearing as posts 5 & 6 in this thread are different from what I use, can I conclude they are earlier versions of RDSS, even though they're only from April?
Kevin
Kevin, Well, since this discussion is occurring in the RDSS 2.1 (testing) Forum, that screen is from a LATER version than you have, i.e. the unreleased V2.1. There is stuff there not yet in your version (which is 3 years old).

I hear you about documentation being spread all over! I do remember spending a LOT of time, though, gathering all my own Release Notes for various versions into one forum: the RDSS Help & Reference Forum and all the posts and links to documents within it. Of course, over time, helpful and inquisitive folks have discussed and elaborated on anything and everything in numerous discussions here and there. It's like trying to keep a garden neat and tidy over the years ...

Hope the day at GP was good to you (either or both financially and educationally)!

Also, in this thread and Forum announcing RDSS 2.1 - any chance of keeping the topic (mostly) to ... RDSS 2.1 (in case people are searching by topic)?

cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -