Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
Capcondo
Grade 1

Pattern Recognition - Router in a sprint

About a week ago, PeteC put up a nice race for 5K claimers paying a purse of $7,100 from Emerald Downs. It's available in the matcher forum if you'd like to look at it.

I totally missed the race.

The winner of the race was a router (he had one sprint in his ten PP lines). This is a pattern I have seen repeat itself many times.

All the routes for this horse were at TuP. The line I looked at was the fourth line back. The fractions were 23.3 46.4 1:12.1. The horse was in 3rd position 1 length back at the first call and second call and in 2nd position .5 lengths back at the six furlong call. If we use the Hat's method of subtracting 2/5 of a second to get a sprint time for the half mile and six furlong time and make an appropriate quarter mile time, we end up with a 22.4 46.2 1:11.4 for the router.

The race actually went 21.4 44.1 56.3 1:09.1 There was a great deal of early speed in the race. Also, EMD just might be the fastest track in North America; faster still than Turf Paradise if you can believe that. Still, the quarter time puts the router about 5 lengths off the lead which is where he was at the first call. The other fractions don't match up quite so well. I believe this is due to the speed of the race tracks involved.

The horse paid 6:1 winning from off the pace.

Here are a few characteristics I have observed about these types:

1. They need to run very close to a fast route pace through six furlongs.
2. If they show that they need the lead, a judgment needs to be made if they can run without the lead.
3. Sometimes these horses run from off the lead in sprints. Other times, they can run close to a slow sprint pace.

There was a race from Hollywood on the grass on Sunday 7/1 that fit this pattern. Race #7 at six furlong where the 2 won at 7:1. The 2 had run in a mile route on the grass 3 back that went 22.2 45 1:08.3 where he sat 3rd 3.5L back at the first call, 4th 3.5 lengths back at the second call, and 2nd 2.5 lengths back at the 6 furlong call.

These routers frequently pay well and come up much more often than you might think.

Tim
Capcondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
Lord John
AlwNW1X

Location: Inland Empire. Lived here since '74. Never knew about Pirco. Shame!
Cap, Glad to see you 'Matching" using Pattern Recognition. I have gotten very good at 'Matching" by practicing the Mind's Eye exercises and the Voodoo threads. I have been 'practicing' for about 6 months now and it's amazing how races seem to keep repeating and repeating. I'm not an expert, yet, but I'm sure headed that way. I let my brain do all the work and only use 'software' as my corollaries at the very end of 'capping to either confirm my picks or spot something I may have over looked. Keep up the 'Pattern Recognition."
Lord John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
PeteC
Grade 1

Repeat?

Hey Tim, thanks for your post and I've been thinking about what you said. I've been waiting to find a race myself that I think fits what you are describing. I have posted one today and we'll see if I'm on the right track. Here's what I see...

1,4,5,6,7 like to be on the lead or very close. As a group I see them as very similar, either on the lead in 22 or pressing/fighting in 21.4 or so.

The 8 has won and finished 2nd by half a length against a 22 45 and seems like a prime OTE contender to me. The horse that made me think of your post is the 3. It led a route at the quarter and half and was still only a half length back at the 6F mark against a 111. Doing the conversion you mentioned give a 110.3 which seems to compare favorably against the early runners' recent times, especially considering the hot pace they should face today.

I'm going with the 8 and the 3...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf prm8.pdf (153.9 KB, 1159 views)
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
PeteC
Grade 1

#5 take them all the way...
Attached Images

PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote