Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 08-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Record keeping

Record keeping

Record keeping is boring. However, it can both save you money and make you money.

For example, I had a good day yesterday, but wasn't sure exactly where the money came from. I bet 55 races at 16 tracks.

I'm mostly a win, daily double and multiple race bettor. However, yesterday I was in the mood for some exotics and took a shot.

Basing everything on $2 bets I was shocked to discover the results as I thought I was doing okay. I lost $84.75 on exactas and $82.00 on trifectas. I didn't hit one super so I didn't bother to add up the loss on that wager (I bet more than $2 and varied the size of the wagers on different races, which is why basing the results on $2 can be an eye opener).

I didn't have time for Pick3 and Pick4s, but I did play Daily Doubles. That's where all the exotic profit came from. I made $273.80 on Daily Doubles.

Every once in a while I like to confirm my areas of strength and weakness. For me win bets and serial wagers are the way to go.

Not being totally dim I think I'll skip exactas and tris today.

Do you know your own strengths? Keep records for the weekend and see how you do. You might, as I was, be surprised.
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
noddub62
Budman

good post, so true

bud
noddub62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
vderdak
Grade 1

Here are my numbers for the weekend, win bets only playing one or two horses $2.00 bets.

Name:  Weekend Bets.PNG
Views: 621
Size:  79.6 KB
vderdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
alydar_ David
Grade 1

That's a nice return.

An ROI of 1.59 means a return of $3.18 for every $2.00 bet.

Keep up the good work, vderdak.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
vderdak
Grade 1

Thanks, just doing some testing but had a good two days.

Twinspires will of course automatically track my win % and ROI as long as I keep the bets the same for the test period.

You too but how do you do so many races...lol

Vince
Old 08-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
trotman
Grade 1

To all,
You are the center of everything, never let that escape you. Do 1 month cycles it makes things easier, Lets face it who wants to figure out where you went wrong, Ok tounge in cheek Game plan, odds line accepted, bet if the bet makes you. Done, over, Next.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
reckless
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydar_David View Post
Record keeping

Record keeping is boring. However, it can both save you money and make you money.
hi David:

Your record keeping per the post pertains to your betting--wagers, results, ROI, etc.

Do you do any handicapping record keeping as well? Do you keep records on the different tracks you may play? Distances? Class? General modeling?

If you do some sort of modeling, what do you model? And, if so, does your shorter term models (10-20 races, 10-20 days) consistently coincide or reflect with any longer term record keeping?

Thanks.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
vderdak
Grade 1

I used to keep models but I no longer do, with my brisnet past performance it gives me what's winning: ESP, lengths behind and positions behind, trackmaster has a spot to look up what's winning as well and I can look at instant charts for the last 4 or 5 days and it tells my how the races are being won and that's enough information for me to make decisions on what is winning at the track.

I also vary my tracks enough that it would be to much record keeping when it's all available online now in just a few minutes search.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
hi David:

Your record keeping per the post pertains to your betting--wagers, results, ROI, etc.

Do you do any handicapping record keeping as well? Do you keep records on the different tracks you may play? Distances? Class? General modeling?

If you do some sort of modeling, what do you model? And, if so, does your shorter term models (10-20 races, 10-20 days) consistently coincide or reflect with any longer term record keeping?

Thanks.
Hello Reckless,

I used to use Bettor Keep Track which handled all of the record keeping nicely. The only problem was the DOS manual entry. And let's face it, the program is not very user friendly. Still, it's the best I've seen.

For the past few years I've used a spreadsheet which is more or less a copy of what Richie and Bill V. created.

I only model one track at a time. Typically that's NYRA except during the winter when I model Gulfstream Park -- my home away from home.

In terms of the model I only keep track of the last seven races, sometimes five if there's a lot of activity. For example, 6F on a dirt track where they run that distance daily. I toss the old races. Keeping them serves no purpose other than to mislead you. "What happened yesterday is more important than the sum total of last year." Database handicapping doesn't work, at least not for me. Been there, done that, lost more than enough money to make that a forgone conclusion. Case closed.

Years ago I would model with Dick Mitchell's programs. I found that breaking it down too much was counter productive. I no longer separate by age or sex or class except I make a distinction between Stakes and Non-Stakes races. No maidens. No off tracks. No races taken off the turf. No races where there was something obviously amiss, like a jockey falling off a horse.

With the exception of Median Energy I keep track by "1"s and "2"s. In other words I'm only interested in tracking the winner if he was first or second in that category. For example, if he wins and was third in FW he gets no credit for that in my model.

You can probably find Richie's Speculator model somewhere in the archives. Or maybe it was Bill's. Either one should do the trick. Or, maybe it was Energy. I forget.

Tip: don't make the mistake I did attempting to model several tracks. You'll lose interest, get tired of the whole process and eventually abandon it.

That's not to say you can't bet every track under the sun. I do. But I have the most confidence and increased bet size when I wager on the track I model.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
vderdak
Grade 1

I agree, if your playing one track it's good idea to do but with multiple track play it becomes a grind eventually. Like I said before I just need an understanding if it's lone speed winning, off the pace just a bit or the sustained horses winning.

There are so many variables involved, I'm just looking for reliable estimates to guide me and if you are not making your living off of racing there are time constraints as well.

I just like to look for good wagering races and let the program and odds guide me. I am more decision minded than selection minded when picking horses.

To me contender selection and paceline selection are keys to finding the winner along with playing races in which you have a good estimate of ability, staying away from those races which don't make sense.