Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
lsosa54
Grade 1

Ray: I think I participated in the 1990 or 1991 version. Obviously no internet so it was all manual input off the DRF. Think I had Synergism 2.

A couple of buddies and I flew up from L.A. I remember the area up and down the street was pretty run down. I think the Hilton was the only nice place as I think it was newer at the time. Hopefully it's changed for the better.

It was my first tournament and I had only been 'capping for a couple of years. I made no money but at least I was able to walk out on Sunday with a decent chunk of my starting bankroll. I think you had to put up $500 to play.

Rousso was definitely legit and a very good capper. I think he used to sit and cap with Brohamer and Quinn as Quinn always got a box for the big meet. He had a 900 number set up - might have been part of Selvin's Handicappers Reports 900 numbers at the time along with Jeff Siegel. Believe he did become a lawyer.

I think Doc recommended 2 horse betting more for psychological reasons given the group of folks I saw at his seminars. A lot of folks were having trouble understanding the concepts and probably didn't have the makeup for long run outs. He did say that 2 horse betting was actually more profitable than one horse. I never agreed but I was happy to give up some profit for more peace of min.

I guess it depends on one's hit rates but I think it's very tough nowadays to be grinding it out as a 2 horse bettor on lower priced horses and make a profit. Odds are much lower on those horses nowadays vs. the late 80's and early 90's. Plus, you have to keep your "mistakes" or "oversights" down to almost none - there is no margin for error. You have to remove yourself emotionally and run it like a business.

I think Bill's example shows that you have to do what you're comfortable with at a betting level you're comfortable with.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
James T.
AlwNW1X

I'm not sure I get it. I've been told that one can achieve about a 30% win just by betting on the favorite. So how is 25% better?
James T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
atkinsrr
Grade 1

depends on your mutual average...if you bet 100 races @ $2.00 each you have $200 invested...if you hit 30% at an ave mutual of $6.70 you break even...if you bet all favs I doubt that your mutual would be over $5.00. if you only hit 25% but are more selective on price and not betting many favs you can show a profit.
atkinsrr is offline   Reply With Quote