Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Saratoga Meetups > 2012
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

2012 Meet us at the Spa for 3 days of Great Racing and Learning!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

The 'SPA'

As I sit at my Aunt's house in Buffalo this morning, and reflect on the two days at the "SPA". I have never seen crowds like that at a racetrack...... fabulous to see....the Strawberry Lemonade, and the Lobster Roll are worth the $3.00 to get in. Meeting Bill Parcells was kind of fun.

The betting - I bought a voucher on friday for $500.00, and cashed out on Saturday, $542.80.

I raeally made a mistake on Saturday. I had many winners - but for some reason, I started betting Exacta's and Tri's....... lesson learned.

I will stick to win betting from here on in.......I could not win a triactor st save my life.

Great time, Great People, and thanks for doing this. Next time I think I might try to hit the Travers.

Happy Punting,
JL

Name:  THESPA.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  37.5 KB

Last edited by Ted Craven; 08-25-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: resize image
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
lsosa54
Grade 1

Nice to see everyone there and finally meet Bert. After 23 years of reading him in the Follow Up and listening to him on seminar tapes, I started to think he was a ghost! It was a blast to listen to and talk with him about all the fun he had in those old days when the PIRCO team was all together.

As most of you know, I'm not an RDSS user but have always believed in what Ted was doing in terms of preserving and modernizing the Sartin Methodology and so didn't mind spending all those hours digitizing tapes and manuals. I joined PIRCO as a member back in 1989 when Synergism 2 was the program one started with. Plus, Ted is a nice guy, isn't he? Must get it from his Madre (that would be Mum in Spanish).

Some quick takeaways:

1-Make bets, not picks (Ted)

2-Consistency in one's approach above all else. Stop zigging and zagging with approaches or software (Ted)

3-Have fun. If you're not, find something else for a hobby or profession (Bert)

To be clear on my approach, I use CJ's pace figs uploaded into AOdds 98 Super Gold exported into EXDC/Thoromation. A slightly manual process but no manual input. If I was starting out today and I had no comfort level, I would probably start with RDSS. Bert stated that he was thrilled to find software that had modernized and automated Doc's concepts. High praise coming from a charter member of PIRCO.

The other interesting thing that Bert said that took me by surprise was that he was not a handicapper and didn't really know much about it. His strength was pattern recognition through modeling a track. Very sound advice, esp. to newbies. There is no free money in this game - one has to put in a lot of work. Ask Bert about his "Trinity" play - and no, it has nothing to do with his ministry!

All in all, I spent a great 4 days. We had a lot more intermingling of the PA, Pace N Cap, and PaceFigs folks than last year. OTM Al from the PA board did a great job being there with the tickets, arranging the tent seating, and sneaking some extra Toga swag to everyone. PA himself provided a great spread with some excellent food and custom designed Tshirts on Saturday free to ALL - no matter what forum you belonged to! Ted made sure everyone that had a laptop had access to a power strip. Great stuff.

Forgot to mention, if I lived in a state where I could use NHPLAY, I certainly would. These guys are bettors themselves and they are very good at what they do. Impressive presentation.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

1 last Picture.....Love the "SPA"

Picture of my Dad ..... leaving the the "SPA".......

Name:  DadattheSPA.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  42.1 KB

Last edited by Ted Craven; 08-25-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: resize picture
Old 08-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Here I sit with my bags mostly packed for 3 weeks in Italy, checking off more of my To Do's. I had one of the most enjoyable trips ever to Saratoga, partly due to the mostly great weather, part to a profitable time betting and a lot due to meeting old friends again and several new ones.

Our Friday evening seminar was attended by 14 people, by my count. We have videos of Bert Mayne and myself which will be posted later once they're stitched together and tidied up as best we can. Barb C will post those in due course.

First up was Scott and Gary from NHPLAY, our hosts at their offices and conference facilities in Saratoga, talking about their ADW/Players servies organization. I think everyone was impressed at their dedication to bettors, and the investment in tools to provide a great wagering platform.

Bert Mayne talked about his days in the Methodology from the early 1980's and his best memories of what he learned from Howard Sartin, also his newest experiences getting a handle on RDSS and modern racing.

Charlie B lead in our group handicapping of the Alabama Stakes as always, and we identified not only the favourite winner, Questing, along with the other likely winner Grace Hall, but more importantly we zeroed in on the likely Place horse In Lingerie which helped many of us get the $45.20 Exacta - the best bet in that race.

It was indeed a weekend for Fathers and sons, Mothers and sons, Fathers and daughters

Following are some photos from various days of the weekend.

Most of us posing for the 2012 group shot: Ted C, Lou S (lsosa54), Bert Mayne, Jenny Mayne, Wayne N (pilot), Charlie B (gandalph380), Paul Y (wagercapper), Barb C, Don E (tazzer). Missing are Jon L (Mr Pagine) and his father Brian L, Mike T, Rich M.

Name:  DSCF1021 (800x434).jpg
Views: 827
Size:  73.0 KB

Don E and Lou S

Name:  Don-e+lou-s.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  36.8 KB

Don and Wayne N and Thoromation running on Lou's computer

Name:  don+wayne.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  36.0 KB

Paul Y (wagercapper) - not shown is his fabulous Apple Mac running RDSS and Twinspires video (crystal clear, many oohs and aahs)

Name:  DSCF1026.JPG
Views: 834
Size:  224.8 KB

Bert Mayne and his daughter Jenny

Name:  Bert Mayne and his daugher Jenny.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  260.5 KB

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Ted Craven
Grade 1

The beginning of the 2012 Alabama Stakes

Name:  alabama.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  43.6 KB

Looking forward to more of my mother's photos, and anyone else's!

Charlie - any photos of your 40th anniversary with Missie (celebrated at the track, and announced in the Saratogian newspaper Happy 40 years - many more to you both!)

It was nice to mingle and reconnect with many of the PaceAdvantage members too. I got to spend a lot of time with Chris D (Track Collector) and Bob D (Red Knave), also spent some time with Tom, Darryl (Zaf), Andicap, Overlay, PA (Mike) and never forgetting OTM Al who does the legwork for these gatherings every year.

Thanks to everyone who made the weekend so enjoyable

R
DSS -
Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Great Time - Thank you

Ted, and members of P and C,

Overall, it was a fantastic trip, and I would tell all to go. Great hats, Great food, Great track, Great horses.

The one minor suggestion I would have....... introductions; besides knowing Ted, and Bert introducing himself. I had no clue who anyone was?

I knew Barb C from pictures.

Great job by all.

JL
Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
barb craven
Grade 1

Thanks for bringing that up. It was a bit of a problem as we were intermingled with the folks from Pace Advantge. We'll see if we can do something about that.
In the meantime, I have a partial video of Bert Mayne speaking at the seminar on the Friday night. I had a very new camera (three days old) and a small card. I thought I had the whole thing, but only have the last part. I am not sure how to post a video. If anyone could help me on that I would appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
wagercapper
Winner

Smile The Graveyard of Favorites

They say that Saratoga is the graveyard of favorites. Well, what do they expect with all that beer being dumped onto the track between races?
Attached Images

wagercapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
DocSartinLearner
Grade 1

I'm amazed Ted

Hi Ted,

I'm amazed with the good information, the pictures from Saratoga 2012. The truth is, I'm still reading these good news. But, I need you to tell me that you're back from that wonderful trip to Italy. So, please let me know.

DocSartinLearner (DSL)
DocSartinLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #20
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSartinLearner View Post
Hi Ted,

I'm amazed with the good information, the pictures from Saratoga 2012. The truth is, I'm still reading these good news. But, I need you to tell me that you're back from that wonderful trip to Italy. So, please let me know.

DocSartinLearner (DSL)
DSL,

I am indeed back safe and sound from that trip to Italy, thanks! Here's an interesting horse racing related post: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...68&postcount=8

I am trying to dig up some videos we took at the seminar at Saratoga, of Bert Mayne, and of me. When I find them, I'll post them here.

cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -