Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Tim Y
turf historian

wager construction

In ANY field of endeavor, once you start thinking you know it all, some one enlightens you to an aspect you have either never discovered or took too lightly. At Sartin Alums we have the best handicapper/wager combination player I have ever encountered (TK a high shcool physics teacher and basketball coach from Minnesota) and he has put me onto a site that has amazed me.

The LOST art at the track is on the other side of the coin: effective wager construction in those races where the pace scenario looks like one can understand it. I usually do not follow THOROGRAPH, but at their website, be sure to check out The Redboard Room (Still think that designation is stupid- as a matter of fact EVERY example in the Follow Up qualifies for that designation!! You only learn from history) . The redboard room takes a race of two to show examples of effective wager construction. One of my favorites there was a wager to amke money on Smarty's Derby (a not so large wager that returned big profits).

As a new student in wager construction, I continue to impove in that arena as I an now taking much more time in that arena rather than having a SET pattern of wagers as each race offers differing opportunities.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

What is the wager construction product, or sub-section in the Thorograph Redboard room you are looking at to study wager construction. I've been roaming around there for 30 minutes and can find lots of their products, but nothing so far relating to wager construction.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Tim Y
turf historian

There is NO product, just a discussion of how past race wagers were constructed and exchange of ideas on how to the most out of a race.

Last edited by Tim Y; 07-23-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Fine. Can you point further to that discussion. Something there, on some page or forum, prompted your post here.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 07-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Fine. Can you point further to that discussion. Something there, on some page or forum, prompted your post here.

Ted
My computer just burnt up (mother board we think) and until I can retrieve all the references bookmarked there as well as my Thorograph password, I cannot quote one. The last one I looked at was the great Smarty Jones superfecta I saw there.

Last edited by Tim Y; 07-23-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
Rverge
Grade 1

speaking of sheets, never could use them. too much paper maybe. and the price, yo! and has any one compared razgon, Thro, Trackmaster?
Old 07-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
My computer just burnt up (mother board we think) and until I can retrieve all the references bookmarked there as well as my Thorograph password, I cannot quote one. The last one I looked at was the great Smarty Jones superfecta I saw there.
When you get a chance, Tim. Always interested in learning more about wager construction. Will keep poking around Thorograph.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 07-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rverge View Post
speaking of sheets, never could use them. too much paper maybe. and the price, yo! and has any one compared razgon, Thro, Trackmaster?
Ragozin's The Sheets and Thorograph have been compared. Although there were, shall we say, complications and the study was invalid. Do a Google search and read all about the mess if you really want to. Warning, some of the participants are quite zealous.

Personally, I have an extensive history of using both. I got into The Sheets back in the 70's when we had to sign for them. The cost of the transaction was dependent on big a bettor you were. No kidding.

I did a "fourth out" statistical research project for Ragozin. The results were inconclusive, unlike the "third out" results which were done by someone else previously.

From there I was introduced to the Turf Investment Society of San Clemente. That was my first glimpse at pace handicapping. Then, the Sartin methodology.

In my opinion The Sheets are so much better than Thorograph that they may as well be on different planets. There is no comparison.

Trackmaster is not even in the same universe.

What may be superior to all of the above are C.J's Pace Figures and Cary Fotias' Equiform. I have the honor of knowing both gentlemen personally and go way back with both of them...with Cary all the way to Atane, his first pace based sheets to rival The Sheets. I remember when he got Richie Schwartz as one of his first big clients and how excited he was about it.

Cary went on to write Blinkers Off. And CJ, of course, has his own web site. CJ is a class act all they way. I can't say enough good things about him.

It should be noted that none of the above are black box, get rick quick, software programs. You still have to handicap with them, just as you do with any of the Sartin software programs.

The ways and means may be different -- patterns, turf declines, which sets of figures to use where, etc. But you still have to handicap.
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #9
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
When you get a chance, Tim. Always interested in learning more about wager construction. Will keep poking around Thorograph.

Ted
Ted, although not what Tim is talking about, you may find this interesting:

https://www.thorograph.com/archive/b...uidelines.html
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
Tim Y
turf historian

Same idea

They use a real race a day or so after it ran.