Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 12-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Rverge
Grade 1

pace line selection

hi billV and all, Bill, when uing RDSS2, what "pace line stratagies" do you or anybody select? does one just use only one all the races or change according to the race condition-surface-distance?
rverge
Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rverge View Post
hi billV and all, Bill, when uing RDSS2, what "pace line stratagies" do you or anybody select? does one just use only one all the races or change according to the race condition-surface-distance?
rverge
I use the same line selection method on all distances, surfaces or race conditions.

For all intents and purposes, it is right out of the Paceline Manual.
Use the last line UNLESS there is a "valid reason" to go back "a line".

So what exactly does that mean?
Well, it DOESN'T mean use the last line if the last line is a bad race!!
So what is a good race?
Here are my guidelines.
1 - any race that is similar in distance and surface where the horse ran 1st, 2nd or 3rd ( or what is know as a + race)

2 - any race that is similar in distance and surface where the horse was 1st or 2nd at the first and/or second calls, even if it fades in the stretch (or what is known as a (+) race)

3 - any race that is similar in distance and surface where the horse made a good middle move (between the first and second call) where it gains position and lengths to be within 2 lengths of the leader or on the lead at the second call, even if it fades in the stretch (also known as a (+) race)

This is really pretty straight forward, with the idea being that when a horse races in one of the above ways, it was "impacting" the race.
If the horse wasn't "impacting" the race, it wasn't a good race.

If the last line is not a good race and there is a "valid" excuse for the bad race, then go back one line and start the process over again.
For more information on "valid" excuses, please read the Paceline Manual in the library.
Myself, I only use horses that have raced in the last 90 days and I don't use a line that is more than 90 days old.

Last edited by For The Lead; 12-06-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add'l info
For The Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Bill V.
The egg man

Pace lines

Rverge

FTL and I use pretty much the same pace line selection guidelines he describes above

I do enter the last line for every horse ( its a snap to do this with RDSS2

and run the numbers for Phase 1 - TPR +E-L tab set to the lower panel

I then go to each horse and use the most recent Plus or Plus within a zero ( RDSS COLOR) pace line
That best represents how the horse runs its plus races at today's distance /surface
Doing this I almost always end up with the same pace line as FTL
I very rarely have to go past line 3
FTL and I did a race recently were we agreed that although line 3 fit the guidelines
it was a aberrant trouble line and line 4 was the line to use

I think thats the first time I went that far back in many races

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Rverge
Grade 1

thanks guys. i am selecting different strategies just to experiment, but do agree FTL w/ last line unless....
bill
would you direct me to the color code post explanation for the 0 + lines?
thanks