Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion > Speculator
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Speculator Speculator - FAQs, Technical Support, Examples, etc

Old 08-16-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
dugoutgold
Grade 1

running dos apps on a widescreenlaptop

For sometime I have been "attempting" to try to get the Comand prompt screen to resize both on an older sony widescreen desktop and my latest, an hp laptop with a 17inch widescreen. Oh yes, i sent to Microslops help and tryed to reset the buffers etc and nothing worked. i just gave up on the idea untill...I downloaded Tamedos for the deskto as I wantedto give the processer a break, (It was really in overload when I had spec, phonebets tote board, video, and other apps running at the same time.) and noticed that when using it in the default mode the spec screen was somewhat larger than the usual screen. Hmm, I thought wonder if this would work on a widescreen? Answer? sure does! Just dont try to fill the entire widescreen with it.
With the later Sartin programs this works fine. Warning:! dont try with the other programs that fill up the entire screen to run them on a widescreen, you will see what looks like a closeup of an old lava lamp. Also the machine will lock and will will have to turn the machine off as the vulcan nerve pinch,ie: the 3 finger reset will not even work.
So if you have a widescreen machine or plan on getting one and thinking about running spec/ val etc on it keep this in mind.

Good hunting Doug
dugoutgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:06 AM   #2
dugoutgold
Grade 1

dos in widescreen using tamedos

Scratch what I stated about spec running with tamedos not running in the fullscreen mode It fills the whole screen and looks great!, Never thought id see a dos app run in a widescreen mode!
dugoutgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

www.tamedos.com

Occasionally, when I've been working 2 tracks at the same time, it is convenient to have 2 Speculators running at the same time (installed in different directories), for ease of switching between current races. Tamedos does lighten the load on the computer processor noticeably. I have had 5 different Sartin programs running at the same time using Tamedos with no appreciable computer processor degradation (though doing so can lead to degradation of the human handicapping processor...)

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:31 PM   #4
forecast
AlwNW3X

Hi Ted,

Is it possible to run Energy on Windows XP with the use of Tamedos? If so, could you please xplain how? Thank you very much for any insight you can provide.

Forecast
forecast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
Houndog
Grade 1

Energy Windows XP

I know you addressed this question to Ted, but the answer is yes for running Energy in Windows XP. What I do is get to a command prompt and change to the directory that Energy resides. I have been able to run Energy in a Window and Full Screen mode.

THOROMATION on the other hand is a different case. The animated screens always switch to full-screen mode. In Windows 98 I have been able to run the animated screens in a window. Hope this answers your question.

As far as Tamedos I have been able to run Energy without Tamedos in Windows XP with no problem. Speculator on the other hand probably runs better with Tamedos on a Windows XP machine.

Last edited by Houndog; 09-20-2006 at 02:10 PM.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:07 PM   #6
forecast
AlwNW3X

Hi Houndog,

Thanks for your reply. I followed your directions: I got a command prompt in XP's version of DOS, and I tried running the program from the original 3.5" floppy as well as copying the disk to a directory on my hard drive and running it from there. Unfortunately, I do not even get to the password screen, where I can enter my password and use the program. I currently have a trial version of Tamedos on my XP machine, as I thought that might help.

Do you have any other suggestions for me? After a long hiatus, I've really gotten into the Methodology, and would love to use my old Energy and Kgen programs.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Forecast
forecast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #7
Houndog
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by forecast View Post
Hi Houndog,

Thanks for your reply. I followed your directions: I got a command prompt in XP's version of DOS, and I tried running the program from the original 3.5" floppy as well as copying the disk to a directory on my hard drive and running it from there. Unfortunately, I do not even get to the password screen, where I can enter my password and use the program. I currently have a trial version of Tamedos on my XP machine, as I thought that might help.

Do you have any other suggestions for me? After a long hiatus, I've really gotten into the Methodology, and would love to use my old Energy and Kgen programs.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Forecast

What are the program names in the directory you created for Energy? I do not have a password screen. At my command prompt I just type Energy then hit enter. If you could give me a directory listing that might be helpful.

The executables that I have in my Energy directory are BRUN30.EXE, ENERGY.EXE, ENGEN.EXE, and KGEN.EXE. When I want to run Energy I type Energy at the prompt. Same for ENGEN and KGEN. Hope this helps.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:08 PM   #8
partsnut
BetMix User

Quote:
Forecast: Do you have any other suggestions for me? After a long hiatus, I've really gotten into the Methodology, and would love to use my old Energy and Kgen programs.

Thanks for any help you can provide

This is how I did it:
1 - Find " Total Commander" on the internet and download a copy.
It's free shareware. Then install it. This is a "shell" program similar to Windows Explorer but it has a lot of nice features.

2 - Once you have Total Commander up and running you will see that the screen is split into two sides and that you can put the "A" on one side and the "C" directory on the other side. Put your disk for "Energy" into your "A" drive and copy the files to "C" drive in a Directory or folder you will have to create called Energy. Once this is accomplished you will need
to put an additional file into your newly created Energy folder. It is called "Everlock". If you need this file just send me an email.

3 - Once you have done all of the above, you can go back into Total Commander, Click on the Energy folder and then from the command header
which is located near the top of your screen you can access DOS.

4 - When you access DOS, type "Everload". You will get a successful response on your DOS screen. Then at the prompt, you type "Energy".

Last edited by partsnut; 10-27-2006 at 03:34 PM.
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
Fast4522
Former member

Send a message via AIM to Fast4522
Great post about using norten style commander, I have been using Winnc also a norten style commander (twin pane) for years moving stuff accross my network of 4 computers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fast4522; 09-21-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
partsnut
BetMix User

Thumbs up

Steve, thanks for the complimnent.

I was wondering when you will be posting a race for "The Friday Night Race Of The Week".
I believe it's your turn this week.

I am anxious too see what your choice will be. I'm sure it will be a good one.
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote