Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 08-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
papajohn3times
Grade 1

Trying once again to post!

Hello everyone(and so much thanks to you Ted!). I have been unable to post but Ted has helped me with this and everything else with RDSS. So just seeing if this works now
papajohn3times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
mick
Abiding Student

Ted's like that. Helpful, I mean. I think you're in business.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
Mitch44
Grade 1

You have it. Welcome aboard papajohn3times.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
papajohn3times
Grade 1

thank you!Thank

thanks! Yes from the 1st time I contacted Ted about the Sartin groups,he has been nothing but helpful! So I can tell you a little about me! I started with Doc after hearing some audio tapes made by Dick Mitchell. He raved about the win percentages the Pirco group was getting, I joined and told Mary Sartin,that I just needed a program to just seperate the contenders I picked BOY WAS I WRONG! I started with a hand held computer and the basic phase 1 I think program, I attended 6 seminars,3 in Vegas and 3 in Albany(driveable from Michigan!) I moved on the Synergism,Thoromation and finally Synthesis, I was fooling my self because at the time I was betting "SCARED MONEY" as I had a family to support and was constantly betting small amounts because I knew I had bills to pay Bob Purdy told me what I was doing,NOT BETTING TO WIN BUT BETTING NOT TO LOSE Health,work and personal problems caused me to quit for 11 years! For some strange reason,I looked up SARTIN on the internet and found this site and RDSS! I now am retired and on disability so I have money to invest and no longer bet scared(well most of the time!)money. I have concentrated on really only 2 tracks,Belmont and now Saratoga and Woodbine Most of my profits have come from Woodbine. Really great mutuals from horses almost always in my top 3 blbl and looking for lone early horses on the TPR screen For the 1st time in a long time,I am showing a nice profit over the last 6 months I have used RDSS and re-read MODERN PACE HANDICAPPING,MY NOTES FROM PACE MAKES THE RACE AS I NO LONGER HAVE A COPY,HANDICAPPING MAGIC BY MICHAEL PIZZOLLA,FORM CYCLES BY MARK CRAMER(I had the pleasure of meeting him and attending the races at the now abolished Detroit race course,we had a mutual friend in a fellow named Edgar which was the basis of his hero in his great boo SCARED MONEY(ironic I guess! Anyway enough about me. I just wanted to chime in,see if I found out how to post and thank all of you who contribute so greatly to my growning knowledge of handicapping! I especially love reading threads from Bill V,Bill Lyster,For the lead,Ted of course and my favorite,Ritchie P. Again thanks to all of you!!
papajohn3times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Hey John, you made it - welcome (though I know you've been lurking here for a while - successfully too)!

Let us hear how the progress goes, getting to the full glory of your handicapping and betting skills again.

Now I'm going to have to dust off my old copy of Scared Money and re-read it. John, have you read Mark Cramer's contributions to the Follow Ups, and review of Doc's Betting Line (which became the BL/BL): http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6229

And remember - paragraphs are your friends

Cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
Tim Y
turf historian

At FIRST, tis best to completely DISREGARD all else but the rules of the methodology....It is THE HORSE, THE HORSE, THE HORSE and not the rider, ferrier, hotwalker, groom, vet, or trainer who run out there.

Just an idea: try to find current pacelines that reflect decent early paces of race. DON'T get fooled by a high speed rating in a router that goes in something like 49 4/5 and 1:14 2/5 as it will project too good as compared with animals coming in from paces of races like 47.3/5, 1:12 2/5, IF you see horses that ran S or S/P all the time wiht a single LATE in the list, forget the LATE line. Use the higher rated E/EP lines as your guide because if an animal is not CLOSE to the pace, (EXCEPT ON THE GRASS) they have little chance of getting up. As a matter of fact, horses that rule the first fraction OFTEN sneak off wire to wire and boxcars MUCH more often than a late one catching a collapsing pace.

To make the match up "work" best, one needs to find SIMILAR paces of race that the contenders ran against. Having a similar yardstick for comparison makes it easier. Unless there is a real complete DROP in a horses form. DON'T be afraid to go back many lines to find one that is similar. One sure sign of a horse going off form is if the last three races are similar (pace of race) and the horse is running less INTO the contest over the last three, i.e. rising % median.

Let the ODDS board, NOT THE RANKINGS in the program direct your wagers. It is a game of gambling not handicapping and let the markets offered be you guide...In the LONG run it will make a considerable difference.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
Brian Chamberlain
RDSS Student

Hey John, quick note: Mark Cramer's review of Sartin Methodology--I believe Val2 since that is what I was using at the time--really got me believing I could make this a profitable hobby. Mark's demo showed a profit merely flat betting the BL/BL, very impressive. And this was after he previously thought Sartin followers were a cult! I don't know if he is still writing or even around, I used to love his unorthodox approach and intellectual honesty.
Take care,
Brian
Brian Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #8
TEPLHORSE
AlwNW1X

How do you initialize a post?

I am a new member for the past year but never learned how to initialize a post. Can anyone explain? Thanks!
TEPLHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:11 PM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLHORSE View Post
I am a new member for the past year but never learned how to initialize a post. Can anyone explain? Thanks!
Welcome! Click on the General Forum link (or whatever Forum is appropriate for your message) - then click the New Thread button, near the upper-left area of the Forums list. Then compose your message in the MEssage editor just like you did for this Reply!

Give it a go, and feel free to introduce yourself as well!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:18 AM   #10
jms62
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
At FIRST, tis best to completely DISREGARD all else but the rules of the methodology....It is THE HORSE, THE HORSE, THE HORSE and not the rider, ferrier, hotwalker, groom, vet, or trainer who run out there.

Just an idea: try to find current pacelines that reflect decent early paces of race. DON'T get fooled by a high speed rating in a router that goes in something like 49 4/5 and 1:14 2/5 as it will project too good as compared with animals coming in from paces of races like 47.3/5, 1:12 2/5, IF you see horses that ran S or S/P all the time wiht a single LATE in the list, forget the LATE line. Use the higher rated E/EP lines as your guide because if an animal is not CLOSE to the pace, (EXCEPT ON THE GRASS) they have little chance of getting up. As a matter of fact, horses that rule the first fraction OFTEN sneak off wire to wire and boxcars MUCH more often than a late one catching a collapsing pace.

To make the match up "work" best, one needs to find SIMILAR paces of race that the contenders ran against. Having a similar yardstick for comparison makes it easier. Unless there is a real complete DROP in a horses form. DON'T be afraid to go back many lines to find one that is similar. One sure sign of a horse going off form is if the last three races are similar (pace of race) and the horse is running less INTO the contest over the last three, i.e. rising % median.

Let the ODDS board, NOT THE RANKINGS in the program direct your wagers. It is a game of gambling not handicapping and let the markets offered be you guide...In the LONG run it will make a considerable difference.
Yes and the considerable difference will be missing the ROI boosting longshots and gravitate to bankroll busting favorites. This may be the worst piece of advice anyone has ever offered on these threads. So bad that it has brought me out of retirement to post. This game is about Win quality not win quantity. This tool is all about finding the diamonds in the rough which are overlooked on the Tote board. Now back into retirement I go.
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote