Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 02-28-2018, 03:12 AM   #1
GDP
Maiden

The Match Up 2

How/where can I get a copy of The Match Up 2?
If possible the book;
if needed a scanned version.
I live in Brussels/Belgium/Europe.
Many thanks in advance.
GDP
GDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
The Pook
Grade 1

Apparently it is hard to find but everything that is in it is in the Hat Check on this forum.

Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

As I understand it there were only 100 copies printed. I may be wrong. Richie would have a better idea I'm sure.
Even though everything is in the Hat Check, I'd still love to read it.

I've seen it on sale on Amazon for $400. Presumably somebody bought it as it's no longer listed.
DaveEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP View Post
How/where can I get a copy of The Match Up 2?
If possible the book;
if needed a scanned version.
I live in Brussels/Belgium/Europe.
Many thanks in advance.
GDP
Read this: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10121

It is a compilation of everything written in the Matchup Forum by Richie and by Jim Bradshaw. Nothing in the Match Up 2 book is missing from this document - there is no other 'secret sauce'. The Match Up Forum IS the advanced course in The Match Up - well beyond the book.

I used to have 2 copies of The Matchup 2 and used to lend one of them for years. One time, it did not come back. Now I have only 1 copy - the one autographed by The Hat. Its travelling days are over ...

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

One time, it did not come back.

Oh my word, that is really poor form. Even if there was an excuse.
DaveEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:38 AM   #6
GDP
Maiden

Hello Ted,
Thanks for your reply.
1) I am not looking for a course; I am looking for a book that I can later give as a present to someone who cares and for who I care.
2) A forum is not a course. You could either ask somedody to reduce the compilation to a document of 50 pages maximum that can serve as a basic course and that can be further discussed in the forum. Or, perhaps better, you could ask somebody to update the Red Manual and get rid of the (typo?) errors that are in it.I believe RichieP would be the ideal person to do that.
Kind regards,
GDP
PS. I am willing to help, if needed.
GDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:43 AM   #7
RichieP
Grade 1

Hi GDP,
The best thing to do if you don't want to use the forum as your classroom and want something in print is to focus on the "5 Step Approach". Print that out, study it til it becomes second nature and go forward on races. Jim's Matchup centers around his 5 Step Approach and that is definitely something for you to have and pass on. Jim would love that told me he didn't want his work forgotten about.

As far as me jumping in and editing a manual sorry but I have many other commitments to family and work that take up virtually all of my time. Life moves on in a wonderful and Blessed way.

Best wishes to you and yours!
Richie
Old 03-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #8
raceman5
Grade 1

Match Up 2

If you really want to learn the Match-Up read the compilation that Ted posted. That's the way I learned it. It took me about 6 mths of hard work to learn it. It is 100 times better than the book. To learn the Match-Up you're going to have to practice practice and more practice. Ask the guys on this board and they will all tell you they had to pay a price for the success they are enjoying now. The Match-Up 2 book will not make you a success. And to tell you the truth I review the compilation 3 times a yr. Because sometimes our brain gets lazy and every time I do the review I will always say, dam I forgot about that. In the words of Forest Gump "That's all, i'm going to say about that".

Bob
raceman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:44 PM   #9
MikeB
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceman5 View Post
If you really want to learn the Match-Up read the compilation that Ted posted.
I agree. I don't have the second book, but I do have Jim's first book. It is an intro, but the average person without The Hat's intuitive understanding of horses would never progress enough from that book to master the concepts. The "5 Step Approach" gets your foot in the door at least as well as The Hat's first book, and the only way to progress from there is with the compilation.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:37 AM   #10
MikeB
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP View Post
A forum is not a course. You could either ask somebody to reduce the compilation to a document of 50 pages maximum that can serve as a basic course and that can be further discussed in the forum.
I didn't ask someone to do it, I did it for myself. No better way to learn a subject.

Hint: the core principles of the method can be reduced to a lot less than 50 pages. The compilation is heavy on examples, also a good teaching methodology depending on how you learn.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote