Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 03-20-2020, 09:40 PM   #1
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Books

First of all, I hope that you all are keeping your Social Distance from people, and I hope that you can simply stay home.

It's a crazy time in the world, and Toronto has become a Ghost Town. I live by the Zoo, and it is usually a good 45 - 1 hour and 15 minute drive to the Airport. This morning, I did the drive in 17 minutes.

My group question is about Books. What books if any, have helped you in your education of handicapping the ponies. (Besides Sartin)

The Derby in September - Wow.
Things are strange right now.
AND NO HOCKEY!!!!

Happy Punting,
Jon
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:18 PM   #2
Mitch44
Grade 1

I would say Brohammer's and Quiren books.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
CheckMark
Conley

I have way to many books that I have purchased but here are the titles that I think are the best books that everyone should get to improve your game:

Betting Thoroughbreds: A Professional's Guide for the Horseplayer
Book by Steve Davidowitz

Finding The Hidden Horse
Book by Conrad Crease

Today’s Correct Number
Book by Kelso Sturgeon

Any of Jim Mazur’s Handicapper books or Crushing The Cup

Steve has taught me a lot about different things that are useful in Handicapping. Crease made me a longshot player ever since I purchased the book last year and have had great days using his “tells” that he shows in the book like workouts, early speed(very helpful), trainer/jockey, cutback distance, back class and also late speed. TCN by Kelso Sturgeon has helped me look at DRF speed figures differently and the winner on the system will be in the top 4 in most races. And finally Jim Mazurs books like the Woodbine Handicapper or Crushing The Cup have helped me in Handicapping these specific meets/days.

These books should help and horseplayer, especially Finding The Hidden Horse since it has made me a Longshot player since that day in December of 2019.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:22 AM   #4
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Much appreciated

Thank you all for the replies.

Stay well, good reading, and Happy Punting!

Jon
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
mick
Abiding Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pagine View Post
What books if any, have helped you in your education of handicapping the ponies. (Besides Sartin)
Recreational Handicapping by Jim Quinn, published in 1990. I learned to play profitably from that book. When the chapters on making your own pace and speed figures became obsolete and a few other topics were showing their age, I began to harass him about revising it. In 2012, he finally published a revision titled The Complete Handicapper. While he wasn't a member of PIRCO, he worked with them from time to time, primarily on contender selection. He and Brohamer became best friends and handicapping partners after Brohamer left PIRCO. Jim is a thoroughly nice man and a gentleman.

Dangerous question for me, Jon. I have a rather large collection on handicapping and even after winnowing it down a few times, I still have over a hundred books. (I've kept many of them, most woefully out-of-date, because they're autographed.) I could write at length about your question but I'll just leave it there.

By the way, I think Ted has a much bigger handicapping collection. I can't think of a time when I've mentioned a book to him that he didn't have. And I'm sure there are other members of Pace and Cap with sizable book collections too. I look forward to other responses. It should be interesting.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
Rverge
Grade 1

any thing by Dick Mitchell. "Common Sense Handicapping" is one. and there is one on this site in the book section. can not remember the name
Old 03-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
shoeless
Grade 1

Fast and Fit Horses by Bob Heyburn Doc recommended this one

Calibration Handicapping by Jim Lehane

Handicapping Magic by Pizzolla
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #8
Pat C.
Grade 2

Books

Ted, I don"t know if this is allowed, if not please delete it. But for anyone interested in doing some socially isolated reading, I am selling my library of 10 handicapping books.

My brain has taken all of this info in and apparently has a retention problem from the looks of my wagers. Maybe someone else can pick up a tip or two to use alongside RDSS.

The Match Up (1st Edition), Jim 'The Hat' Bradshaw

Beyer On Speed , Andrew Beyer

Modern Pace Handicapping, Tom Brohammer

Handicapping 101 , Brad Free

The Handicappers Condition Book, James Quinn

Bet With The Best 2 Longshots, DRF Press

Winning Insights Into Betting Thoroughbreds, Dave Litfin

Betting Thoroughbreds 2nd Edition, Steven Davidowitz

The Psychology of Thoroughbred Handicapping, Thomas Wilson

The Body Language of Horses, Tom Ainslie & Bonnie Ledbetter

Anyone interested, I am asking $100 for all. You pay actual shipping. No Bidding. First come, first served.

Thanks, Pat
Pat C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

No problem Pat!

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #10
rdiam
Grade 1

As many of you know, I believe that bet structuring is paramount in order to show +EV. In this regard I highly recommend "Betting with an Edge" by Mike Maloney. He not only talks the talk, he walks the walk. I you want to understand how to bet (as well as who to bet), read and study this book. Good luck.

Richard
rdiam is offline   Reply With Quote