Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #21
Mitch44
Grade 1

CheckMark; I hope that eye is mending real well and I wish you all the best of health.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:59 PM   #22
Capcondo
Grade 1

Ted,

Thanks for posting the link to this paper on the pandemic. Everyone should read this today. There is a link in the paper to his other piece "The Hammer and the Dance" which is worth reading as well.

Hope you are well and thanks.

Don't look back. You're not going that way.
Capcondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:06 AM   #23
jdcaldwell
AlwNW1X

I've been sorta lurking around paceandcap lately. Stepped away over a year ago due to health reasons and had to retire from work in September. I've been working my way back.

Following the races lately has been a good diversion for me. I hope it can continue through the COVID mess. Everyone take care of yourselves.
jdcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #24
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcaldwell View Post
I've been sorta lurking around paceandcap lately. Stepped away over a year ago due to health reasons and had to retire from work in September. I've been working my way back.

Following the races lately has been a good diversion for me. I hope it can continue through the COVID mess. Everyone take care of yourselves.
Hey JD, so good to hear from you again! That's good news you are on a positive trajectory from your illness. And these days, we need all the mental and physical stimulation we can get while trapped indoors. Indeed, being able to solve these mental puzzles of a horse race and test our prowess via the feedback system of the mutuel pricing system can be a blessing in keeping us mentally fit, even optimistic.

Hope your health continues in a positive direction, and that you catch a few winners along the way.

Stay safe!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #25
CheckMark
Conley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch44 View Post
CheckMark; I hope that eye is mending real well and I wish you all the best of health.

Mitch44
Mitch,

My eye is getting better resting and trying to use the drops as directed. Thanks for checking in and same for you and you family! (800 posts!)
Old 04-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #26
Dorianmode
always learning

I'm about 2, almost 3 weeks out from exposure in the hospital. I was lucky.
Stay well.
And remember, .... only breath out. Don't breath in.
Dorianmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:14 PM   #27
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Tom, will you have to return to hospital duty once presumed virus-free? I have heard in many areas, even in Canada, it's all-hands-on-deck.

If so, our prayers go with you! Medical professionals are the front-line 'troops' in this war.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:05 PM   #28
The Pook
Grade 1

There is some good news. I have been keeping my own database of confirmed new infections in different countries for two weeks.

China and South Korea are flat around .1% increase per day for many days now.

The most reliable data from Italy because the numbers are so large and for so long, have flattened at 4% for a week and are trending slightly down. The US, UK, and Canada have all gone down 4 days running. Quarantines seem to be working. Italy has had it the worst although Spain seems bad. At this point the US is at half of Italy's infection percentage and Canada is at a quarter of it. That has held steady for a while. And that is a lot of US people.

But overall, for now, things seem to be trending down even though peaks have not been reached. What it all means for this coming to an end, I have no idea.

Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:01 PM   #29
Dorianmode
always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Tom, will you have to return to hospital duty once presumed virus-free? I have heard in many areas, even in Canada, it's all-hands-on-deck.

If so, our prayers go with you! Medical professionals are the front-line 'troops' in this war.

Ted
I've been doing consults by tele-medicine.

The exposure was to a staff nurse whose wife is an ICU nurse, and they both got sick, and now are getting better. I'm hearing about "survivors" more and more, and there are places where the "apex" is not as dire as was modeled, because many people are really doing social distancing. As soon as this is somewhat under control, I'm going to complete my retirement, and go live on a mountain top in California.
Dorianmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #30
barb craven
Grade 1

This is a long one, so feel free to skip it.

This past week we've been told to wear masks when outside, so I've been researching what would be best, given most of the population would not have acesss to a medical mask. The consensus seemed to be that two layers of tightly woven cotton, with a pocket for a filter that can be disposed of , and elastic to go around the ears was the best alternative. A few patterns called for some piece of metal along the top of the mask that could be molded around the nose would be better, if you could find something like, - say, - for wont of something better, a large paper clip.

Armed with my newfound knowledge, I went rummaging through my sewing stash (I used to be a quilter and couldn't bring myself to get rid of any of it when I down-sized and moved 5 years ago). I had lots of material, so that wasn't a problem. I found I had elastic from wayyyy back - would probably do. Filters were a problem because I don't make my coffee with a machine that uses them. Back to my stash, and I came up with a product called pelham, which is a non-woven product used to stiffen or give body to a garment. Mine was very light weight and could be a permanent part of the mask.

Lastly was the metal piece for the nose. I could use a paper clip in a pinch, but after a long hard think, I remembered how we used to store printed missives by punching holes in the paper and putting them in soft covered binders that had metal strips you folded back to keep everything together. I'm a pack rat when it comes to things like that and came up with about a dozen.

It's taken me two days to try various designs and sizes, but I finished one the middle of this afternoon. I've been wearing it ever since to check it's breathability. It's okay. It's washable in hot soapy water, or even boilable if you want to take it one step further. Below is the result. If anyone has a partner or is into sewing yourself I'd be happy to share the directions

Name:  mask small.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  68.5 KB
Barb

Last edited by Ted Craven; 04-08-2020 at 07:13 PM. Reason: paragraphs
barb craven is offline   Reply With Quote