Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 07-04-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
sq764
AlwNW3X

Sartin Method Calculator

Anyone heard of or used Sartin Method Pro Calculator?

Just saw that the other day and wondered what it was about..
sq764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
socantra
Grade 1

It's a nice little program, but the title says it all. Its just a calculator. It spits out the fractions in feet per second, with EP, SP, SP & FX for all the pacelines, using either manual input or the BRIS or TSN datafiles.

Looks like they are all raw times, no adjustments. He's also got a new procedure for %early which he thinks is more indicative. I haven't checked it yet.

Dick...
socantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:06 AM   #3
Jason Troy
Maiden

Hey
Jason Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
Jeebs
Grade 1

As the late Dick Schmidt indicated in this post from years ago, it is a raw numbers calculator. Nothing is adjusted. Unless you are using a 32-bit Windows, the program won’t work anyway. And forget about support, as Bob Pitlak has been dead over 2 1/2 years.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
Mitch44
Grade 1

Why brother with an inferior program? Sartin evolved from that very basic stuff to much better programs. Their all contained in RDSS which includes all adjustments.

The Sartin calculator just doesn't match Sartin's best and is more like playing checkers or chess with a 1 year old. Good luck with it if that's your choice but only go with RDSS if you want the best of Sartin and to win.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Could be a 'slip of the wrist' by Jason Troy? Everyone was looking for interesting post-Sartin stuff back in 2005 in that first month of PaceandCap. (Though, Bill V had been doing his VDC Messenger Yahoo list for a year already - that's how I found my way here).

And, Socantra (Dick) is not Dick Schmidt.

Aside from that, I agree with everything else, in modern times Onwards and upwards in 2018!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:43 AM   #7
Jason Troy
Maiden

Is anyone familiar with the program A Odds by the “ Hat “ ? Are those adjustments valid? What was the general opinion of that software? It was given to me recently to put on my old Windows XP computer. I’ve used RDSS but stopped due to its poor performance on my cheap little Windows 10 computer. When I upgrade I’ll return to RDSS. For now I’m using A Odds and Pizzolla’s TMM and BLAM. I wish, as I listen to the old tapes that ENERGY was still available for Windows 10. I would like to see the EMUV and SMUV and EXDC at work today. A program that designated the VIRAGATE would be great. Well, anyone with knowledge about A Odds please respond. THANKS
Jason Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I'm certain folks have run Energy and other older programs in Dosbox (64 bit version) on Windows 10. Is there any discussion about that in the Older Sartin Programs Forum? If I can find my copy, I'll put it on Win 10 in Dosbox and give it a go.

I AM curious though re the poor performance of RDSS on your 'cheap little' Win 10 computer - you run Black Magic on it with no problems? From what I know of the BLAM framework (software) - it can't be much less requiring of computer resources than RDSS Do you mind saying how much memory and what CPU processor your computer uses (or the model)?

Cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
dlivery
Grade 1

Just a quick reply
Waiting for Dell Intel 5 Laptop
Im sure there will not any issues
Can not wait for it to be dlivered
Old 01-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #10
Jeebs
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
I'm certain folks have run Energy and other older programs in Dosbox (64 bit version) on Windows 10. Is there any discussion about that in the Older Sartin Programs Forum? If I can find my copy, I'll put it on Win 10 in Dosbox and give it a go.

I AM curious though re the poor performance of RDSS on your 'cheap little' Win 10 computer - you run Black Magic on it with no problems? From what I know of the BLAM framework (software) - it can't be much less requiring of computer resources than RDSS Do you mind saying how much memory and what CPU processor your computer uses (or the model)?

Cheers,

Ted
From my experience, Val4/Spec did not work on Windows 10 in DosBox... Got several dbf errors. Had to run it on VirtualBox Windows XP to make them both work.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote